Quantcast
Most overrated players we signed that never became good - Page 6 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WhiskeyJar

Most overrated players we signed that never became good

1 hour ago, Arnaud said:

Wasn’t Carrol’ signing a Dalglish wish ?

I can’t speak for that, but he definitely had a soft spot for having a big lad or two up front after he left us in 91.

Apart from the fact that he was an unproven player, who turned up to lack the fitness and dedication to justify his fee, Carroll’s issue was that we had to player a certain way to get the best out of him. He wasn’t actually a bad player, and there have been plenty of managers still willing to take a punt on him since. Compare him with, say, Charlie Adam, who was crap for us and nobody was really fussed about once he flopped at Anfield. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

It was an insane amount of money to waste on him. Particularly as we could have bought Aguero for the same amount or even Falcao who was brilliant when he signed for Atletico Madrid from Porto. 

I'm just off to wank myself into a frenzy at the thought of Suarez and Aguero.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm just off to wank myself into a frenzy at the thought of Suarez and Aguero.

It was a possibility as well. Spurs had a £32m bid turned down by Atletico in that January and he stayed until the summer then moved to Man City for about £5m more. 

Can I say Sakho?

Labelled a marquee signing for that summer and then people went mad over him breaking some gym equipment. There was huge hype about him when he was at psg only for him to turn into bamba on ice.

• Upvote 1

Joe Allen deserves a shout.   Brought in by Rodgers, dubbed the next Xavi.   Rodgers tried to sell Hendo.   Even Rodgers seen how foolish this was and Allen ended up on the bench. 

Fast forward a bit and ones spent his prime in the championship, the other lifting the league. 

I have taken the liberty of re-wording the post title.

Most overrated players we have signed never came good for us.

Seems self fulfilling.

Any over rated players that did?

I am starting with Agger - who I think was overrated for a long time. Still had some good bits.

Would even throw Luis Garcia under that bus.

36 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Joe Allen deserves a shout.   Brought in by Rodgers, dubbed the next Xavi.   Rodgers tried to sell Hendo.   Even Rodgers seen how foolish this was and Allen ended up on the bench. 

Fast forward a bit and ones spent his prime in the championship, the other lifting the league. 

Joe Allen was over rated only by Brendan Rodgers.

Then in that case, we should have Borini here. Dubbed as a signing that will have fans excited and some of us saw his runs into the penalty box as a sign that he was arriving at the right places but not getting enough service.