You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

List your favourite American Bands (for the US tournament)

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

So some fella has to at least play an instrument?

The Jackson Five are getting by on Tito playing the guitar?

I think that'll be a sticking point, otherwise where is

Muddy Waters

Howlin Wolf

Ray Charles

Aretha Franklin

Etta James

Marvin, Smokey, Otis

It would need 128 places minimum

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Hah, was going to put the Highwaymen in.

Easily a match for the Wilburys.

Absolutely love them. 

Remember being stupid enough to read YouTube comments once. Someone asked who the fraud was singing with Johnny, Waylon and Willie, he didn't deserve to be on the stage apparently 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

So some fella has to at least play an instrument?

The Jackson Five are getting by on Tito playing the guitar?

Well there's only 2 people in Suicide but they are deffo a band. They made all the noise with just the two of them. 

Jermaine played bass as well. 

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Cuz they are solo artists?

So for a duo to count one of them has to play an instrument? Simon and Garfunkel is a band?

Nah, I was specifically referring to the ‘128 places’ bit. A big tournament would be great. Obviously, Simon and Garfunkel are a duo rather than a band. Pet Shop Boys, also a duo, were in the British tournament.

4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Nah, I was referring specifically to the 128 entrants bit. Obviously, Simon and Garfunkel are a duo rather than a band. Pet Shop Boys, also a duo, were in the British tournament.

If acts are getting in without a band element it just too many artists to count. 

Just now, cloggypop said:

And pretty much everything else on Motown. Goes against it and the Stax stuff going in really. 

Still can't believe I didn't do better in the band draft. Fucking disgrace it was

Otis Redding - Vocals

Duane Allman - Lead Guitar 

Eddie 'Chank', Willis - Ryth Guitar 

Al Jackson jnr - Drums

James Jamerson - Bass

Booker T Jones - Organ/Piano

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Good picks here - I think all are in with a shout. Not sure the MC5 and the Stooges can both get in and the last I would pass on.

On the JB's - that is one of the great groups in the history of music but I dont think they count with James Brown and he didn't really bill himself with the band. There are records with his name and the Famous Flames but the JB's were a backing band and not really acknowledged on the records.

Yeah, you are right on the JBs, but they did go and play on some other records, like with Fred Wesley, and were the pre-cursors of Parliament with the Collins boys.

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah, you are right on the JBs, but they did go and play on some other records, like with Fred Wesley, and were the pre-cursors of Parliament with the Collins boys.

Check out Life on Planet Groove. That is Maceo, Pee-Wee Ellis and Fred with a killer rhythm section recorded live - playing all the JB's instrumental hits and other stuff. Kenwood Dennard is ridiculously great on that date, Larry Goldings is playing organ bass with his fuckin feet. 

This competition needs some rules - what defines a vocal group, where does rap sit on the vocal group question, does a frontman and backing band count, how do you define a backing band so that it counts etc

Might be worth splitting up into time periods

<1970 from jazz, swing & early blues through to the sixties’ bands

1970-1989 

1990 onwards

last 8 from each group go to final competition