You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kostas Tsimikas

YNWAViking

42 minutes ago, YNWA-Viking said:

Pearce reporting in The Athletic that we're considering Ben White, Aissa Mandi, Ismaila Sarr and potentially Thiago. 

Doesn't make sense us buying 2 more CBs especially with Mandi also going off for AFCON. If we buy Sarr, literally half the team will be gone for that tournament. Would definitely love Ben White and Thiago. Sarr - am unsure if Watford will let him go on the cheap.

3 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Doesn't make sense us buying 2 more CBs especially with Mandi also going off for AFCON. If we buy Sarr, literally half the team will be gone for that tournament. Would definitely love Ben White and Thiago. Sarr - am unsure if Watford will let him go on the cheap.

We will only buy one CB. Those two CBs are mentioned as possible options. 

Liverpool have extensively scouted Brighton & Hove Albion’s Ben White (above), who spent last season on loan at Championship title winners Leeds United. The 22-year-old fits the club’s target profile and is highly regarded by Klopp, who believes there is a dearth of top-class centre-backs available. However, Brighton are reluctant to sell and have already rejected a bid of £22 million from Leeds.

Financial constraints mean that Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly and Diego Carlos of Sevilla are out of the question. Real Betis’s Aissa Mandi would be a cheaper, and more realistic, option.

Despite ongoing speculation linking the club with Bayern Munich’s Thiago Alcantara, Liverpool have yet to make a move for the Spanish midfielder. Senior Anfield sources have played down talk of pursuing a deal for Thiago and insist Klopp is satisfied with his options in midfield. It would certainly be out of keeping with the club’s transfer model, given that he’s 29 years old, has had injury problems in recent years and would command a huge salary.

However, Klopp has made no secret of his admiration for Thiago previously and, having entered the final year of his contract, he’s available for around £30 million.

Having walked away from Werner, securing high-calibre cover for the front three of Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino still has to be addressed. Watford’s Ismaila Sarr is on the radar after their relegation to the Championship. Klopp was impressed by his all-round performance when he scored twice to end his title-bound side’s unbeaten start to the league season in February. Mane also speaks highly of him both as a player and as a person, following the time they have spent together on international duty with Senegal.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I have no problem with another African player this year. 

With the AFCON being moved, it’s a problem for next summer. It could / would have been disastrous for us early next year.

Although clearly not ideal in the 21/22 season, hopefully, we’ll have a clearer idea of any financial outlook earlier for the summer’21 window, hopefully we can address it accordingly then.

Also, it gives Elliot, Jones, Hoever etc an extra year to develop, so we might not need to spend.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Personally, I have no problem with another African player this year. 

With the AFCON being moved, it’s a problem for next summer. It could / would have been disastrous for us early next year.

Although clearly not ideal in the 21/22 season, hopefully, we’ll have a clearer idea of any financial outlook earlier for the summer’21 window, hopefully we can address it accordingly then.

Also, it gives Elliot, Jones, Hoever etc an extra year to develop, so we might not need to spend.

What are you suggesting, we buy sarr for 12 months and then shift mane or Salah,

8 hours ago, The Gaul said:

What are you suggesting, we buy sarr for 12 months and then shift mane or Salah,

Not at all. 

If this pandemic never happened, we sign Werner this window.

I’m suggesting that if we buy, say Sarr, this window then it’s not a problem for 18 months & this forthcoming season is sorted. 

14 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Didnt we by accident sign both Kirkland and Dudek at the same time?

We’ve really been a shambles at times over the last 30 years haven’t we.

Impressive work if that's true, accidentally signing two goalkeepers.

15 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Didnt we by accident sign both Kirkland and Dudek at the same time?

We’ve really been a shambles at times over the last 30 years haven’t we.

I remember when we took Victor Onopko and Rigobert Song on trial at the same time, on the understanding that we were only signing one of them. Harsh.

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Impressive work if that's true, accidentally signing two goalkeepers.

I think it in Thomo's book, the fee had been agreed with Feyenoord but he was stuck somewhere in Poland with no way of contacting the club by phone and the agent put a deadline on and Thommo had to make the decision there and then and got home to find Kirkland had also been signed.

