You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bubbling under- great British bands that didn't make the cut

Mudface

Some of the picks Stig made like Travis shouldn’t have been in it, and there are some glaring omissions like Buzzcocks and Elvis Costello and the Attractions, but for the most part I think Stig has got it right. We’re probably just arguing over the last ten spots or so. 

Most of the picks mentioned here and in the other thread fall under the category ’bands I personally like’ rather than ‘one of the 64 best British bands of all time’. 

I woke up in a cold sweat last night with flashbacks to someone suggesting Chumbawumba.

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Some of the picks Stig made like Travis shouldn’t have been in it, and there are some glaring omissions like Buzzcocks and Elvis Costello and the Attractions, but for the most part I think Stig has got it right. We’re probably just arguing over the last ten spots or so. 

Most of the picks mentioned here and in the other thread fall under the category ’bands I personally like’ rather than ‘one of the 64 best British bands of all time’. 

I woke up in a cold sweat last night with flashbacks to someone suggesting Chumbawumba.

They’re not my cup of tea but there’s an argument for Deep Purple being a lot higher than the last ten spots.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Someone else suggested Travis early on so I put them in. 

7 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Shout. Probably suffered due to people knowing him as a solo act?  Like PJ Harvey and, possibly, Ian Dury.

Don't think that actually happened. Used them as a comparison (as an example of a band that only broke the mainstream through gimmickry) and Stig put them in (I think) as a joke.

3 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

They’re not my cup of tea but there’s an argument for Deep Purple being a lot higher than the last ten spots.

Maybe but I don’t think they’d progress too far in this unless they got very favourable draws. Like I said, there are a handful of bands that definitely should have been included but the majority people are asking for could go either way. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Elvis Costello and the Attractions are in the top 10, not the last 10

I’ve been arguing for them to be included but they’re nowhere near the top ten. 

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Shout. Probably suffered due to people knowing him as a solo act?  Like PJ Harvey and, possibly, Ian Dury.

Yeah maybe. The lines definitely get blurred with bands names after the lead singer. I remember someone in work saying they loved Bruce Springsteen, so started a conversation with them about him as I’m a big fan, and turned out they’d never heard of the E street band. 

Don't think that actually happened. Used them as a comparison (as an example of a band that only broke the mainstream through gimmickry) and Stig put them in (I think) as a joke.

Hmmmm. I’ll choose to believe that since it’ll let me sleep at night.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’ve been arguing for them to be included but they’re nowhere near the top ten. 

Far more influential, talented and original than the majority of bands listed.

Two thirds of these bands will never see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Another big miss was Eric Burdon and the Animals

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Far more influential, talented and original than the majority of bands listed.

Two thirds of these bands will never see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Another big miss was Eric Burdon and the Animals

They’re in it aren’t they? Fucking best had be anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

There is an element of that, but I'd argue that Gang of Four's influence was immense even though they never really took off in terms of popularity. Their late 70s early 80s stuff still sounds very fresh today as well.

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

There is an element of that, but I'd argue that Gang of Four's influence was immense even though they never really took off in terms of popularity. Their late 70s early 80s stuff still sounds very fresh today as well.

Maybe. I wouldn’t have them in personally but you can make an argument for them, but there are probably about 30 or 40 bands you can make an argument for filling the last 5-10 places. They can’t all go in. 

Though almost any of them should go in instead of Travis. 

28 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Elvis Costello and the Attractions are in the top 10, not the last 10

I can’t see them making the top 10. Off the top of my head, in alphabetical order.

The Beatles 

Black Sabbath

Fleetwood Mac

The Kinks

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Queen

Roxy Music

The Rolling Stones

The Who

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

I can’t see them making the top 10. Off the top of my head, in alphabetical order.

The Beatles 

Black Sabbath

Fleetwood Mac

The Kinks

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Queen

Roxy Music

The Rolling Stones

The Who

Good list and hard to better, at least with regards to 'Big' bands.

Did Sabbath make Stigs list? Hope so. 

46 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Deep Purple were arguably the biggest band in the World in 1973.

The likes of Yes & ELP were absolutely huge as well. 

I'm not really moaning as it's a difficult thing to do but these bands changed music forever & travelled the globe like kings whereas Ocean Colour Scene really didn't.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Deep Purple were arguably the biggest band in the World in 1973.

The likes of Yes & ELP were absolutely huge as well. 

I'm not really moaning as it's a difficult thing to do but these bands changed music forever & travelled the globe like kings whereas Ocean Colour Scene really didn't.

OCS caught a train and I bet they didn't even go first class. 

My own personal one I definitely would have thrown in, after Elvis Costello, would have been ELO. 

Says on Wiki between 1972 and 1986 they had more top 40 songs in the UK and US charts combined than any other band in the world. I make it 14 UK top ten hits. Jeff Lynne became a Wilbury. Seriously, the thought that they were a smaller or less influential band than Ocean Colour Scene is laughable. 

On the other hand, he’s got a Brummie accent so...

B09BDDAC-D7B3-4496-BFE9-78F7DC7387A8.gif

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

My own personal one I definitely would have thrown in, after Elvis Costello, would have been ELO. 

Says on Wiki between 1972 and 1986 they had more top 40 songs in the UK and US charts combined than any other band in the world. I make it 14 UK top ten hits. Jeff Lynne became a Wilbury. Seriously, the thought that they were a smaller or less influential band than Ocean Colour Scene is laughable. 

On the other hand, he’s got a Brummie accent so...

B09BDDAC-D7B3-4496-BFE9-78F7DC7387A8.gif

Ocean Colour Scene are from Birmingham too.

32 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The Beatles 

Black Sabbath

Fleetwood Mac

The Kinks

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Queen

Roxy Music

The Rolling Stones

The Who

Yea, top 20 might be more like it. Certainly not in the bottom half of 64.

14 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

ELO. 

Yep. They were in the conversation though, some of these others were not

The other that seems to have a massive blind spot on here is Bad Company.

One of the greatest rock vocalists, killer rhythm section - top records throughout the 70's, massive concert draw.