You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 2. The Fall vs Oasis

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 2. The Fall vs Oasis  

76 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 2. The Fall vs Oasis

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/08/20 at 14:53

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am familiar with them but they are not really big here by any stretch. Bands like Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat were all from the same time period.

Are they not known in the UK?

They are well known within a limited demographic. Not commercially successful really. 

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am familiar with them but they are not really big here by any stretch. Bands like Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat were all from the same time period.

Are they not known in the UK?

Prefer all of those to The Fall, personally.

I don't really listen to them anymore, but those first two Oasis albums are seared into my memory banks. Every word, every chord (all two of them chortle!). 

And when they were on that run of singles and great b sides - every release was a big deal. 

Be Here Now gets a rough ride but I absolutely love half the songs on it. They're totally overblown, but so what? At least they waited til their third album unlike the Stone Roses who barely had enough tunes to fill their second album. "What next John? Another three minute guitar solo?"

But, after that I've never listened to anything Oasis have done. As soon as they started changing members I lost interest. 

9 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I don't really listen to them anymore, but those first two Oasis albums are seared into my memory banks. Every word, every chord (all two of them chortle!). 

And when they were on that run of singles and great b sides - every release was a big deal. 

Be Here Now gets a rough ride but I absolutely love half the songs on it. They're totally overblown, but so what? At least they waited til their third album unlike the Stone Roses who barely had enough tunes to fill their second album. "What next John? Another three minute guitar solo?"

But, after that I've never listened to anything Oasis have done. As soon as they started changing members I lost interest. 

Cocaine and chords 

36 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I wouldn't suggest bands of that "level" be included, they are good mind you but really have more of an underground/cult appeal - I dont think any of them would be in a US64.

Maybe Black Flag.

Fugazi should be tho.

9 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Absofuckinglutely. 

Get onto that Coriky album. It's great and as close as we are going to get. 

Good reminder. I bookmarked a story about a bunch of new albums that'd passed me by over the last few months and had forgotten about it again.

New Classics of Love was a surprise.

I mean, X reformed. Fucking X!!

6 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Very few beat them for me. 

I think in that category you would have to have:

The Ramones

The Stooges

Dead Kennedys

X

The Misfits

Bad Brains

Then you get to bands from that scene like Husker Du, Butthole Surfers, Melvins, Fugazi, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, NOFX, Bad Religion etc etc etc

You still have to find room for bands like The Pixies, New York Dolls, Voidoid, Television etc. Even Green Day and Sublime would fall into that bucket.

It gets crowded pretty quick.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think in that category you would have to have:

The Ramones

The Stooges

Dead Kennedys

X

The Misfits

Bad Brains

Then you get to bands from that scene like Husker Du, Butthole Surfers, Melvins, Fugazi, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, NOFX, Bad Religion etc etc etc

You still have to find room for bands like The Pixies, New York Dolls, Voidoid, Television etc. Even Green Day and Sublime would fall into that bucket.

It gets crowded pretty quick.

Well, Green Day can fuck right off for a start. Wouldn't put half of them as hardcore/punk myself. Do like most and The Stooges are the greatest band of all time. Television always get thrown into punk but they are just a great classic band. I'd chuck Suicide in myself though. 

8 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Well, Green Day can fuck right off for a start. Wouldn't put half of them as hardcore/punk myself. Do like most and The Stooges are the greatest band of all time. Television always get thrown into punk but they are just a great classic band. I'd chuck Suicide in myself though. 

HC was Gorilla Biscuits, Agnostic Front, Bad Brains, Sick of It All, Cro-Mags through Madball and 25 Ta Life etc.

Great explosion of creativity. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

Not sure you can ignore them and they really don't have another bucket to go in. Rancid and The Offspring as well for later bands in dat bucket.