Quantcast
Most overrated players we signed that never became good - Page 3 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WhiskeyJar

Most overrated players we signed that never became good

Recommended Posts

Anelka was a loan so we didn't get rid of him as such. The fact Diouf came in as a replacement suggests a possible panic buy? 

 

Collymore was linked to united but they turned him down over concerns with his temperament. We didn't seem to taken such things seriously enough at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is that Diouf was pretty rubbish in the world cup as well, he was all hype without anything performance wise to back it up.

He did one thing, which was crossing the ball for Papa Bouba Diop to score against France.  He didn't score himself in all the games Senegal played, which is not really how normally end up with post-world cup hype.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mcfaggen said:

I was going to say Cheyrou. He was supposed to be class. He was not. 

I remember him running the show in a preseason friendly - was it when we spanked Parma 5-0 at anfield? - and getting very excited over him.

 

i was at uni in Liverpool at the time and a few of my mates ran into Hamann our in town one night, and they asked if cheyrou was gonna be as good as we hoped, from what he saw in training, and he said “no”.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The thing is that Diouf was pretty rubbish in the world cup as well, he was all hype without anything performance wise to back it up.

He did one thing, which was crossing the ball for Papa Bouba Diop to score against France.  He didn't score himself in all the games Senegal played, which is not really how normally end up with post-world cup hype.

 

A total abomination of a signing at a time when we were not far off being genuine contenders. Signing that waster instead of Anelka will always sting with me. We'd just finished second the previous year to an excellent Arsenal team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allan Waddle.

 

Glenn Hysen. Had a good reputation at the time but then turned to shit culminating in 3 laughable handball shouts at old trafford with the ref duly giving one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Allan Waddle.

 

Glenn Hysen. Had a good reputation at the time but then turned to shit culminating in 3 laughable handball shouts at old trafford with the ref duly giving one.

I remember the one like a volley ball smash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:


Collymore was very good here, his discipline and personal problems fucked him, but he had more than ‘moments’, 81 Apps in all comps, 35 goals, 16 assists suggests he wasn’t wildly inconsistent. And I certainly wouldn’t say he ‘never become good’ here. 

That's the whole point

He was good but he could have been a great

He could have been talked about in the same way as Fowler but he's not

So, ok, the thread should be called players who could have been great but were merely good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oyvind Leonhardsen. Always thought he was absolutely shite and he done nothing to disprove this after we blew another shitload of cash on him.

 

Someone behind the scenes must have been getting shares in Norwegian oil the amount of their shite we took on 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I remember the one like a volley ball smash.

That's the one! How the ref didnt give pens for the other two was beyond me at the time as I think the one he did give was the 2nd of the 3!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Oyvind Leonhardsen. Always thought he was absolutely shite and he done nothing to disprove this after we blew another shitload of cash on him.

 

Someone behind the scenes must have been getting shares in Norwegian oil the amount of their shite we took on 

He was alright I think. The problem at that time was none of the defensive signings really came good, too many injury prone players and attitude problems. 

 

Who could we have signed. I suppose we might have tried looking abroad for quality defenders but that wasn't so much the trend back then. Perhaps we could have tried Colin Hendry after 1996. Southgate went to Villa from Palace for £2.5m although he wasn't really a CB at the time.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

He was alright I think. The problem at that time was none of the defensive signings really came good, too many injury prone players and attitude problems. 

 

Who could we have signed. I suppose we might have tried looking abroad for quality defenders but that wasn't so much the trend back then. Perhaps we could have tried Colin Hendry after 1996. Southgate went to Villa from Palace for £2.5m although he wasn't really a CB at the time.

He was atrocious. We didn’t know what to do with him and he didn’t know what to do with the ball. There was a weird media campaign at the time telling us he was exactly the player we were lacking to bridge the gap to the Mancs. No wonder we never had enough money to put towards the top players. 

 

Shame we had to wait for Klopp to turn up and put a stop to us buying unmitigated numbers of shite every summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Glenn Hysen. Had a good reputation at the time but then turned to shit culminating in 3 laughable handball shouts at old trafford with the ref duly giving one.

Good first season, poor second season, spent the third year of his contract in the reserves. He was only good when he had Hansen next to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ron B said:

Good first season, poor second season, spent the third year of his contract in the reserves. He was only good when he had Hansen next to him.

Wouldnt disagree with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red74 said:

Oyvind Leonhardsen. Always thought he was absolutely shite and he done nothing to disprove this after we blew another shitload of cash on him.

