You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream  

59 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 1. Pet Shop Boys vs Cream

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/08/20 at 08:51

7 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'd listen to Girls Aloud before I'd listen to about 90% of these bands, to be fair.

Now it all makes perfect sense.

11 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I won't knock you for preferring one over the other, but if you're calling PSB pretentious yuppie wankers, then you clearly didn't understand them in the first place.

Quite, Neil Tennant is a wonderful songwriter he really is. Irony, wit and pathos all clothed in some truly gorgeous tunes.

18 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Quite, Neil Tennant is a wonderful songwriter he really is. Irony, wit and pathos all clothed in some truly gorgeous tunes.

Captain Howdy knows. As does Stronts. Pet Shop Boys are a great pop band. Tennant was writing for Smash Hits for years beforehand and he knew what he was doing. 

I always find it odd when people love New Order yet hate Pet Shop Boys. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Clapton and Pet Shop Boys have both won the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music, and they've both won the Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music.

So... yes?

Fair play, but I can't remember anything outstanding from the Pet Shop Boys, I would say Cream contributed considerably more and were musicians. 

The Spice Girls etc probably sold more but that does not mean they're better than say Boz Scaggs for instance. 

4 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Fair play, but I can't remember anything outstanding from the Pet Shop Boys, I would say Cream contributed considerably more and were musicians. 

The Spice Girls etc probably sold more but that does not mean they're better than say Boz Scaggs for instance. 

I've probably heard more songs from the Spice Girls than Boz Scaggs.

6 hours ago, easytoslip said:

The Pet Shop Boys have contributed as much to electronic music and pop as Cream did to rock. 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200121-why-pet-shop-boys-are-still-the-cleverest-men-in-pop 

Pet Shop Boys were great, even though I voted for Cream I was looking forward to voting for these but Cream had a drummer who frankly deserves to proceed on his own.

The album with Always On My Mind is one of the best albums I had on vinyl. Domino Dancing and Left To My Own Devices also were on the same album.

Being Boring is an incredibly understated song, my favourite PSB song. 

Why Pet Shop Boys’ Being Boring is the perfect pop song

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2010/aug/05/pet-shop-boys-being-boring

I never knew the guitar was by JJ Belle...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/being-boring-the-path-to-a-pop-elegy-1519741800

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Left to My Own Devices needs the extended version to fully appreciate its brilliance

The Extended Nude mix of I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing also a personal favourite

Not sure I've repped one of your posts before but the extended version from the album is a great way to open the account. 

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Left to my own devices is probably my favourite PSB track, also love Jealously, I’m not scared, Rent and Being boring amongst many others. Yesterday when I was mad is another beauty.

I've not heard their last album but it got solid reviews. May have to dig it out on my preferred music provider. 

17 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

this competition is becoming a predictable old mans circle wank. It’s astonishing that the Pet Shop boys are going out to a band that last produced a record over 50 years ago. Just call either Led zeppelin or the Stones as the winner and call it a day, 

Hmm, by that logic music produced last week will be better than the PSB that was done 30 years ago

Or fucking Mozart doing his shit 250 years ago

• Upvote 1