8 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Not at all. 

If this pandemic never happened, we sign Werner this window.

I’m suggesting that if we buy, say Sarr, this window then it’s not a problem for 18 months & this forthcoming season is sorted. 

but the problem still exists. In fact is worse. And you may say it's not a problem for 18 months, but it's pretty clear klopp likes to get his players in for a pre-season, especially if they are new. So considering the ACN is in Jan 2022 (I believe that to be true anyway?), does it not make it a problem by June or July to solve? Sarr would help us for one season and then add to our problem by the summer window of next year. 

2 hours ago, The Gaul said:

but the problem still exists. In fact is worse. And you may say it's not a problem for 18 months, but it's pretty clear klopp likes to get his players in for a pre-season, especially if they are new. So considering the ACN is in Jan 2022 (I believe that to be true anyway?), does it not make it a problem by June or July to solve? Sarr would help us for one season and then add to our problem by the summer window of next year. 

Mane, Salah and Firmino will all be 30+ come January’22. I’m not advocating selling any of them, I hope they can all do a Robben / Ribery and play at the top

level until they are all 35+.

We all assume Shaqiri & Origi will be leaving as well, maybe this summer, more than likely by next. So they will need replacing as well. 

If we get Sarr this summer, then fine. But given we’ll need to replace Shaqiri and Origi and consider replacing the other 3, then I’d expect us to do more business, when there is more financial certainty, next summer anyway.

Elliot also then has another 18 months to develop. 

We’d lose Mane, Salah & Sarr for the AFCON but given we’ll sell 1 or 2 fringe players, I’d expect us to be looking replace them with 1 or 2 anyway.

Given Mane and Salah need to think about being replaced, I’d be expecting the 1 or 2 to come in to anyway.

Bayern replaced Robben & Ribery years before with Coman & Gnabry. IMO, we should be looking to do similar. 

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Mane, Salah and Firmino will all be 30+ come January’22. I’m not advocating selling any of them, I hope they can all do a Robben / Ribery and play at the top

We all assume Shaqiri & Origi will be leaving as well, maybe this summer, more than likely by next. So they will need replacing as well. 

If we get Sarr this summer, then fine. But given we’ll need to replace Shaqiri and Origi and consider replacing the other 3, then I’d expect us to do more business, when there is more financial certainty, next summer anyway.

We’d lose Mane, Salah & Sarr for the AFCON but given we’ll sell 1 or 2 fringe players, I’d expect us to be looking replace them with 1 or 2 anyway.

Given Mane and Salah need to think about being replaced, I’d be expecting the 1 or 2 to come in to anyway.

Bayern replaced Robben & Ribery years before with Coman & Gnabry. IMO, we should be looking to do similar. 

Not unreasonable at all.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I'm not too sure we sell like that to be honest. There's often players round the squad who you think sell and they hang around (moreno) or get new contracts (lovren, origi and Ming). So while I don't dispute for footballing reasons (LFC and the player) Shaq and origi should probably go and the front 3 aren't getting any younger, so we probably should be thinking about replacing at least 1 of them in the short term and all in the medium term, I just don't think that's how we make decisions. I think all players have a price on their head and they'll carry on being a Liverpool player until the day someone hits our valuation. Even if they want to leave (lovren last summer, ming the summer before, oeigi the summer before that), if someone doesn't pay our price, we hold. I'm not saying we value Salah at 200m today and it'll always be 200m, that number will move, but it'll be the price for that moment in time. If it's not met, they'll stay and if their contract runs down and klopp thinks they're a decent player, even if he thinks he could do better, they'll offer a new contract and sit on that player protecting their asset. So I see where you're coming from, but following your logic origi would have left the club before he scored in Madrid. He was as good as gone. And now he's not and has a new contract and had a champions League medal and a premier League medal and has scored some of our most famous goals ever. 

So how I see it, is bringing in Sarr while solving an immediate problem, potentially gives us a long term problem or forces our hand to let other players go below valuation. I think that is something we will never countenance. 

45 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

To be fair I think we did intend to sign one of them.

Just kind of funny that it was done by accident. Like accidentally winning a Gold Medal in the Olympics.