Quantcast
Transfer spotlight- Jamal Lewis - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TLW

Transfer spotlight- Jamal Lewis

Recommended Posts

The summer transfer window has recently opened and while the recently crowned Premier League champions have a squad chock full of talent, there is still a few holes that need filling.

One of them is a back up for the tireless workhorse in Andy Robertson. While Jurgen Klopp has called on stopgap measures within the squad whenever Robbo needs a week-earned break, it is always handy to have a specialist in that position.

A player that has been linked of late is Jamal Lewis from Norwich. The 22 year-old former Luton junior arrived at the Canaries since 2014 and his talent was highlighted when he was selected in the Championship team of the year for the 2018/9 season.

 

This season Lewis made 28 appearances in the league and another four in the FA Cup.

Someone who has seen the rise of the Northern Irish international rise through the ranks is Connor Southwell who was the first fan correspondent for the TLW Opposition View series last August.

Writing in his article for The Pinkun, Southwell gave a in-depth report of the season by Lewis.

 

image.png

“Lewis’ rise in particular has been meteoric. Prior to his arrival at Carrow Road, the left-back wasn’t even convinced that football was the path he wanted to pursue.


"Fast forward three years and the 22-year-old has 100 games under his belt and is a fully-fledged Northern Irish international.
.
"This season has seen City’s stars suffer a series of setbacks - adversity and the Premier League often go hand in hand, Lewis had to cope with injury, losing his position in the side and facing players with similar athletic qualities to him.

“Rolling with the punches is an intrinsic part of an academy graduate’s education - prior to this season, Lewis’ only first-team experiences had been positive.


"In the long-term, the lessons learned this season will help to further refine the full-back’s game. 

"His ball retention and combination play on the left side helped City possess a relative amount of solidity down that flank in the second half of the season.

“Adaptation to a division that prevented Lewis from gallivanting forward at every opportunity proved testing. A trip to Turf Moor in September saw the crowd pick on the Luton-born left-back, every pass was the subject of ridicule, the scrutiny was something Lewis hadn’t been forced to contend with in his career to date.

“Lewis has been forced to learn to become more balanced in his approach. From attacking at will and possessing an advanced position, to suddenly having to pick his moments to support attacks and being alert to the risk of being caught on the counter.

“The high point of the season on a personal basis was undoubtedly his volley in the Canaries’ 1-0 victory over Leicester City - his first ever league goal for City.


"The second half of the season saw a series of more composed and balanced performances from Lewis. Endeavour is never in short supply - but improvement in the final third will be next on the agenda for the youngster.

 

image.png

Additionally, Connor told TLW that Lewis may not be the right purchase for Jurgen Klopp at this point of time.

“I don’t think he’s quite ready for the step up yet. He’s 22 and still has plenty of potential to grow into. 

"I don’t think he’s quite effective enough for an attacking sense, but the way in which Liverpool play their full-backs could benefit him. I couldn’t really comment on his crossing because it’s not something that Norwich do a lot of. 

“Defensively, he’s better than Max Aarons. In a 1v1, he’s very competent and his athleticism does give him an edge against opponents. I think he could develop further under Klopp, but the key right now is getting a good amount of game time.”

That is the main issue when finding someone to play the back-up role, especially someone like Lewis who will undoubtedly be excited by the idea of joining the best team in England and learning from one of worlds best left-backs in Robertson, but clearly regular minutes will be at a premium.


Certainly it is a interesting conundrum for the youngster.

 

The two teams will no doubt squabble over a fee for a period of time but you sense they will eventually meet somewhere in the middle.

 

And in this Covid impacted market, it could be a smart bit of business for all concerned.
 


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been no decision yet on the change to five subs. I'd be very surprised if it happens as it needs 14 clubs to support it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WHY DON’T WE JUST PAY THE £20M? 
 

FSG ARE SO TIGHT. FUCK OFF LINDA.
 

MORE IRRATIONAL ANGER DRESSED UP AS GENUINE GROUND BREAKING INSIGHT. 
 

Etc etc etc . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, A_S said:

With 5 subs next season, playing time should be less of an issue. 

 

4 hours ago, aws said:

There's been no decision yet on the change to five subs. I'd be very surprised if it happens as it needs 14 clubs to support it. 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 5 subs thing certainly screws the smaller clubs.

 

Keeping it would also clearly benefit Manchester City, and, given their additional attacking acquisitions, Man United and Chelsea.

 

Good ruling for us, as there's a fair drop-off in most positions to reserves/kids from our brilliant first XI, which is still the best in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With talk of us offering Larouci as part of the deal, I wonder if adding Brewster in on a year long loan could help swing it. Better club than Swansea, he's scoring for fun in the Championship and could well get them promoted again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

With talk of us offering Larouci as part of the deal, I wonder if adding Brewster in on a year long loan could help swing it. Better club than Swansea, he's scoring for fun in the Championship and could well get them promoted again 

Brewster likes Swansea though with his old coach there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw one of those octagon type stat photos the other day and he and Robertsons are near identical from Robertsons time at Hull.

