You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kostas Tsimikas

YNWAViking

What I especially like about him is that there's a sense of spontaneity about his attacking play. Robbo is an exceptional player but in the last two seasons he's become a bit robotic in the final third - still some gorgeous crosses at his best into that dangerous area, but he's always going to look to play that ball whether there's a player in the box or not. Tsimikas will sometimes play the early cross, sometimes take the ball to the touchline, sometimes try a shot and sometimes even run on into the penalty area. Probably the same thing would happen to him if he got a long uninterruped run in the side, because players just get tied into certain patterns of play and probably need to be that predictable for their team mates, but it's just refreshing, here and now, to see a bit more variety in his play.

• Upvote 2

Brilliant last night. Gives everything he's got, but not just a trier he's very efficient in all facets. Great signing given we were supposedly after the Norwich lad who then bombed at Newcastle as first choice 

6 hours ago, stringvest said:

I'm not sure in what area he's inferior to Robbo.  I genuinely haven't seen any.  And there are many in which he's superior.  I get the loyalty/familiarity/experience thing with Robbo, and that's fine, but objectively it's difficult to see why he would get ahead of Tsimikas, if, for example, they both moved to another club.  

I'm not looking for an argument here, just interested in alternate views

Robertson has a better engine and more intensity about his game. Tsimikas is better than him technically and might even have a better left foot, it's close, but Robbo gets a lot of assists because he's so often in great positions and has the desire to get in them. 

Defensively, Robertson has the experience of English football, knows the tricks, etc... Tsimikas might be more naïve/hasn't had the chance to get that experience. 

These are all nitpicks, though. Until he gets exposed or shows he doesn't have the consistency of Robertson, we can assume he's as good as he looks. 

15 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Just think of all the absolute turds we bought at left back - Insua, Konchesky, Dossena, Cissokho, Moreno.

Then we bought two within a few years of each other that are both worth about four times what we paid for them.

It's crazy that we're in the position where we're discussing which of our left backs is better in certain situations. 

13 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Just think of all the absolute turds we bought at left back - Insua, Konchesky, Dossena, Cissokho, Moreno.

Then we bought two within a few years of each other that are both worth about four times what we paid for them.

Agree with you but Dossena's goals against the Mancs and Real were worth it or me.

• Upvote 2

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

So with Hendo on the demise Robbo is the new whipping boy?

it was an objective statement.  If everyone was playing well, we'd all be happy. Do you think Robertson had a good game?

If the scales are falling from people's eyes re Henderson, then so much the better.