You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Primal Scream vs Led Zeppelin

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Primal Scream vs Led Zeppelin   

64 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 1. Primal Scream vs Led Zeppelin

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/08/20 at 16:01

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Seeding would make some of these maulings even worse.

Zeppelin should win this whole shootin match.

Yeah, but you wouldn't end up with nonentities drawn against each other while other decent bands go out at the hands of the 'big boys'.

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Fuck, two of my favourite bands. If this ever happens again, we definitely need seeding.

Seedings? Really? Zeppelin are one of the best bands of all time, whereas I expected Primal Scream to get dumped out in the first round, unless they drew one of the minnows, such as Travis.

Led Zeppelin, all day long. If there was seeding, I’d have them at No.3 and a certain semi finalist.

As it is, they’ll probably get The Stones in the next round and be shown their behinds.

Shame for Primal Scream. Much too good for the first round exit they’re about to receive.  

I love Primal Scream and Screamadelica is the come-down/lazy-shagging-after-the-main-event soundtrack to my youth so I need to vote for that. Plus they have a huge amount of songs that I love from Get yer rocks off to Country Girl. However I am aware that actually Led Zeppelin are the better band, even after you’ve taken off the points for Stairway being annoyingly ubiquitous 

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

Led Zeppelin are the greatest rock band of all time by a fucking mile.

They should piss this & every other round too.

Possibly a conversation for later rounds when they go up against the Stones, but do you think that studio Led Zeppelin fully compete with the absolute greatest or are they relying a bit too much on the live experience?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

Possibly a conversation for later rounds when they go up against the Stones, but do you think that studio Led Zeppelin fully compete with the absolute greatest or are they relying a bit too much on the live experience?

For my money Zeppelin made 5 all time classic studio albums (I love Houses of The Holy & Presence too but wouldn't include them in that category). I, II, III, IV & Physical Graffiti.

The Stones made 5 (Beggars Banquet to Goats Head Soup).

The Beatles made 6 (Rubber Soul onwards).

Yeah, I think they hold their own on studio work alone. Obviously they didn't realise singles so lose ground on that front a bit. Live, in their prime they would've made mincemeat of The Beatles & The Stones.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

For my money Zeppelin made 5 all time classic studio albums (I love Houses of The Holy & Presence too but wouldn't include them in that category). I, II, III, IV & Physical Graffiti.

The Stones made 5 (Beggars Banquet to Goats Head Soup).

The Beatles made 6 (Rubber Soul onwards).

Yeah, I think they hold their own on studio work alone. Obviously they didn't realise singles so lose ground on that front a bit. Live, in their prime they would've made mincemeat of The Beatles & The Stones.

Always enjoyed them more when it’s a live recording - much like Midnight Rambler doesn’t stand out as much as a studio track. I don’t think they’ve got an album that compares to Exile.

I wouldn’t rate them next to the Beatles on studio work, purely due to innovation and breadth of experimentation. Difficult to judge the Beatles on live experience as it was basically a circus for a couple of years until they gave up on even trying it. 

Obviously all opinion- based

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

AC/DC are better than Led Zeppelin. 

Don't be silly. 

They are a great band and put out some really good stuff, they lost something that they couldn't replace with Bon's death. I'm glad they carried on and Johnson done a really good job stepping in but he was no Bon Scott. But they are not at LZ level imo. A stunning live band though, one of the bands I'm disappointed not to have seen.