 

Someone behind the scenes must have been getting shares in Norwegian oil the amount of their shite we took on 

 

The trouble with signing him was that all the things he did well at Wimbledon were from scenarios which would never occur at Liverpool because we played nothing like the way Wimbledon did. ANd Wimbledon and the Norway national team pretty much played the same direct football which benefitted Leonhardsen. Our game was about possession, pass and move, not hoofing the ball upfield and playing for knock-downs and second balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Trumo said:

 

The trouble with signing him was that all the things he did well at Wimbledon were from scenarios which would never occur at Liverpool because we played nothing like the way Wimbledon did. ANd Wimbledon and the Norway national team pretty much played the same direct football which benefitted Leonhardsen. Our game was about possession, pass and move, not hoofing the ball upfield and playing for knock-downs and second balls.

He was signed as a Ray Houghton type replacement but wasnt anywhere near as good or had the players around him to look very good. I thought that both he,and particularly John Scales,were far better players than they ever got the chance to prove. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Hateley. I was thrilled when we signed him to get on the end of all the crosses from Cally and Thommo. He actually scored 27 goals in the season he was with us but there was a feeling that he was not suited to us and made us play too predictably. He was sold to Coventry after a year.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Frank Dacey said:

Tony Hateley. I was thrilled when we signed him to get on the end of all the crosses from Cally and Thommo. He actually scored 27 goals in the season he was with us but there was a feeling that he was not suited to us and made us play too predictably. He was sold to Coventry after a year.

Good player but, as you say, he cramped our style and as a team we looked better without him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Last Match Report

  • Latest Posts

    • There’s a linesman able to watch this. If it’s not obvious to someone specifically watching for it, then let it go. If it is obvious, and gets called by a human being based on their eyeballs, make them retake it, although that human being better be fucking right.   Not one part of VAR has improved the game. It’s made some bad decisions disappear, but at too much cost, and without sufficient regularity to warrant keeping it.   it wont go, but it should.
    • Antonio is likely to be ruled out. Small blessings and all that. Would playing trent in beside gomez be an option? Neville played plenty of times at centre back for united and he's tiny. We could play Milner at full back then. He'd at least be able to attack better with his natural foot.
    • Report by Dave Usher   Is there any point even writing this? In a few months time I think the only person connected to LFC who will even remember this is Rhys Williams. For the rest of us, it’ll be long forgotten.    I tend to not remember most CL group games at the best of times but this one was a real grind. Hardly anything happened, we didn’t play at all well but I don’t actually care in the least. Pick up the points, move on, get out of the group and then we’ll start making some memories in the knock stages.   This was proper ugly and it could easily have ended with a bad result. They missed a great chance late on when it was only 1-0 and if that had gone in I don’t think we could have had any complaints. I thought they played pretty well and made it difficult for us.   They pressed like madmen and usually had two or three men around the ball at all times. We were awful in the first half and they had the better chances, but I wasn’t worried because we’ve been in this situation countless times and nearly always come through it in the end. Besides, there was no way they could keep up the level of energy they were playing with. They’d tire themselves out eventually, surely?   Actually they didn’t. I thought they were still going strong even at the end. We were definitely much improved in the second half but at no point did we ever look like we were even in third gear, let alone anything higher.   For the most part I’m not bothered about how we played as it really doesn’t matter. Games are coming thick and fast and we probably won’t play anywhere close to our best in most of them. Winning is all that counts, same the big performances for the games we really need them.   However, it is disappointing when players who really had a chance to stake a claim failed to impress. For example, I’m not really arsed how Trent or Robbo play in games like this (Trent was actually brilliant) because we know what they are and that when we need them they’ll answer the bell.     This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report   Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 
    • "This body weminds me of Damien Duff, his clothes soaked red like a full bodied Noir Sancerre that I might from time to time like to share with Sir Alex, earlier in my career this was often accompanied by a chees board"   "Smorgasbord?"   "No, Malmo."     
    • You wonder how much of it is personality, him and Keita seem like nice lads but maybe too nice and seem to lack that bit of resolve and drive to push through.   Neither either seemed to be central in any of the celebrations, minamino actually looked really awkward at the title lift maybe they don’t feel comfortable maybe I’m reading into it and should do some actual work.
  • Latest Round Up

  • Popular Contributors

  • Football Betting Site Betway
  • top casino sites
  • new UK casino
×