You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most overrated players we signed that never became good

WhiskeyJar

Have we ever signed a player that came with bags of potential, labelled as the next <insert world player of that time> only to fall flat in the months and years to come?

You can include in the list players who were the finished article and didn't perform for us and young players that were overhyped.

Er, I hesitate to mention Benteke as Im normally ok with Rodgers and not a basher?

And Jimmy Carter maybe? Souey brought him on as a sub one game then subbed him off within about 30 minutes, if I remember right.

Might be a bit harsh as well, Alun Evans. Signed as a teenage sensation in front of goal and had quite a decent start to his Liverpool career. Seemed to lose his confidence after a couple of injuries and Keegan's arrival. The rest is history.

Balotelli deserves a shout, I reckon. I mean I know some of us had our doubts before he signed, but they were mostly related to concerns regarding his propensity for bathroom firework displays etc. I don't think anyone was expecting such consistently terrible football from him, too.

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

Le Tallec. His best game was a friendly.

He got an assist for Garcia’s beauty at home to Juve in 05 so he’s ok with me!

kewell is the obvious one and many have mentioned him already so I’ll pick another number 7 that didn’t live up to expectations: Robbie Keane

5 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

He got an assist for Garcia’s beauty at home to Juve in 05 so he’s ok with me!

kewell is the obvious one and many have mentioned him already so I’ll pick another number 7 that didn’t live up to expectations: Robbie Keane

Ha, I forgot about that. He was genuinely boss in that friendly, though. The offal even did a special highlights package of his best bits. Trouble is it was against Crewe, I think, so not the best barometer, but that didn't stop the forums exploding with proclamations of the next Zidane etc.

El Hadji Diouf - his performances for Senegal at the 2002 World Cup garnered a lot of praise and created considerable hype about his impending arrival at Liverpool. As it transpired, he was one of the most loathsome pricks ever to sign for the club. Spitting at a Celtic fan and a child supporter of Boro, robbing Mellor's debut penalty opportunity, constantly ripping Gerrard and Carragher. The man is, was, and always will be a 24 carat dickhead. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Phil Babb

Babb gave me pause about signing a player off the back of his World Cup performances, Diouf ensured I'll always think it a terrible idea to buy someone hailed as one of the stars of the tournament immediately afterwards. It’s an easy ticket to flushing millions on someone who had never before troubled any sort of “best of” list on account of a handful of good games and will comprehensively fail to look anywhere near as impressive at club level (which is no surprise, given they didn’t look anywhere near as impressive at club level before their summer jaunt).

• Upvote 1