You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 2. Roxy Music vs Pink Floyd

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 2. Roxy Music vs Pink Floyd  

69 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 2. Roxy Music vs Pink Floyd

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/08/20 at 07:24

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You can be a great musician but you can't play music that everybody likes. We are also doing a band contest so your love affair with Prince will have to wait until Stig does the US artists under 4 foot tall competition.

Cream are out, thankfully. 

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You can be a great musician but you can't play music that everybody likes. We are also doing a band contest so your love affair with Prince will have to wait until Stig does the US artists under 4 foot tall competition.

Righto, Ibut I ever brought it up Numero did, I was replying to his post where he seemed  derogatory over the mans talents . I'm merely stating that imo if you dont appreciate Prince for his musical skills you're barking up the wrong tree 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Wait until we do the US bands one and people start saying Neal Schon isn't one of the great guitarists 

His playing on Santana III & Caravanserai is off the charts.

This is quite fucking good too...

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Oh dear, I've tried not to respond to your ridiculous posts the last couple of days but you really havnt got a clue.

Prince is one of the greatest guitar players ever to grace this planet and  so was ZZ tops Billy Gibbons.

When it comes to Princes musical skills I think I'll listen to one master talking about another master rather than an ill informed idiot on the internet.

Here you go 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/04/22/defying-description-zz-tops-billy-gibbons-on-prince-the-sensational-guitarist/

Show me a better tribute to George Harrison than this,  Utter class 

Built like she was, she had the nerve to ask me if I planned to do her any harm. 

One of my favourite lines in a song. 

40 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Dickey Betts was awesome.

That line up of

Greg, Duane, Dickey, Berry, Jaimo and Butch was just immense. God knows how good they'd have been in a few years. Losing Duane and Berry within a year both only 24. 

Tell you what though they could easily be in with a shout of having the greatest guitarists of all time in one band. Probably them or the yardbird 

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I don’t see it that way, I think the dye was cast with Prince as the stunted sex pest phase and most won’t look beyond that, which is a huge shame as I agree he’s one of the very top tier.

I think the only thing to hold against him is quality control, which is going to be exacerbated when the Paisley hard drive is milked for all it’s worth by  whoever manages to claim rights to it eventually.

I think he’ll be passed around by music nerds forever though and will always blow people’s minds.

Stunted sex pest was Prince's best stuff.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

When Eric Clapton (not bad, not bad on the axe) was asked his veiws on guitar playing as Clapton was regarded at that time as the worlds greatest guitar player,  he replied  "I dont know you better go ask prince" probably untrue but that's the regard and it didnt get a denial.

https://slate.com/culture/2016/04/why-prince-was-the-greatest-guitarist-since-jimi-hendrix.html

I think I will listen to my own ears, Billy Gibbons, Tom Petty and Eric Clapton on how great a  great guitar player Prince was. They're not wrong. 

It's definitely untrue mate. Hendrix said it on TV and it was "better go ask Phil Keaggy."

Incidentally, Harrison's son has since kinda dissed the performance as "gratuitous".

Prince didn't run it through during rehearsal - just played it that once, live. Was burning on it.

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm voting for the losers again, for no better reason than I like more Roxy songs than Pink Floyd ones.

I thought of doing that for the same reasons as you but I don't even like Roxy Music that much. Pink Floyd seem to have left some kind of legacy according to people of repute within the music industry. 

12 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Prince wouldn't even with Minnesota artists under 4 foot tall competition.

I've voted Pink Floyd but I think it's closer than people are making out. 

Personally, it's a drugs thing. When Bryan Ferry started caning the coke, the music went to shite (like quite a lot of bands really) while Floyd seemed more acid and pot, which arguably helped their music develop.