You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament Round 2. Cream vs Queen

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament Round 2. Cream vs Queen  

58 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament Round 2. Cream vs Queen

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/20 at 13:31

Tough call as Queen made some great music which will still be listened to in decades to come. But I've gone for Cream because they were real trail blazers who set the standards for and influenced a generation of bands. 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Queen. 

Someone said in the last round with Queen in that the live aid set was shite. I forgot to say at the time that statement was absolute fucking bollocks. Greatest front man ever. 

Someone really said that? This was amazing, the way he took the audience with him so effortlessly was just brilliant. It was also a great idea to mix in new songs with their classics- earlier Adam Ant fell completely flat when he debuted a couple of new songs when people wanted to hear Ant Music instead.

4 hours ago, aws said:

Tough call as Queen made some great music which will still be listened to in decades to come. But I've gone for Cream because they were real trail blazers who set the standards for and influenced a generation of bands. 

Genuine question, not being arsey, but which bands are you talking about? And were they any good? 

5 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

Genuine question, not being arsey, but which bands are you talking about? And were they any good? 

Cream influenced Hendrix, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Vanilla Fudge, Blue Cheer, James Gang, Deep Purple, the major progressive groups etc etc. Basically every heavy, virtuoso rock band that followed. I don't think their influence on rock music can be overstated.

Without them, the first few Queen albums might've sounded a fair bit different too.

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, Mook said:

Cream influenced Hendrix, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Vanilla Fudge, Blue Cheer, James Gang, Deep Purple, the major progressive groups etc etc. Basically every heavy, virtuoso rock band that followed. I don't think their influence on rock music can be overstated.

Without them, the first few Queen albums might've sounded a fair bit different too.

What he said. I think I'd add Mountain, ELP and most psychedelic rock bands too. I wasn't a big fan of all their music ( the Ginger Baker ten minute plus drum solos would have tested the patience of a saint) but they were original, innovative and set the template for a lot of the music that followed. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, aws said:

What he said. I think I'd add Mountain, ELP and most psychedelic rock bands too. I wasn't a big fan of all their music ( the Ginger Baker ten minute plus drum solos would have tested the patience of a saint) but they were original, innovative and set the template for a lot of the music that followed. 

Dunno, Cream may have just been a consciously Pop version of the Bluesbreakers.  

Cream needed another member with personality, they're absolutely devoid of any. Clapton should have stayed on the dope, at least it made him more entertaining on stage shouting at the crowd. 

If - hypothetically speaking - they'd have had Freddie as lead man they might have been incredible. As it is they're just three talented musicians noodling away on their instruments for what seems like hours, while the crowd tap their feet and stroke their chins. 

Also, Clapton was a massive racist, so fuck him. 

Gone for Queen here, Cream are obviously a tip-top (haha) band but Queen have the superior collection of music plus Freddie was a truly great front-man. And they recorded Bohemian Rhapsody which was a bat-shit decision at the time but it paid off.