You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament - Round 1. The Kinks vs Genesis

Bjornebye

British Band Tournament - Round 1. The Kinks vs Genesis   

68 members have voted

1. 1. British Band Tournament - Round 1. The Kinks vs Genesis

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/20 at 11:46

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

It really is this. Ray Davies is one of the greatest artists of any form this country has ever produced or is ever likely to produce.

The below video mocked years later by Oasis was apparently banned by our public broadcaster the bbc. Just makes me love the band more.  

"On a cold an frosty morrrnnning  wipe me eyes to stop me yarnnninn, and my feet are nearly frooozen,  so I boil some tea and put the toast on" 

Be hard pressed to find a finer song for a loved one lost than this, one of the greatest songs ever written 

Days is such a perfect song. 

4 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Days is such a perfect song. 

Great song. They didn't even put it on an album. It was recorded the same time as Village Green and Ray has since said he regrets not putting it on that. A bit like the Beatles not putting Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane on Sgt Peppers I guess. 

19 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

The Move

Adam and the Ants

Orange Juice

I am Kloot

Black Grape

Happy Mondays

The Durutti Column

The Divine Comedy

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions

Pet Shop Boys

The Auteurs

Gene

Josef K

Magazine

British Sea Power

Public Image Ltd

Buzzcocks

Ultrasound

Franz Ferdinand

Marion

To name but 20...

You made them up. I've never heard of half of them

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KMD7 said:

Scritti Politti ring a bell? 

11 on that list I have never heard of, some I'm not sure if I remember the band or its just the word, 3 or 4 were ok bands.

When bands like Yes, John Mayalls Bluesbreakers, The Shadows, King Crimson, ELO, EL & P, Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac and a host of others were left out and a bunch of nonenities and one hit wonders make the 64  its bit of a joke

Three on that list I've not heard of - The Move, The Durutti Column and Marion. Some others I couldn't name a song of though. Ultrasound is a right blast from the past. 

Magazine are great but I knew there was no real argument to be made for their inclusion so I didn't bother. They'd be in my top 64 though, for sure. Same with The Wildhearts, who somebody else mentioned a few times. 

Another one that came to mind last night that at least deserved to be mentioned but haven't been are The Blue Nile. 

Just now, Evelyn Tentions said:

11 on that list I have never heard of, some I'm not sure if I remember the band or its just the word, 3 or 4 were ok bands.

When bands like Yes, John Mayalls Bluesbreakers, The Shadows, King Crimson, ELO, EL & P, Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac and a host of others were left out and a bunch of nonenities and one hit wonders make the 64  its bit of a joke

Didn't realise Jon Mayall's Bluebreakers had been left out. Probably the most influential band in the development of British blues and blues/ rock even if hardly anybody has ever heard of them. 

19 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Go back to lying about NV's posts will ya

Eh? Lying?  What stupid trip you on? I've posted 2 of the greatest records by one of this country's greatest songwriters and here comes another Ray Davies classic. Now go howl at the moon

40 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Bloody hell, are you @stringvest's dad?!

22 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

The Move

Adam and the Ants

Orange Juice

I am Kloot

Black Grape

Happy Mondays

The Durutti Column

The Divine Comedy

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions

Pet Shop Boys

The Auteurs

Gene

Josef K

Magazine

British Sea Power

Public Image Ltd

Buzzcocks

Ultrasound

Franz Ferdinand

Marion

To name but 20...

Good shout with Marion. This world and body is a great album. Would liked for them to have stayed together longer if it wasn't for the lead singers heroin addiction.

19 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

Three on that list I've not heard of - The Move, The Durutti Column and Marion. Some others I couldn't name a song of though. Ultrasound is a right blast from the past. 

Magazine are great but I knew there was no real argument to be made for their inclusion so I didn't bother. They'd be in my top 64 though, for sure. Same with The Wildhearts, who somebody else mentioned a few times. 

Another one that came to mind last night that at least deserved to be mentioned but haven't been are The Blue Nile. 

You've never heard of The Move? Have you heard of Wizzard and ELO,Roy Wood even? The Move were the precursor to all of them.