Quantcast
Bubbling under- great British bands that didn't make the cut - Page 6 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Mudface

Bubbling under- great British bands that didn't make the cut

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

To be fair to the massive racist, I'm not sure of the UK's equivalent of Sly & The Family Stone, Parliament or Public Enemy. 

The Average White Band.

The funkiest bunch of pasty Scots the world has ever seen! 

15 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The Average White Band.

The funkiest bunch of pasty Scots the world has ever seen! 

Thought that was Wet Wet Wet.

2 hours ago, NoelM said:

Frightened Rabbit

I seen these in the John Peel tent just before the courteeners come on and they were great as well.  I tried to get into their albums and struggled though.  Really loved Holy, Late March Death March and the woodpile.  I think it’s the Scottish accent of the singer just makes his voice sound class.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Did Supertramp go in?  I don’t remember seeing them on the list and can’t find it.

Great band that

4 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

XTC, Prefab Sprout, Jethro Tull, Blur, Gang of Four, The Stranglers, Tindersticks. All better than 70% of the original list. 

Nah.

9 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

XTC, Prefab Sprout, Jethro Tull, Blur, Gang of Four, The Stranglers, Tindersticks. All better than 70% of the original list. 

Blur is in - though they may be better than themselves in this draft if they are entered again.

Tull is a bad miss, think they were mentioned in the build up (to be fair to @Bjornebyehe was enabled in these selections)

19 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

Who are Gang of Four and Tindersticks? I've genuinely never heard of either.

Gang Of Four were a leading post punk outfit with angular funky guitar and a bit of dub who split from the Labour Party, Tindersticks always seemed like a lightweight Bad Seeds to me. 

11 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Gang Of Four were a leading post punk outfit with angular funky guitar and a bit of dub who split from the Labour Party, Tindersticks always seemed like a lightweight Bad Seeds to me. 

They weren't big on looks the Gang of Four.

11 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Who are Gang of Four and Tindersticks? I've genuinely never heard of either.

Tindersticks are the quietest band ever so no surprises there. Gang of Four were pretty loud though in the 80s. Not into the indie scene as a teenager I trust?

19 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Tindersticks are the quietest band ever so no surprises there. Gang of Four were pretty loud though in the 80s. Not into the indie scene as a teenager I trust?

Some indie bands but not these. Were these early 80s or late 80s as late 1980s were the beginning of my parenting days?

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Some indie bands but not these. Were these early 80s or late 80s as late 1980s were the beginning of my parenting days?

Gang of Four's heyday was very early 80s. Tindersticks came much later, mostly 90s and on.

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Late '70s and early '80s they were most active. They were never really commercially successful, but they were very influential on later alternative bands- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Four_(band)

Sadly, Andy Gill was one of the first Covid-19 casualties- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Gill

19 hours ago, The Guest said:

I seen these in the John Peel tent just before the courteeners come on and they were great as well.  I tried to get into their albums and struggled though.  Really loved Holy, Late March Death March and the woodpile.  I think it’s the Scottish accent of the singer just makes his voice sound class.

He (Scott Hutchison) took his own life in May 2018, a very talented guy and a truly brilliant live band.