So that may be an indication of his potential 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/08/2020 at 14:36, El Rojo said:

The 5 subs thing certainly screws the smaller clubs.

 

Keeping it would also clearly benefit Manchester City, and, given their additional attacking acquisitions, Man United and Chelsea.

 

Good ruling for us, as there's a fair drop-off in most positions to reserves/kids from our brilliant first XI, which is still the best in the league.

Actually there is no evidence it benefits bigger clubs and some evidence it benefits smaller clubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just means not using Milner, Neko or gomez as left back if Robbo gets injured. Does he improve the team probably not but it stops square pegs in round holes. 

 

Where can we improve mostly, in my opinion for the starting 11 its midfield, mainly Ginis position as Henderson is captain and vital, Keita for me next season is last chance saloon but he should get that season plus he is young and the same goes for fabino young and great and Gini as much as I love the Guy and he's a superb footballer we have contract issues plus our team is aging after next season how many of our team are 29 plus its not going to be an evolution of a side but a revolution in order to move on.

 

Ideally I'd keep Gini 100 percent but as we are a sell to buy club and we have to manipulate wages he'd be the one I'd move on and maybe we need a different type of player that gives us options to change our shape and style a little bit now and then. After the midfield its an Origi replacement id work on. He's a cult hero, scoredsome huge goals but you still get the "were happy with the current score" when he comes on feeling.

 

We've such a good first 11 the fact Gini is the one I'd reluctantly let go reminds me even if we don't sign anybody were in great shape, we just have to be lucky with injuries in whats going to be a packed season and hope they still have the same hunger just a 1 percent drop is huge.

 

I'm not sure I can let Gini go actually. I forgot about Ox see you later lad.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gini has played 36 33 35 and 37 league games in our last 4 seasons. He flies under the radar a bit but it would be a seismic change to our midfield set up for him to go.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sir roger said:

Gini has played 36 33 35 and 37 league games in our last 4 seasons. He flies under the radar a bit but it would be a seismic change to our midfield set up for him to go.

If he leaves, I can't see it being down to the club letting him go - it would more likely be down to something that he wants.

 

I'm pretty confident he will stay - so confident that if he does leave I will cook a breakfast with beans and post the picture of it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He wants a last payday been on the same wages since his first contract. Not even a raise with the rate of inflation, so essentially a pay cut every year the poor bastard. Then again maybe his bonus pay tops it up. I cant blame him for wanting champion wages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’re not happy allegedly.
 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-liverpool-jamal-lewis-inside-story-revealed-1-6788110

 

Norwich City: The inside story on Liverpool's chase for Jamal Lewis in the transfer window | Eastern Daily Press

Exclusive

The inside story on City, Liverpool and Jamal Lewis saga

12 August, 2020 - 06:00

Jamal Lewis has had a turbulent few days but remains a Norwich City player Picture: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd

Jamal Lewis reportedly cut short a holiday to seal a ‘dream move’ to Liverpool. He might need another to stop his head spinning before Norwich City begin their Championship quest.

'Welcome Back, Norwich City' - The Rebound #1 - Ft. Benjamin Bloom and Gabriel Sutton

Copied

Not that it is any laughing matter. Not for a 22-year-old who was at the centre of a feeding frenzy before, during and after Liverpool’s very public pursuit played out through favoured media. 

Such as it was. One emailed offer last Wednesday night around 9:30pm, to Stuart Webber’s inbox before an immediate rejection was returned. 

A brief message containing proposed figures that would have represented a fifth of what Manchester City paid to a fellow relegated club, Bournemouth, for Nathan Ake. Allied to very ambitious clauses inserted for future earnings, such as Lewis’ leading role in another Champions League victory for Jurgen Klopp’s men. 

That, after a day when the club had been bombarded by media requests informing them of an incoming offer from Merseyside. 

City were left waiting for acknowledgement to their reply, let alone a response or a second, improved offer to the opening curt exchange. From City’s side there would have been pragmatism and a realism a deal could have been struck to the benefit of all parties.

That Liverpool did not return with an improved bid and within days had unveiled Kostas Tsimikas from Olympiakos left more questions than answers. Certainly for Norwich. 

Tsimikas himself has since suggested his move was already well underway by the time his former club were exiting the Europa League at Wolves. 

That came barely 24 hours after contact had been made with the Canaries. 

Whether Lewis was a bargaining chip or whether the Reds were prepared to see which of the two chases paid off first is open to debate. The voluminous slew of social media opinion has raged for days since. 

