You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream  

59 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/08/20 at 08:51

50 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

this competition is becoming a predictable old mans circle wank. It’s astonishing that the Pet Shop boys are going out to a band that last produced a record over 50 years ago. Just call either Led zeppelin or the Stones as the winner and call it a day, 

Bollocks! I’m enjoying it. Pet Shop Boys are one of my favourites but I also like Cream and have no complaints about them going through. 

49 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

this competition is becoming a predictable old mans circle wank. It’s astonishing that the Pet Shop boys are going out to a band that last produced a record over 50 years ago. Just call either Led zeppelin or the Stones as the winner and call it a day, 

Ridiculous post. It's more astonishing that people recognise just how fucking good this band were and how enduring their recordings are.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

You are as predictable as an old mans circle wank. You are either BBB or some cunt. 

7 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

You'll be lucky if there are a handful of posters on here who were old enough to appreciate Cream when they formed in the mid-60s.

Far more of us were around when The Pet Shop Boys has their heyday in the late 80s.

The reason Cream are beating them & Led Zeppelin beat Primal Scream (for example) is because there are enough people who appreciate timeless music & the artists importance/influence in general. Nothing remotely 'astonishing' about it.

Not really worth getting upset about anyway, if you enjoy The Pet Shop Boys, go & listen to them & enjoy them, this cup isn't going to make a difference to that you big fucking Jessie.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

It’s not upsetting me, I just said it was a bit predictable and invariably will be won by a bunch of white blokes from the 1960s making guitar based music influenced by the blues. Maybe we should rename it “which of these 4 bands (The Beatles, the Stones, the Who or Led Zeppelin) is the best British band”. Be a lot quicker to run the competition. 

Don’t post in anymore of the threads then. Fucking retweeting Tory propaganda on twitter then throwing your weight around on here? Fuck off. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

It’s not upsetting me, I just said it was a bit predictable and invariably will be won by a bunch of white blokes from the 1960s making guitar based music influenced by the blues. Maybe we should rename it “which of these 4 bands (The Beatles, the Stones, the Who or Led Zeppelin) is the best British band”. Be a lot quicker to run the competition. 

One of my favourite bands (Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath) won’t win it either, but it won’t stop me enjoying it. Some of the comments in the threads have been amusing, some interesting, and some have made me check out bands I didn’t really know much about. For instance Gang Of Four weren’t even nominated but some people talking about them made me check out some of their stuff on YouTube and I really like what I heard. I’m also not wedded to one style of music, I mostly listen to metal and classic rock, but I like other genres of music as well. 

• Upvote 3

About five or six years ago, I was sitting in the car in the Asda car park while my wife did the shopping. It was a warm day, so I had the windows wound all the way down and was listening to Absolute 80s on the radio. Heart by the Pet Shop Boys came on and I turned the volume up. A couple of girls in their early twenties walked past, one sniggered and said to the other, “Look at him playing his dad music”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

About five or six years ago, I was sitting in the car in the Asda car park while my wife did the shopping. It was a warm day, so I had the windows wound all the way down and was listening to Absolute 80s on the radio. Heart by the Pet Shop Boys came on and I turned the volume up. A couple of girls in their early twenties walked past, one sniggered and said to the other, “Look at him playing his dad music”.

Should have got some Cream on, they'd be blowing you within minutes.

8 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think there's always an inevitability about these things being dominated by bands playing instruments that a medieval troubadour would have been familiar with. Musical tastes always trend towards the conservative, especially among those who would baulk at being described as conservative.

The Beatles aren't in this competiton, because they'd definitely win it. And that's the issue I have with these other blues-influenced, guitar-based 60s bands winning the competiton. The Beatles exist, so these other bands are, by definition, not at the top of the tree in their genre.

It would be interesting to know why electronic music is so underappreciated. Is it snobbery about electronic instruments, a misplaced belief that the artists aren't "making" the noise themselves because they're not bashing or strumming something? A musical Neo-Luddism? Does rock music appeal to something ancestral, dating back to when our caveman ancestors were literally banging rocks together?

16 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I think there's always an inevitability about these things being dominated by bands playing instruments that a medieval troubadour would have been familiar with. Musical tastes always trend towards the conservative, especially among those who would baulk at being described as conservative.

The Beatles aren't in this competiton, because they'd definitely win it. And that's the issue I have with these other blues-influenced, guitar-based 60s bands winning the competiton. The Beatles exist, so these other bands are, by definition, not at the top of the tree in their genre.

It would be interesting to know why electronic music is so underappreciated. Is it snobbery about electronic instruments, a misplaced belief that the artists aren't "making" the noise themselves because they're not bashing or strumming something? A musical Neo-Luddism? Does rock music appeal to something ancestral, dating back to when our caveman ancestors were literally banging rocks together?

The Beatles weren't really a 'blues influenced' band though & have very little in common with the likes of Cream or Zeppelin.

Also, Led Zeppelin were using synthesizers in the early 70s.

• Upvote 2