You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Henderson: The fans are a huge part of this club and what we have been trying to achieve

TLW

Jordan Henderson has discussed at length what it means to be a part of a successful Liverpool team.

In a open letter at the unveiling of the new Liverpool kit designed by Nike, the Football Writers Player of the year said that while he leads the team into battle, every individual sets the standard.  

“It was a great honour to have been made captain. My focus has always been to lead by example and do everything I can to support my team-mates and help them perform to the best of their abilities.

Being the first Liverpool captain to lead them to the European, world and English titles is not something I think about, to be honest.

"We achieved it as a team, I haven’t done anything on my own. Everybody deserves credit, not just individuals.

“I could go right through the squad and know there will be the desire and hunger to improve, the willingness to fight for each other, the drive to set standards and demands from each other, everything you need in a successful team.

“The dressing room we have now is different to any other I’ve been in. It’s the closest group of players I’ve ever known.

Henderson has ridden the ups and downs at Liverpool more than any current squad member, but is incredibly thankful for the support he has been given along the way.

“There have been ups and downs over the last few years and throughout my career and there are always going to be tough times in your career and your life.

“It’s about how you deal and react to those setbacks. You can use them as motivation to push yourself forward and want to improve. You need those setbacks in your career to become stronger as a player and a person also.

“Obviously, it wasn’t always easy at the start of my Liverpool career and although a lot’s been made of it, it was never really an option for me to leave. I knew that wasn’t what I wanted, and it gave me even more motivation to prove people wrong.

“Brendan Rodgers was very good in that regard – he said he would help me improve and learn the things I needed to learn to get into the team more regularly. Tactically I became more aware and had a better understanding of the game, and going into the finer details really helped.

henderson5_600.jpg

Henderson gave a glowing tribute to his manager who he says has created the ultimate team environment.

"The manager deserves a huge amount of credit for what he has done since coming to Liverpool, not only the team but the whole club top to bottom and also the fans as well. He has brought everybody closer together and what he has created is so special.

“He has a good relationship with all the players. But he has a great balance in terms of the respect he has for them, knowing when to put an arm around them and knowing when they need a kick up the backside. You can see the players respond to him.

“The manager deserves a huge amount of credit for what he has done since coming to Liverpool, not only the team but the whole club top to bottom and also the fans as well. He has brought everybody closer together and what he has created is so special.

The 30 year-old touched on an emotional moment with his father who has had his own health battles to overcome once they were officially crowned champions.

“I spoke to my loved ones straight after Man City had lost to Chelsea to ensure we had won the title. 

“I spoke to my Dad, I think he had had a few wines, to be honest! He was quite emotional.

"Not much was being said, but he was over the moon we’d finally won the Premier League and was so happy for all of us.

Finally, the title winning skipper touched on the relationship between the unique bond between the players and fans and how they are thrilled to repay the love shown to them.

“I do think the relationship between Liverpool and its supporters is different than at other clubs. It is special. The fans are a huge part of this club and what we have been trying to achieve.

“You really do feel the connection between the fans and the players. When I came to Liverpool I could feel it straight away – and I know the other lads are the same. That’s why the last few years have been so special, we have been able to give something back to them.”

View full article