You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 2. Duran Duran vs The Who

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 2. Duran Duran vs The Who  

70 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 2. Duran Duran vs The Who

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/20 at 07:09

1 minute ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’m surprised Duran Duran are being sacrificed. I thought they be held back to be cannon fodder for Oasis in the next round. 

That was the original plan, then Stig saw what a close run thing it was vs The Fall and decided he couldn't risk it. He's now going for the tried and tested 'throw a double 6, land on Chance and get a 'go straight to the final' card'.

4 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Can't be doing with either of them but The Who gets it. Purely because everyone I knew at school was listening to Duran Duran about the time I started listening to Crass and I despised everything to do with Duran Duran. 

Crass was where I drew the line, I was into very political bands but some basic talent and musical ability had to be there too.

Where were you when we needed to dust off double and triple accounts to fend of the Dire Straits mob?

22 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Crass was where I drew the line, I was into very political bands but some basic talent and musical ability had to be there too.

Not many bands write a riff like White Feathers (one of the most satisfying arpeggios to play for me).

Not many bands then choose to screech and warble over it to completely undermine that riff, mind you...

Worth revisiting the remasters as it gets rid of a lot of the issues that ultimately came down to them making most their music in a shed outside dial house. They have a set of songs that can hold up to most other punk bands of any era.

41 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Going to be a lot of focus on the next round. If Oasis get another soft tie I think the whole competition loses credibility. Of course that may be just how the draw worked but he will be feeling the pressure if that’s how the dice rolled. Am genuinely interested in what happens. 

Credibility? It’s a bands tournament on the GF! People are voting for their favourites, it’s supposed to be fun, some light entertainment.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Where were you when we needed to dust off double and triple accounts to fend of the Dire Straits mob?

Pretty busy these days mate, just saw all the musical posts today.

Crass played some fantastic music as well as the out-there stuff. Bloody Revolutions, Big A Little A, Sheepfarming in the Falklands. Stations of the Crass a fantastic album too.  

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Not many bands write a riff like White Feathers (one of the most satisfying arpeggios to play for me).

Not many bands then choose to screech and warble over it to completely undermine that riff, mind you...

Worth revisiting the remasters as it gets rid of a lot of the issues that ultimately came down to them making most their music in a shed outside dial house. They have a set of songs that can hold up to most other punk bands of any era.

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Pretty busy these days mate, just saw all the musical posts today.

Crass played some fantastic music as well as the out-there stuff. Bloody Revolutions, Big A Little A, Sheepfarming in the Falklands. Stations of the Crass a fantastic album too.  

I don't know, maybe I gave up on them too soon, I was attracted by the radicalism, Crass were "the real thing" whilst Pistols and the Clash "sold out", but it all sounded as if the creative process went like this: there were new lyrics written and whoever in the collective was there that day, provided some improvised musical accompaniment, along the similar lines as before.

At the time, I was already into early Laibach, Neubauten, Swans, later into Test Dept and it all sounded musically much more exciting and new, whilst equally "edgy" and radical.  

7 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Going to be a lot of focus on the next round. If Oasis get another soft tie I think the whole competition loses credibility. Of course that may be just how the draw worked but he will be feeling the pressure if that’s how the dice rolled. Am genuinely interested in what happens. 

Well considering that unlike you I’m not a billy bullshitter I think you’ll find it’s all been done fair and square. 

14 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Fuck me you’re a touchy cunt. Maybe take life a tad less seriously. I’m sure it’s all above board. Pm the things you think i have made up and I will send your proof. I don’t have a picture of the old lady but I do have the broken bits of manhole cover if you are that fussed. Ps I’m enjoying the competition. 

Fucking hell mate maybe you aren't an ex poster after all. 

8 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Credibility? It’s a bands tournament on the GF! People are voting for their favourites, it’s supposed to be fun, some light entertainment.

Speak for yourself tone I've got a big bet on who wins this, Im staking  my 1997 christmas shoot album, with Kevin Keegan on the cover (before he smashed his face in falling off a push bike on superstars). Oasis to win the tournament. High Flying birds second, Beady Eye third. 

• Upvote 1