You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 2. Small Faces vs Joy Division

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 2. Small Faces vs Joy Division  

56 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 2. Small Faces vs Joy Division

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/08/20 at 10:30

Oof. I'd say Joy Divison, but....they're not easy to listen to sometimes. And I love the Small Faces. And then there's Steve Marriott's incredible voice. 

But then the Small Faces haven't got Atmosphere, Decades, Love will tear us apart, New dawn fades, Transmission, 24 hours, Dead Souls.

49 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Only voting in the close contests in these first rounds.

Certainly there was some Argy Bargy in the vote count of the Squeeze win over the Police. A recount would certainly be in order.

Small Faces should be up here comfortably but again...

Comfortably? Can't agree with that at all. Joy Division have two classic albums under their belts, some classic non-album singles, a great live reputation and a rock and roll suicide of the 23 year old lead singer on the eve of their US tour which was a big deal. 

I love the Small Faces but you can't discount Joy Division. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I went Small Faces, played them all afternoon which hasn't happened with Joy Division since I was a teenager. Both great bands though. 

I actually think the small faces are quite underrated. Steve Marriott has an incredibly soulful voice for some scrawny white kid from London. It's weird to think they spilt up and most of the band went on to have worldwide hits with Rod Stewart in the Faces. Obviously Marriott had some success with Humble Pie/Peter Frampton, but the last few years of his life were pretty miserable, pinching pennies here and there. It must have hit hard seeing Rod Stewart essentially doing Marriott's job and become one of the most famous men in the world, living it up in LA, while he was playing pub gigs round Essex. His death was tragic - alone in his cottage, boozed up, dying in a fire of his own making. 

Steve Marriott's tale and death is every much as rock and roll as Ian Curtis's. 

• Upvote 2

The much documented song itchycoo park, itchycoo was slang for stingy nettles, was the first to use electronic drum flanging on a British record. As well as the songs known drug references which saw it originally banned from the bbc the writers Kenny Lynce and Steve Marriott later also revealed the song was a salute to their working class roots. 'Under dreaming spires' was a reference to Oxford whilst the bridge of sighs references Cambridge, Lynce explained that he would rather sit with friends in a nettle field where he grew up than mingle with the upper class English privilege of the time.

The perfect pop song, 

Heres Paul Weller on the band.

http://www.wappingwharf.com/weller.htm

• Upvote 2