You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 2. Roxy Music vs Pink Floyd

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 2. Roxy Music vs Pink Floyd  

69 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 2. Roxy Music vs Pink Floyd

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/08/20 at 07:24

23 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Easily Roxy for me. Do like Syd though and Eno has to shoulder some responsibility for the popularity of U2. 

Do some people think of Roxy as some 80s new wave easy listening group I wonder. When for the first few albums they were pretty Avant Garde and experimental - just as much as Pink Floyd. 

Just now, johnsusername said:

Do some people think of Roxy as some 80s new wave easy listening group I wonder. When for the first few albums they were pretty Avant Garde and experimental - just as much as Pink Floyd. 

Much more interesting to have a smoke to than most of the Floyd output. 

Tricky bleeder. I probably should vote for Pink Floyd, they’ll no doubt win this and of course they’re one of the most influential bands of all time. 

Roxy Music are no mugs here though and I probably listen to them more. They certainly deserve to go down fighting.

I need to think on it.

It might come down to Shine On You Crazy Diamond v More Than This. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Seriously losing faith with this forum with how close this is. 

The GF is going to shit

No, most people are seemingly unaware of Roxys’ early work, you think of Roxy Music and you think of Ferrys’ lounge lizard schtick which is to do this band a massive disservice. Their early work with Brian Eno produced 3 albums as good as anything anywhere by anybody. Outstanding band.

• Upvote 1

Bryan Ferry looks like he should have been challenging for Sharons affections on Eastenders years ago. 

Good band, I do need to listen to more of them but anyone claiming they are better than Pink Floyd is a bonafide opal fruit. 

42 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

No, most people are seemingly unaware of Roxys’ early work, you think of Roxy Music and you think of Ferrys’ lounge lizard schtick which is to do this band a massive disservice. Their early work with Brian Eno produced 3 albums as good as anything anywhere by anybody. Outstanding band.

I really want to get into Roxy Music but Bryan Ferry is the obstacle for me, just sounds like he's taking the piss. I really like the musicians & what they were doing though.

He failed an audition for King Crimson circa 1970, apparently he sang 21st Century Schizoid Man & they still have a tape of it somewhere. Even the thought of it gives me nightmares.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I really want to get into Roxy Music but Bryan Ferry is the obstacle for me, just sounds like he's taking the piss. I really like the musicians & what they were doing though.

He failed an audition for King Crimson circa 1970, apparently he sang 21st Century Schizoid Man & they still have a tape of it somewhere. Even the thought of it gives me nightmares.

Ferry is marmite but in the early years he was magnificent, I’ve no interest in Roxy Musics later work save for the odd track but his early years are a different story altogether, he wrote a track called “Casanova” which he has recorded twice, once in his early art house phase and then again some years later in his lounge lizard schtick. The difference is startling.

• Upvote 1