You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 2. Sex Pistols vs Dire Straits

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 2. Sex Pistols vs Dire Straits  

68 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 2. Dire Straits vs The Sex Pistols

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/20 at 14:44

I know the Sex Pistols will (and probably rightly) go through, I've had to vote Dire Straits. I just listen to them more and Sultans of Swing is one of my favourite songs ever. Two very different bands and obviously the Sex Pistols changed music but Dire Straits had the talent and have better songs. 

1 hour ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Dire Straits are in a different realm of existence musically. Shouty punks are okay, but the quality of guitar from knopfler, who is truly a genius with his instrument (oooh matron), is next level. It’ll be a travesty of Sex Pistols win. 

It's tight at the top. Dire Straits are great musicians, no doubt. The Pistols had a huge impact in this country though. Anarchy in the UK, Pretty Vacant and God Save the Queen went beyond music.

Depends on how you're judging your bands really. If it's on musicanship then The Beatles don't even win.

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

It's tight at the top. Dire Straits are great musicians, no doubt. The Pistols had a huge impact in this country though. Anarchy in the UK, Pretty Vacant and God Save the Queen went beyond music.

Depends on how you're judging your bands really. If it's on musicanship then The Beatles don't even win.

Nor should they. At least they had good music though. Shame to see such a musically talented band go out to such a mediocre one. Still, it's the GF; we will probably end up with the Jam winning it because they spoke out against beans once or something. 

10 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Nor should they. At least they had good music though. Shame to see such a musically talented band go out to such a mediocre one. Still, it's the GF; we will probably end up with the Jam winning it because they spoke out against beans once or something. 

I think the musicianship of the pistols get massively underplayed, because of a lot of the three cord idiot dirge that followed, but Jones was a decent guitar player and Matlock could play, before he was kicked out for Punk’s poster boy.

They’re weren’t prodigious, but talented nonetheless.