You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream  

59 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/08/20 at 08:51

5 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

It would be interesting to know why electronic music is so underappreciated.

Probably depends on your definition of electronic music. At this time you had records like "Rock Box" and "Rockit" out - those are still considered at the vanguard of their styles. Those were artists that could excite people performing live which is where I think the early 80's English synth duos did not match up. Quite sure someone will pipe up about how great Pet Shop Boys were at Glastonbury but I don't think many would choose them over a Run-DMC or a Herbie Hancock show back in that day. 

• Upvote 1

I think there is a slice of electronic music that is true for.

It all boils down to what you think a "band" is as well. And as I suggested, how well they come across live.

Kraftwerk were a band, Devo was a band. If you are talking about sequenced music ZZ Top was at the forefront of that sound on the radio.

Certainly rap ensembles of that time came across as bands - Public Enemy, NWA, Beastie Boys

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Pet Shop Boys, kinell. Surprised the Tainted Love folks aren't in this.

I bet you like new order though.

Pet shop boys +

New Order =

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I bet you like new order though.

Pet shop boys +

New Order =

I did wonder where Electronic where in this competition. The first album is a belter. And Getting Away With It and Disappointed are classics. 

And this is a triumph of a album opener...

On 07/08/2020 at 18:44, johnsusername said:

The Pet Shop Boys have contributed as much to electronic music and pop as Cream did to rock. 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200121-why-pet-shop-boys-are-still-the-cleverest-men-in-pop 

Fair enough, I just can't compare anyone who plays an instrument to anyone who pushes buttons on an electronic thingy. 

47 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Yes it's great, what an outro, deffo one of my favourite albums along with the one he did next Boz Scaggs and Band. 

I need to check him out more to be honest. I've only really listened to him on when listening to other bands he's worked with. 

Where's the best place to start

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I need to check him out more to be honest. I've only really listened to him on when listening to other bands he's worked with. 

Silk Degrees is top Boz, great writing , great playing (Porcaro Brothers)

The two albums he sang on with Steve Miller are interesting as well.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

To be honest I've only had 3 albums. Boz Scaggs 

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

To be honest I've only had 3 albums, the one you showed recorded at Muscle Shoals, Boz Scaggs and Band which is more of a big band sound on some tracks which is great and then Silk Degrees again totally different as it's like polished discoish. 

I think he played with Steve Miller Band, I need to check him out a bit more myself. 

He did a good turn on Jools Holland a while back, with his band. 

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

1 minute ago, easytoslip said:

To be honest I've only had 3 albums. Boz Scaggs 

To be honest I've only had 3 albums, the one you showed recorded at Muscle Shoals, Boz Scaggs and Band which is more of a big band sound on some tracks which is great and then Silk Degrees again totally different as it's like polished discoish. 

I think he played with Steve Miller Band, I need to check him out a bit more myself. 

He did a good turn on Jools Holland a while back, with his band. 

Cool, I'll check them out. Back on shift tomorrow so a good time time to check him out. I can turn it up a bit being the only one in

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yes it is, I've been meaning to check the latter out for ages, what are they called? Had a few Steve Miller over the years  but can't recall Boz Scaggs being on them, I'll have to google him. 

5 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Yes it is, I've been meaning to check the latter out for ages, what are they called? Had a few Steve Miller over the years  but can't recall Boz Scaggs being on them, I'll have to google him. 

Sailor is the one most familiar with, not sure on the other one tbh

• Upvote 1