You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Minute Silence

Truered

• 15 years later...

A million threads on this, but this is the oldest I could find. 

I dug it up because apparently all the third-round FA Cup ties are being delayed for "mental health awareness". 

What a load of old SHITTTT. Not mental health awareness. Being dictated to by (presumably) the FA for what is, or is not, worthy of such recognition. Which cause is sufficiently deserving? More importantly, which cause ISN'T sufficiently deserving? Who decides, and why? Fucking bollocks, that's what it is. 

I need convincing that ANYTHING demands a minute's (or, worse, two. What next three? Five?) silence. Or, come to that, applause, or any other shit someone cares to invent if they haven't already.

And yes, of course Hillsborough is a strong case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rb14 said:

I dug it up because apparently all the third-round FA Cup ties are being delayed for "mental health awareness". 

What a load of old SHITTTT. Not mental health awareness. Being dictated to by (presumably) the FA for what is, or is not, worthy of such recognition. Which cause is sufficiently deserving? More importantly, which cause ISN'T sufficiently deserving? Who decides, and why? Fucking bollocks, that's what it is. 

I need convincing that ANYTHING demands a minute's (or, worse, two. What next three? Five?) silence. Or, come to that, applause, or any other shit someone cares to invent if they haven't already.

But they've made a special film featuring one of the Windsors.  (Can't remember if it's Charles's lad or the major's bastard.)

If that doesn't convince you that it's worthy, I don't know what will.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
4 hours ago, rb14 said:

Fully agree. It will be a mass ego trip for those saying they participate in it rather than those who actually need the help benefiting from such things. 

36 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I’m sure I read or heard that the plan Prince William had was for everyone in the crowd to spend the minute talking to the person next to them about their feelings.

Be like standing next to me if I’ve been on  the gin 

So the person next to you gets to moan about stuff that's nothing to do with football. 

What a refreshing change that will be in the Lower Kenny.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Be funny if you said that to someone at the match, after they told you that they were depressed.

In all seriousness men’s mental health is a big issue these days, it’s why so many medicate through alcohol or coke. Tony Soprano’s rant was later in the series proven to be a defence mechanism, a macho front to distract from a deep depression and suicidal thoughts.

I hear what the OP says re the FA, but if this helps someone talk to someone and get help I’d say it’s worth it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You really think I'm being fucking serious. 

Instead of giving a minutes silence to highlight it, or the Royals idea of just talking to a stranger how about they actually put some funding in place or pressured the government to do so

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

You really think I'm being fucking serious. 

Instead of giving a minutes silence to highlight it, or the Royals idea of just talking to a stranger how about they actually put some funding in place or pressured the government to do so

I wasn’t sure, it’s hard to tell the sarcastic tone of a video on the internet 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I hear what the OP says re the FA, but if this helps someone talk to someone and get help I’d say it’s worth it.

I'm assuming by "OP" you mean me? Whether it "helps someone talk to someone" really is not my point. It's why mental health? Why now? Why ever? Why ever anything? I don't want to be dictated to about what I should or shouldn't be considering, and certainly not by the fucking FA. And I want to know on what basis they're deciding which are "acceptable" and, more relevantly, what are "unacceptable" causes? And why in these matches? And why in football? I don't even want to be dictated to by Liverpool fucking FC.

They can all stick their minute's and minutes' silences and applauses up their fucking arse and arses. I really find it more than a little demeaning.