You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

List your favourite American Bands (for the US tournament)

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, PestiRed said:

This competition needs some rules - what defines a vocal group, where does rap sit on the vocal group question, does a frontman and backing band count, how do you define a backing band so that it counts etc

Might be worth splitting up into time periods

<1970 from jazz, swing & early blues through to the sixties’ bands

1970-1989 

1990 onwards

last 8 from each group go to final competition

Hip hop is tricky, and not just because Run DMC once said a DJ could be a band.

A group like Beastie Boys for example, play instruments on some songs, but have production and DJ sampling on others so where do you draw the line?

• Upvote 1

Jefferson Airplane were shit. Sixth form, hippy trippy crap with two decent songs. Surrealistic Pillow is as weak as piss. 

I'm surprised by the lack of quality in the US competition - I thought it'd be much stronger than the British version but when it's written down I think the Brits have higher quality. The Beatles, Led Zep, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who - the US has nothing like these. 

I think the US has a very strong individual performers - Prince, Elvis, Jackson,  Houston, Roy Orbison, Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Madonna, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Springsteen etc etc. That's a different competition I guess. And Bowie would beat all them, anyway.

How is it that these two small islands (throwing in the island of Ireland) have created so much great rock and pop music? 

19 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Jefferson Airplane were shit. Sixth form, hippy trippy crap with two decent songs. Surrealistic Pillow is as weak as piss. 

I'm surprised by the lack of quality in the US competition - I thought it'd be much stronger than the British version but when it's written down I think the Brits have higher quality. The Beatles, Led Zep, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who - the US has nothing like these. 

I think the US has a very strong individual performers - Prince, Elvis, Jackson,  Houston, Roy Orbison, Dylan, Buddy Holly, Springsteen etc etc. That's a different competition I guess. And Bowie would beat all them, anyway.

How is it that these two small islands (throwing in the island of Ireland) have created so much great rock and pop music? 

English being the language of pop culture?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The winners of this should comfortably be Metallica.

Anyways, given so many bands, how is this going to be worked out? A 128 team head to head seems a bit much.

Some groups maybe?

My guess is it is going to be worked out according to actual lists of 20 bands which people who bothered to read the OP actually submitted, rather than all the individual names being thrown around in comments. Stig will then add some of his favourites not making the cut.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah it could be a language thing, or a western culture thing.

It is probably a combination of factors which benefited the British scene, from the emergence of the pop culture in the early 60s with teenagers having a lot of disposable income, ease with which American influences could be adopted and further refined and developed, the position of the English language in the globalized culture, strength of the domestic music industry with UK topping the table of individual spending on music for years, which translated into incentives and so on.  

The concept isn't mention a band that possibly has not been mentioned yet, the concept is make a list of 20 bands you would like to see in the tournament. Regardless of how many times they have been mentioned before.

You can, however, list strategically, i.e. if you want Nirvana and see it has been mentioned enough to make the cut, you can leave it out and include your other favorite in the 20 instead. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, johnsusername said:

To be fair Britain doesn't have anyone like those bands anymore either. They all came out of the same period. The depth in the US bucket is far deeper in quality than the Brit one.

41 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

To be fair Britain doesn't have anyone like those bands anymore either. They all came out of the same period. The depth in the US bucket is far deeper in quality than the Brit one.

I dunno, I think with people listing the likes of Limp Bizkit, Foreigner, Starship, Survivor and Heart then the bucket can't run that deep. 

• Upvote 1