You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most overrated players we signed that never became good

WhiskeyJar

The thing is that Diouf was pretty rubbish in the world cup as well, he was all hype without anything performance wise to back it up.

He did one thing, which was crossing the ball for Papa Bouba Diop to score against France.  He didn't score himself in all the games Senegal played, which is not really how normally end up with post-world cup hype.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mcfaggen said:

I was going to say Cheyrou. He was supposed to be class. He was not. 

I remember him running the show in a preseason friendly - was it when we spanked Parma 5-0 at anfield? - and getting very excited over him.

i was at uni in Liverpool at the time and a few of my mates ran into Hamann our in town one night, and they asked if cheyrou was gonna be as good as we hoped, from what he saw in training, and he said “no”.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The thing is that Diouf was pretty rubbish in the world cup as well, he was all hype without anything performance wise to back it up.

He did one thing, which was crossing the ball for Papa Bouba Diop to score against France.  He didn't score himself in all the games Senegal played, which is not really how normally end up with post-world cup hype.

A total abomination of a signing at a time when we were not far off being genuine contenders. Signing that waster instead of Anelka will always sting with me. We'd just finished second the previous year to an excellent Arsenal team.

11 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Collymore was very good here, his discipline and personal problems fucked him, but he had more than ‘moments’, 81 Apps in all comps, 35 goals, 16 assists suggests he wasn’t wildly inconsistent. And I certainly wouldn’t say he ‘never become good’ here. 

That's the whole point

He was good but he could have been a great

He could have been talked about in the same way as Fowler but he's not

So, ok, the thread should be called players who could have been great but were merely good

Oyvind Leonhardsen. Always thought he was absolutely shite and he done nothing to disprove this after we blew another shitload of cash on him.

Someone behind the scenes must have been getting shares in Norwegian oil the amount of their shite we took on 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Oyvind Leonhardsen. Always thought he was absolutely shite and he done nothing to disprove this after we blew another shitload of cash on him.

Someone behind the scenes must have been getting shares in Norwegian oil the amount of their shite we took on 

He was alright I think. The problem at that time was none of the defensive signings really came good, too many injury prone players and attitude problems. 

Who could we have signed. I suppose we might have tried looking abroad for quality defenders but that wasn't so much the trend back then. Perhaps we could have tried Colin Hendry after 1996. Southgate went to Villa from Palace for £2.5m although he wasn't really a CB at the time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

He was alright I think. The problem at that time was none of the defensive signings really came good, too many injury prone players and attitude problems. 

Who could we have signed. I suppose we might have tried looking abroad for quality defenders but that wasn't so much the trend back then. Perhaps we could have tried Colin Hendry after 1996. Southgate went to Villa from Palace for £2.5m although he wasn't really a CB at the time.

He was atrocious. We didn’t know what to do with him and he didn’t know what to do with the ball. There was a weird media campaign at the time telling us he was exactly the player we were lacking to bridge the gap to the Mancs. No wonder we never had enough money to put towards the top players. 

Shame we had to wait for Klopp to turn up and put a stop to us buying unmitigated numbers of shite every summer. 

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Glenn Hysen. Had a good reputation at the time but then turned to shit culminating in 3 laughable handball shouts at old trafford with the ref duly giving one.

Good first season, poor second season, spent the third year of his contract in the reserves. He was only good when he had Hansen next to him.

2 hours ago, Red74 said:

The trouble with signing him was that all the things he did well at Wimbledon were from scenarios which would never occur at Liverpool because we played nothing like the way Wimbledon did. ANd Wimbledon and the Norway national team pretty much played the same direct football which benefitted Leonhardsen. Our game was about possession, pass and move, not hoofing the ball upfield and playing for knock-downs and second balls.

6 minutes ago, Trumo said:

The trouble with signing him was that all the things he did well at Wimbledon were from scenarios which would never occur at Liverpool because we played nothing like the way Wimbledon did. ANd Wimbledon and the Norway national team pretty much played the same direct football which benefitted Leonhardsen. Our game was about possession, pass and move, not hoofing the ball upfield and playing for knock-downs and second balls.

He was signed as a Ray Houghton type replacement but wasnt anywhere near as good or had the players around him to look very good. I thought that both he,and particularly John Scales,were far better players than they ever got the chance to prove. 

Tony Hateley. I was thrilled when we signed him to get on the end of all the crosses from Cally and Thommo. He actually scored 27 goals in the season he was with us but there was a feeling that he was not suited to us and made us play too predictably. He was sold to Coventry after a year.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Frank Dacey said:

Tony Hateley. I was thrilled when we signed him to get on the end of all the crosses from Cally and Thommo. He actually scored 27 goals in the season he was with us but there was a feeling that he was not suited to us and made us play too predictably. He was sold to Coventry after a year.

Good player but, as you say, he cramped our style and as a team we looked better without him.