You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 2. New Order vs Black Sabbath

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 2. New Order vs Black Sabbath  

62 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 2. New Order vs Black Sabbath

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/20 at 14:39

19 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not convinced by this.  Blues rock in the late Sixties was getting heavier with or without Sabbath. 

I don’t doubt there’s some revisionism going on, but bands were going ‘heavier’ in the psychedelic sense, deeper groves, repetition etc 

Sabbath were the first group to go heavy, power chords, down tuned guitars, occultism, chugging and down right doom. They spawned dozens of subgenres, all of which trace their identity and sound back to some part of Sabbath.

They really are seminal in the grand scheme of things.

30 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

You post like a man that has never heard Power, Corruption & Lies or Low-Life. 

Prob not in whole, no. I like New Order though, was just kidding in reaction to that FT headline (good natured, honest).

Doesn't help I associate that song with Alex James types for some reason (just looked it up, he named a fucking cheese after it...).

Edit: giving PC&L a listen now, just finished Master of Reality (class) so why not. After that might skip from Hell's Bells to You Shook Me All Night Long before finding something else to do.

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I don’t doubt there’s some revisionism going on, but bands were going ‘heavier’ in the psychedelic sense, deeper groves, repetition etc 

Sabbath were the first group to go heavy, power chords, down tuned guitars, occultism, chugging and down right doom. They spawned dozens of subgenres, all of which trace their identity and sound back to some part of Sabbath.

They really are seminal in the grand scheme of things.

Didn't Zeppelin did all that before Sabbath?

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Didn't Zeppelin did all that before Sabbath?

Zeppelin are a heavy rock group, Sabbath are a metal band.

Where I mentioned about the psycadelic pivot before, that’s where they fork. Iommi has to play power chords as his fingers were fucked, that’s where the sound comes from.

Also, Sabbath wrote all their own material...

7 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Sabbath can't be metal because I like them and all metal is fucking wank. Whoever made that metal family tree can fuck right off as well with trying to claim The Stooges and MC5. 

I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing by Aerosmith is the best metal song ever ..... 

Seriously about a third at least of the bands on there aren't metal. 

6 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Genuine question as I'm not into hard rock/heavy metal, which bands have Black Sabbath influenced?

Pretty decent, but in no way exhaustive list...

https://www.gigwise.com/photos/102631/bands-that-are-influenced-by-black-sabbath-metallica-iron-maiden

This doesn’t go in to Doom, Death, Stoner and numerous others that have a direct link to Sabbath.

It’s a world most don’t care for, but fuck the world. 

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Pretty decent, but in no way exhaustive list...

https://www.gigwise.com/photos/102631/bands-that-are-influenced-by-black-sabbath-metallica-iron-maiden

This doesn’t go in to Doom, Death, Stoner and numerous others that have a direct link to Sabbath.

It’s a world most don’t care for, but fuck the world. 

The only decent one mentioned is Black Flag and they aren't metal.