There are plenty of Norwich fans who share the club’s own view a lack of respect was shown.

All the more puzzling given Webber and fellow executive committee member Zoe Ward built relationships that still endure with Liverpool from their previous time working on Merseyside. 

Now the fear for many of those same Norwich fans is they have to repair one with a player who had the chance taken away to join the Premier League, World and still European champions. 

There has been no rupture. 

Both Lewis and his representative were as surprised as his club to discover the scale of Liverpool’s modest offer, even in the current economic climate. There has been no fallout. There will be no downing of tools or any transfer request. 

City’s top brass were mindful of the negative currents this could unleash around a tight knit dressing room and have already sought to limit any repercussions. 

Lewis’ maturity saw him emerge as the first of Daniel Farke’s fledglings to cement a place in Norwich’s first team. But the last few days must have left him bruised, dazed and upset. 

Who would not want to jump at the chance to work with Klopp and his galaxy of talent? 

The Northern Irish international was no different. It is a mark perhaps of his self-confidence he was ready to take his chance to compete with Andy Robertson. But Lewis can also see the bigger picture. 

There will be other offers and other interest, if he continues his accelerated progress. 

Liverpool in the short term viewed him, or for that matter Tsimikas, as a prospective signing that could provide back up and challenge the Scot on the left of the Reds’ superb defence. 

Yes the champions of England have a duty to their own club and vast fan base, and no doubt a summer transfer strategy where sourcing an understudy to a player yet in his prime hardly ranked as a top priority. 

But City should not be disrespected or called into questioned for attaching a different value to Lewis. Or Ben Godfrey, Max Aarons, Todd Cantwell and Emi Buendia. 

That was another crucial factor in play. Norwich will not undersell one of their best and brightest, if it unleashes potential demands for similar parity in this transfer window from the rest, should clubs come knocking. 

Webber could not have been clearer following relegation. 

None of the above leave for less than they received in tougher financial territory for James Maddison. 

Many Norwich fans have already noted reports Liverpool will now potentially listen to offers for one of their own in Harry Wilson. 

A homegrown player contracted to the Reds for the same length as Lewis is to Norwich. A player who spent last season on loan at Bournemouth, where he made three more Premier League appearances, and currently has five more international caps. 

Wilson is yet to appear for his parent club in the Premier League. Yet the Welshman is now being touted for £20m. Sound familiar? 

If that is the going market rate for the 23-year-old then it is hard to see why Liverpool felt they could lift Lewis for less than half that amount. If they wanted him at all. 

The wheel has already turned. Liverpool have their man. Norwich have Lewis. 

Social media duels back and forth show little sign of abating. Expect plenty more speculation around City’s young left back in the weeks ahead. 

Lewis has made no secret of his ambition to play at the very highest level. If it is not to be this summer there is an expectancy within Carrow Road that could happen in the next two windows that follow. 

But this affair leaves a sour aftertaste.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aRdja said:

They’re not happy allegedly.
 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-liverpool-jamal-lewis-inside-story-revealed-1-6788110

 

Norwich City: The inside story on Liverpool's chase for Jamal Lewis in the transfer window | Eastern Daily Press

Exclusive

The inside story on City, Liverpool and Jamal Lewis saga

12 August, 2020 - 06:00

Jamal Lewis has had a turbulent few days but remains a Norwich City player Picture: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd

Jamal Lewis reportedly cut short a holiday to seal a ‘dream move’ to Liverpool. He might need another to stop his head spinning before Norwich City begin their Championship quest.

'Welcome Back, Norwich City' - The Rebound #1 - Ft. Benjamin Bloom and Gabriel Sutton

Copied

Not that it is any laughing matter. Not for a 22-year-old who was at the centre of a feeding frenzy before, during and after Liverpool’s very public pursuit played out through favoured media. 

Such as it was. One emailed offer last Wednesday night around 9:30pm, to Stuart Webber’s inbox before an immediate rejection was returned. 

A brief message containing proposed figures that would have represented a fifth of what Manchester City paid to a fellow relegated club, Bournemouth, for Nathan Ake. Allied to very ambitious clauses inserted for future earnings, such as Lewis’ leading role in another Champions League victory for Jurgen Klopp’s men. 

That, after a day when the club had been bombarded by media requests informing them of an incoming offer from Merseyside. 

City were left waiting for acknowledgement to their reply, let alone a response or a second, improved offer to the opening curt exchange. From City’s side there would have been pragmatism and a realism a deal could have been struck to the benefit of all parties.

That Liverpool did not return with an improved bid and within days had unveiled Kostas Tsimikas from Olympiakos left more questions than answers. Certainly for Norwich. 

Tsimikas himself has since suggested his move was already well underway by the time his former club were exiting the Europa League at Wolves. 

That came barely 24 hours after contact had been made with the Canaries. 

