Quantcast
Bubbling under- great British bands that didn't make the cut - Page 5 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Mudface

Bubbling under- great British bands that didn't make the cut

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

You're right, it is a bit odd to have Duran Duran in there.

I dunno, they've always had the sort of teeny New Romantic image, but they were very successful and sold over 100 million records. They were also pretty important for MTV with their glossy videos and were a more than decent live band too. You wouldn't really describe them as heavyweight, but they were a very good pop band and certainly weren't a novelty act.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

I dunno, they've always had the sort of teeny New Romantic image, but they were very successful and sold over 100 million records. They were also pretty important for MTV with their glossy videos and were a more than decent live band too. You wouldn't really describe them as heavyweight, but they were a very good pop band and certainly weren't a novelty act.

I know, was just kidding.

• Upvote 1

Doves

Portishead 
Teenage Fanclub
Mansun
The Cribs
Elvis Costello and the Attractions 
Spiritualized 
Super Furry Animals
The Charlatans 
Massive Attack
The Pogues

I don’t think I’ve seen any of the above pop up in the polls so far.

2 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

If there's ever an American one, the competition for places is going to much worse than this. 

If it’s also restricted to white male rock/pop bands, then I think you’d start to struggle for 64 and certainly not the quality of the UK. Basically you’d have some 60’s bands, grunge and a handful of others. Broaden it out a bit and then it gets hard

2 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

If it’s also restricted to white male rock/pop bands, then I think you’d start to struggle for 64 and certainly not the quality of the UK. Basically you’d have some 60’s bands, grunge and a handful of others. Broaden it out a bit and then it gets hard

We can fill out 4 white fellas with guitars pretty quick - everything from CCR to REM to Van Halen to Metallica.

The quality would be much higher.

9 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

Bollocks. You'd easy make 64. Minutemen, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag for a start. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

Didn't know UK selection was restricted to white male bands.

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Didn't know UK selection was restricted to white male bands.

Pretty underhand way for Pesti to suggest Stig is a massive racist, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Pretty underhand way for Pesti to suggest Stig is a massive racist, in my opinion.

That's not fair...

... he's also a massive sexist.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

And misogynist

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

That's not fair...

... he's also a massive sexist.

And ageist.