You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Iron Maiden vs The Coral

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 1. Iron Maiden vs The Coral  

62 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 1. Iron Maiden vs The Coral

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/08/20 at 08:47

The Coral are a gem of a band. Butterfly House is fantastic album, a real Americana vibe, fantastic harmonies and occasionally psychedelic. 

They are a fantastic band with a great back catalogue and well worth an explore. Great live too. 

Maiden sound like a tribute act to me, that’s not meant to be a dis although I appreciate sounds like one. Good at what they do, talented musicians but ultimately derivative in my humble opinion. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Used to play footy with James now and then when I lived on the Wirral, so gets my vote... told him once to come play footy and fuck the guitar off

Not a maiden fan at all...

He could have ended up posting on here instead of being draped in head to toe pussy if he'd listened. Silly lad!

9 hours ago, paddyberger said:

The Coral are a gem of a band. Butterfly House is fantastic album, a real Americana vibe, fantastic harmonies and occasionally psychedelic. 

They are a fantastic band with a great back catalogue and well worth an explore. Great live too. 

Maiden sound like a tribute act to me, that’s not meant to be a dis although I appreciate sounds like one. Good at what they do, talented musicians but ultimately derivative in my humble opinion. 

Derivative of what?  Not much of a metal fan, but like Sabbath I've always thought of Maiden as having an iconic sound. I guess Judas Priest maybe?

As an aside, Number of the Beast one of the best albums to listen to while working. Getting shit done music.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Derivative of what?  Not much of a metal fan, but like Sabbath I've always thought of Maiden as having an iconic sound. I guess Judas Priest maybe?

As an aside, Number of the Beast one of the best albums to listen to while working. Getting shit done music.

Are Judas Priest, Uriah Heep and others in it too?

Speaking of metal and iconic, didn't Napalm Death invent death metal and weren't they the most influential band in that respect since, I don't know, Zeppelin or Sabbath or whoever is now being credited  with creating the beast in the first place. Don't remember seeing them in the list.

Good point on ND, but like Crass, or even Discharge, being influential isn't going to count for much when most people (even a fair number of those into that genre of music) just are not going to enjoy the music.

Which is fair enough really. At best they'd have been first round makeweights.

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I really like the first Frankie album. It's certainly got personality. Come on - a debut album with Relax, Two Tribes, The Power of Love and Welcome to the Pleasuredome? Although to be fair the band barely played on it, famously. 

The Power of Love can fuck right off. 

9 hours ago, johnsusername said:

I really like the first Frankie album. It's certainly got personality. Come on - a debut album with Relax, Two Tribes, The Power of Love and Welcome to the Pleasuredome? Although to be fair the band barely played on it, famously. 

I remember it being a massive disappointment- me and my mate bought it the day it got released and were thoroughly underwhelmed. 14 minutes of wibble to start it off, yet more remixes of the big singles (which were already feeling tired after being in the charts much of the previous year), a load of dull cover versions and some bang average new stuff.