You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best “there’s no way they make it into our Best XI” XI

Bob

There was a good thread about our best xi and there was a healthy amount of debate and difference of opinion, but it would be hard to argue any of the players selected couldn’t make it into a best XI. 

Some might not think Suarez gets close, some might think Trent has a lot left to prove to beat out Neal for example, or that Rob Jones’s injuries stopped him short of the heights required. Some might’ve never seen the likes of Yeats or Hunt, so couldn’t pick them, but they’d all be reasonably argued choices.

But, for example, there’s no way Finnan could be considered in our Best XI despite being a good, solid player for us. Same goes for Houghton from the 80s team, and so on.

So, with footie having finished now for me, not watching any of the European stuff, I thought this might be an interesting take.

its not just the best players left that you didn’t pick for your Best XI, but those that you couldn’t consider picking.

Go on, have a go...

For me, goalie is a choice of 2 or 3, but Dudek gets the nod for Istanbul.

Full backs, well, I loved Babbel so he’s in, and due to the paucity in the position in my time I’m going with Riise at left back. I almost picked Staunton, then remembered Aurelio but he just wasn’t ever fit so JAR gets the nod.

Centre back is Wright and Agger.

Midfield is tough. So I skipped to attack. Torres makes it for sure. No way is he getting selected for our best ever, but he was as good as anyone I saw on his day. Partnered with Collymore that sounds pretty frightening.

Wingers are McManaman and Johnston.

so back to the midfield two. I ummed and arred over a few but Masch was such a good player and I probably need a bit of flair so went for Coutinho too.

team:

Dudek

Babbel

Wright

Agger

Riise

Johnston

Mascherano

Coutinho

McManaman

Torres

Collymore

43 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Grobbelaar

Babbel

Hyypia 

Lawrenson

Nicol

McManaman

Whelan

Keegan

Heighway

Suarez

Torres

A lot others could probably get in too. 3XI?

Thats a good pick, I would also consider Fowler, Rob Jones, Callaghan and Redknap

• Upvote 1

4-4-2 (A 4-3-3 sees Robbie Fowler come in for Ronnie Whelan).

Allison

Phil Neal

Mark Lawrenson 

Sami Hypia

Steve Nicol

Javier Mascherano

Ray Kennedy

Ronnie Whelan

Terry McDermott

Kevin Keegan

Fernando Torres

Edit: I had Rob Jones in my best XI so changed to Phil Neal. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

A few of them would be in many peoples all time XI

At least in contention to be.

lawro, hyypia, nicol, highway, Keegan and Suarez are too close to the all time best discussion for me to have them

On 12/08/2020 at 08:33, Tony Moanero said:

Grobbelaar

Babbel 

Yeats 

Hyypia

Lindsay

Heighway

Case

McAllister

R. Kennedy

Litmanen 

Fowler

There are many Liverpool supporters who’d put Hyypia and Fowler in their best XI I reckon.

31 minutes ago, aRdja said:

There are many Liverpool supporters who’d put Hyypia and Fowler in their best XI I reckon.

Possibly. Depends on age, I suppose.

As good as Hyypia was, he doesn’t come close to getting in our all-time XI, in my opinion. The competition - Hansen, Van Dijk, Lawrenson, Thompson - is just too strong. Fowler is closer but behind Rush and Dalglish, Suarez, Keegan, and for my dad’s generation, Roger Hunt.

Anyway, revised team. Left out Heighway and Ray Kennedy, as some pick them in their all their all-time XI. 

Grobbelaar

Babbel   Yeats   Carragher   Lindsay

Hamann   

Case                    Berger

Litmanen

St John  Torres

4 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Possibly. Depends on age, I suppose.

As good as Hyypia was, he doesn’t come close to getting in our all-time XI, in my opinion. The competition - Hansen, Van Dijk, Lawrenson, Thompson - is just too strong. Fowler is closer but behind Rush and Dalglish, Suarez, Keegan, and for my dad’s generation, Roger Hunt.

I think Hyppia was much better than Thommo. They'd have made a great partnership like Sami and Carra.

• Upvote 1