You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the FA Cup winers get the 4th Champions League spot?

Bjornebye

Should the FA Cup winers get the 4th Champions League spot?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should the FA Cup winers get the 4th Champions League spot?

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

It would increase the chances of us being drawn against other English clubs, which I dislike. It would give more English teams the chance of winning the European Cup, which I wouldn’t want.

We could only play another Premiership team come the knock outs (the mancs in the EL were last 16) and although there would be more chance of an English team winning it, so what? You could say that about the other leagues as well.

3 minutes ago, Aventus said:

If you're having that many European spots then the FA cup is basically worthless, just a trophy for winning the first qualifying round and the typical top 6 are still going to play the rezzies until the semis. 

I’m literally scratching my head what that means but I assume if you make it winners only, it gets round that. I think.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

We could only play another Premiership team come the knock outs (the mancs in the EL were last 16) and although there would be more chance of an English team winning it, so what? You could say that about the other leagues as well.

I don’t want other English teams winning it. I like the fact that the London clubs only have one European Cup between them. 

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

They’d have to win it. Which, since 1995 only Wigan & Portsmouth would be surprise winners. Even going as far back as 1988, it’d only include Everton & Wimbledon.

Imagine Wigan or Portsmouth in the Champions League. Millwall got close the other year. Preposterous. 

2 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Imagine Wigan or Portsmouth in the Champions League. Millwall got close the other year. Preposterous. 

Portsmouth had a reasonable team back then, didn’t they make 2 cup finals in a row? 

Maybe if they’d have made the CL one season they wouldn’t be on the bones of their arse now. Same with Wigan. 

Milwall didn’t win it. 

My suggestion will never happen, but it’s nowhere near as daft an idea as you’ve made out. Given how many of your ideas and thoughts are shot down on the GF, I’d have thought you of all people would be more tolerant of an out the box opinion. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Radical ! 

I’ve posted my reasons. If you disagree, I’m more than happy to discuss. 

There are too many teams in the CL already, and with that loads of meaningless games. If you get more than two teams wrong when you pick the teams to go through from the group stage you are really unlucky, thats how predictable is is.

With more teams in it, there will be more games and again more predictable meaningless games.

If you want a European super league, you hold the recipy there I guess.

I dont, I dont really think you do either, or any fan for that matter.

7 minutes ago, Code said:

There are too many teams in the CL already, and with that loads of meaningless games. If you get more than two teams wrong when you pick the teams to go through from the group stage you are really unlucky, thats how predictable is is.

With more teams in it, there will be more games and again more predictable meaningless games.

If you want a European super league, you hold the recipy there I guess.

I dont, I dont really think you do either, or any fan for that matter.

32 clubs qualify for group stages of the CL.

48 clubs qualify for group stages of the EL and then get another 16 from the CL.

One CL of 64 teams would mean less games. 

I agree there could be some dead rubbers in the group stage (no different to as-is), which by making it group winners only, I would hope, put more pressure to win the group and win every game. 

Having the 2nd place team would increase the quality of the EL as well. 

I don’t want a European League, but sharing the wealth more in the above way, I feel would delay it. 

31 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

My suggestion will never happen, but it’s nowhere near as daft an idea as you’ve made out. Given how many of your ideas and thoughts are shot down on the GF, I’d have thought you of all people would be more tolerant of an out the box opinion. 

I think you should be allowed to express your opinion, but I don't think I've ever suggested anything as leftfield as Wigan in the Champions League. 

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t want a European League, but sharing the wealth more in the above way, I feel would delay it. 

Putting cup winners in it would certainly be a way of curtailing the wealth available. Even people in Wigan don't want to watch Wigan play. Ruining the world's most elite club competition won't make anyone richer.

9 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I think you should be allowed to express your opinion, but I don't think I've ever suggested anything as leftfield as Wigan in the Champions League. 

Putting cup winners in it would certainly be a way of curtailing the wealth available. Even people in Wigan don't want to watch Wigan play. Ruining the world's most elite club competition won't make anyone richer.

Maybe have the winners go through to the qualifiers as opposed to going directly into the CL? 

• Upvote 1