You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Popular sports you have zero interest in?

Elite

21 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Rugby 

I really can take it or leave it. 

90% of the time it just looks like a bunch of roided up yuppies playing Red Rover with a stupid shaped ball that doesn't bounce normally. 

Each to their own, but not for me

Rugby league too, although I always admire the fact they do what they do for relatively little money, they must really love the game.

56 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Rugby league too, although I always admire the fact they do what they do for relatively little money, they must really love the game.

thats even worse than Union.

A few weeks into the proper lockdown, while desperate for sport of any kind i watched a game from Australia early one Saturday morning. 

It was fucking terrible, besides the fact they didnt have any fans, which by now we all know makes even our beloved football a bit crap, but the rugby league was arguably the crappest thing id ever witnessed. I stuck it for about 20 minutes, i think if i watched it for any longer id have scooped my eyes out with a rusty spoon 

I'd say rugby union is the most popular sport (among people I know and the population here generally) that I can't get into.

Don't like American sports aside from ice hockey, which I do go to live a few times a year. Not sure you could describe baseball and basketball as popular here though. American Football seems to be, which I find really dull. 

The only motorsport I like is speedway, but I don't watch that much nowadays.

Don't really like any fighting sports - used to watch boxing but have gone off it. The UFC-type things, no idea how people can watch that. 

Don't like any sports that involve animals either. 

To be honest, the only sports I watch regularly now are football, snooker and darts. 

13 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

A few weeks into the proper lockdown, while desperate for sport of any kind i watched a game from Australia early one Saturday morning. 

It was fucking terrible, besides the fact they didnt have any fans, which by now we all know makes even our beloved football a bit crap, but the rugby league was arguably the crappest thing id ever witnessed. I stuck it for about 20 minutes, i think if i watched it for any longer id have scooped my eyes out with a rusty spoon 

British bulldog with a ball.

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

It's brilliant.

Golf is so weird. Fat Americans dressed up like clowns twatting a ball and hoping it doesn't land in a puddle. 

F1. What is the appeal? Nascar is even worse. 

Horse racing would not be a thing if gambling didn't exist. Has anyone ever watched a race with the remotest interest without having a flutter? 

• Upvote 1

Aussie Rules Football seems a mash up of every sport in the world all in one, I just didn't get it at all. The linesmen were throwing the ball in, players were running with the ball in their hands then trying to kick it in the goal. I was waiting for the horses to run on and the bikes to come on after then it would have been close to a full house of crazy.

Father in law loves superbikes and TT and stuff, it's mental, people die left and right. 

"Barry Beown, 22, was sadly decapitated going past the Laxey Wheel today, the exact same spot where his brother, dad and grandad also died. His mum said: "boys will be boys." Anyway, time for the next race.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

F1 and any racing sport is shit to me. It's just cars going around a track nonstop for like 4 hours. Will never get it. 

i think id enjoy it if it wasnt won and lost on how quick you put petrol in your car or filled up with petrol.

maybe if they shortened the race so there wasnt any pitstops, just out and out racing. 

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

i think id enjoy it if it wasnt won and lost on how quick you put petrol in your car or filled up with petrol.

maybe if they shortened the race so there wasnt any pitstops, just out and out racing. 

That, and if it was remotely entertaining 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Father in law loves superbikes and TT and stuff, it's mental, people die left and right. 

"Barry Beown, 22, was sadly decapitated going past the Laxey Wheel today, the exact same spot where his brother, dad and grandad also died. His mum said: "boys will be boys." Anyway, time for the next race.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/motorsport/48297727

This article says it all really. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Golf is so weird. Fat Americans dressed up like clowns twatting a ball and hoping it doesn't land in a puddle. 

F1. What is the appeal? Nascar is even worse. 

Horse racing would not be a thing if gambling didn't exist. Has anyone ever watched a race with the remotest interest without having a flutter? 

Yes always, it's good to watch especially the classics, and to be honest I'd watch it over football these days bar Liverpool, along with those dickhead football shows and dickhead fans. 

F1, Athletics though I do watch the latter stages in the Olympics. 

I also have a look at the latter stages of the Golf, if only for the commentary. 

The fuckin' Marathon, good grief that is  completely shit, I'd rather watch underwater knitting / clog dancing. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Yes always, it's good to watch especially the classics, and to be honest I'd watch it over football these days bar Liverpool, along with those dickhead football shows and dickhead fans. 

F1, Athletics though I do watch the latter stages in the Olympics. 

I also have a look at the latter stages of the Golf, if only for the commentary. 

The fuckin' Marathon, good grief that is  completely shit, I'd rather watch underwater knitting / clog dancing. 

Marathon rep.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The death toll, amongst both competitors and spectators, is fucking horrendous. They need to sort it out before it gets fucked off for good. And that's coming from someone who was brought up with it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Aussie Rules Football seems a mash up of every sport in the world all in one, I just didn't get it at all. The linesmen were throwing the ball in, players were running with the ball in their hands then trying to kick it in the goal. I was waiting for the horses to run on and the bikes to come on after then it would have been close to a full house of crazy.

I've never watched Aussie Rules but I have to admit when you catch a highlight somewhere it looks absolutely brilliant. I'm certain I could get right into it if someone explained it to me and I had some way to watch it easily.

For me the list of sports that are popular but I find dull is quite long. Some are just boring (tennis, baseball, cricket, any racing sport), some are confusing and/or dislikeable for other reasons (boxing, ice hockey, rugby) but for some reason snooker & darts make me irrationally angry.

Like, I can understand how an American grew up with it can enjoy baseball, even if I don't, different strokes for different folks. But how anyone can sit around watching someone in a smoke-filled room whack a ball with a stick or throw a pointy stick at a board for hours and hours and pretend it's entertaining is baffling to the point of suspicion to me. Something just can't be right with a person who could enjoy it.

39 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I've never watched Aussie Rules but I have to admit when you catch a highlight somewhere it looks absolutely brilliant. I'm certain I could get right into it if someone explained it to me and I had some way to watch it easily.

For me the list of sports that are popular but I find dull is quite long. Some are just boring (tennis, baseball, cricket, any racing sport), some are confusing and/or dislikeable for other reasons (boxing, ice hockey, rugby) but for some reason snooker & darts make me irrationally angry.

Like, I can understand how an American grew up with it can enjoy baseball, even if I don't, different strokes for different folks. But how anyone can sit around watching someone in a smoke-filled room whack a ball with a stick or throw a pointy stick at a board for hours and hours and pretend it's entertaining is baffling to the point of suspicion to me. Something just can't be right with a person who could enjoy it.

I have got more increasingly bored with Aussie Rules the longer I have lived here.  Hardly ever watch it now.

I think it used to be a lot better in the old days where it was more fun, had more goals, and there were more fights.  Nowadays they are trained to within an inch of their life, often on dodgy gear, and coached to just run all over following the ball around and stopping the other team playing.  They are always trying to change the rules to make it more exciting, which goes to show it's gone wrong somewhere, and a lot of the rules don't make sense.   

Good games are pretty rare.