Whether Lewis was a bargaining chip or whether the Reds were prepared to see which of the two chases paid off first is open to debate. The voluminous slew of social media opinion has raged for days since. 

There are plenty of Norwich fans who share the club’s own view a lack of respect was shown.

All the more puzzling given Webber and fellow executive committee member Zoe Ward built relationships that still endure with Liverpool from their previous time working on Merseyside. 

Now the fear for many of those same Norwich fans is they have to repair one with a player who had the chance taken away to join the Premier League, World and still European champions. 

There has been no rupture. 

Both Lewis and his representative were as surprised as his club to discover the scale of Liverpool’s modest offer, even in the current economic climate. There has been no fallout. There will be no downing of tools or any transfer request. 

City’s top brass were mindful of the negative currents this could unleash around a tight knit dressing room and have already sought to limit any repercussions. 

Lewis’ maturity saw him emerge as the first of Daniel Farke’s fledglings to cement a place in Norwich’s first team. But the last few days must have left him bruised, dazed and upset. 

Who would not want to jump at the chance to work with Klopp and his galaxy of talent? 

The Northern Irish international was no different. It is a mark perhaps of his self-confidence he was ready to take his chance to compete with Andy Robertson. But Lewis can also see the bigger picture. 

There will be other offers and other interest, if he continues his accelerated progress. 

Liverpool in the short term viewed him, or for that matter Tsimikas, as a prospective signing that could provide back up and challenge the Scot on the left of the Reds’ superb defence. 

Yes the champions of England have a duty to their own club and vast fan base, and no doubt a summer transfer strategy where sourcing an understudy to a player yet in his prime hardly ranked as a top priority. 

But City should not be disrespected or called into questioned for attaching a different value to Lewis. Or Ben Godfrey, Max Aarons, Todd Cantwell and Emi Buendia. 

That was another crucial factor in play. Norwich will not undersell one of their best and brightest, if it unleashes potential demands for similar parity in this transfer window from the rest, should clubs come knocking. 

Webber could not have been clearer following relegation. 

None of the above leave for less than they received in tougher financial territory for James Maddison. 

Many Norwich fans have already noted reports Liverpool will now potentially listen to offers for one of their own in Harry Wilson. 

A homegrown player contracted to the Reds for the same length as Lewis is to Norwich. A player who spent last season on loan at Bournemouth, where he made three more Premier League appearances, and currently has five more international caps. 

Wilson is yet to appear for his parent club in the Premier League. Yet the Welshman is now being touted for £20m. Sound familiar? 

If that is the going market rate for the 23-year-old then it is hard to see why Liverpool felt they could lift Lewis for less than half that amount. If they wanted him at all. 

The wheel has already turned. Liverpool have their man. Norwich have Lewis. 

Social media duels back and forth show little sign of abating. Expect plenty more speculation around City’s young left back in the weeks ahead. 

Lewis has made no secret of his ambition to play at the very highest level. If it is not to be this summer there is an expectancy within Carrow Road that could happen in the next two windows that follow. 

But this affair leaves a sour aftertaste.

Here we go again, another club throwing their toys out of the pram and attempting to shift the blame onto Liverpool.

 

I dont see how Ake's fee has anything to do with this. There was talk of chelsea wanting him back and who knows what sell on clause they had inserted when they sold him to bournemouth. In any event, Andy Robbo's fee is more relevant here. A leftback from a relegated club, £8m and no add ons.

 

It seem Norwich were the curt ones with an immediate rejection of Liverpool's bid. At first the media spoke of a £10m bid. Then the 'substantial' sell on clause was mentioned so was that part of the first bid or follow up by Liverpool?

 

It seems strange to me that Norwich can dismiss a transfer enquiry out of hand but then blame the enquiring club for no further follow up bid. I guess if we had of done, Norwich would now be moaning we made a further bid when they made it clear they were not selling and the attention was unwanted.

 

As for the Tsimikas bid, what, so they are suggestting we can only target one player at a time? Im presuming Liverpool had enquired about both players and that Olimpiacos were more willing to negotiate hence the negotiations went smoother. And Norwich should note we paid roughly the same amount for the player as we bid for Lewis.

 

I feel for Lewis in all this. He made it very clear he wanted to leave and come to Liverpool. His club's stance has lost him the chance to remain in the PL and advance his career. That's no disrespect to Norwich or their set up but the ball is firmly in their court.

 

Have they apologised for their crowd roughing up Sir Bob when he went to take his seat in their main stand yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, clockspeed said:

One fifth the price of Ake. To be fair that seems to be pitched correctly in my opinion.

Exactly.  Lewis is average at best. 

 

Norwich are gutted they tried to play games with Edwards and lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this article suggesting that the club actually knows what it's doing now when it comes to signing new players? 

That's a bit of a novelty isn't it? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×