You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the FA Cup winers get the 4th Champions League spot?

Bjornebye

Should the FA Cup winers get the 4th Champions League spot?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should the FA Cup winers get the 4th Champions League spot?

If it benefits us then absolutely, if it’s to the detriment of us then fuck no.

That being said I would hope the battle for 4th is now behind us for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, niallers said:

All jokes aside, to get a champions league place for getting through 6 rounds of games, and not having to win any of them to progress would be scandalous. 

To get a Champions League place for finishing 4th - maybe 25-30 points off the top - is a disgrace.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

To get a Champions League place for finishing 4th - maybe 25-30 points off the top - is a disgrace.

We’d have never had that night in Istanbul If that was the case...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, niallers said:

All jokes aside, to get a champions league place for getting through 6 rounds of games, and not having to win any of them to progress would be scandalous. 

28 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

No

Look at City run to the final last year

Rotherham, Burnley, Newport County, Swansea, Brighton and Watford. 

I was on the yes side just because I wanted the FA cup to be worth more again, but I was wrong these are good points. 

I think the only thing that will give value to the domestic tournaments again will be reducing the number of places in the CL, but that will never happen, as it stands teams aren't arsed because they'd rather rest players to increase their chances of top 4/staying up/promotion. 

The champions league and Prem are worth way more to teams purely because of the money involved. With only 12 points between 3rd and 10th the top half are all with a decent shout at top 4.

Look at Leicester for example lost 3 and drew 1 in games directly after Cup ties, there's a strong argument for them being in the champions league next year if they fucked the cups off early. 

bottom half will be wanting to play it safe to avoid the drop, I don't think anyone in the bottom half can confidently say they won't be in a Relegation battle next season, ask Wigan what they reckon.

And then the championship teams all want the highest chance of going up, I imagine all of them would trade an FA cup for a stint in the Prem. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Or Kiev, or Madrid. We were some way behind city until fairly recently. 

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

True. It's still bollocks. Priority should go to teams who have won something. 

The fourth Champions League spot should go to 

a)  Champions of Europe, unless they're not English or they're one of the top three; then

b)  FA Cup winners, unless they're one of the top three; then

c)  Fourth in the league.

• Upvote 1

Definite no from me. And it wouldnt improve the FA Cup in my humble opinion. The FA have watered down the cup in recent years. Even today, kick off is 5.30pm?

The FA cup is more often than not won by a club in the top 4 so that isnt a good omen for arsenal, I guess.

Would teams play stronger first 11's in the cup? Certainly lower league sides wouldnt be tempted. They arent now and with all the PL sides fielding 'weakened' teams, if that doesnt encourage Championship clubs to go eyeballs out to win it, nothing will.

The bottom line is, if a team is going for promotion or fighting relegation, going up a league or just staying in the one they're in is more beneficial to them. I doubt the FA would put forward a championship club as the 4th qualified CL club if one managed to win the FA Cup. And besides, that club wouldnt have the resources to get out of the Group Stage while trying to gain promotion.

It's a romantic idea but in practice, the only clubs who'd be interesting in the idea are those PL clubs who finish in the EL places. All the clubs below would rather stay in the PL, that's why they field weakened sides in both domestic cups.

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Nah.

Expand please?

Thoughts are -

1) Gets rid of the existing Europa League nobody likes.

2) Makes the domestic cups more important / interesting.

3) There are 2 routes to go down with a 64 team CL 

a) Top clubs from 16 groups qualify for last 16, making the CL groups more interesting (of which the 16 2nd place sides could compete for the EL) or

b) Top 2 qualify from 16 groups and there is a round of 32. Maybe have the 3rd place teams qualify for EL.

To me, it makes sense of many levels. Increases competition & promotes domestic cups. The wealth is spread across clubs, enhancing quality throughout the leagues.

49 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Expand please?

Thoughts are -

a) Top clubs from 16 groups qualify for last 16, making the CL groups more interesting (of which the 16 2nd place sides could compete for the EL) or

b) Top 2 qualify from 16 groups and there is a round of 32. Maybe have the 3rd place teams qualify for EL.

To me, it makes sense of many levels. Increases competition & promotes domestic cups. The wealth is spread across clubs, enhancing quality throughout the leagues.

It would increase the chances of us being drawn against other English clubs, which I dislike. It would give more English teams the chance of winning the European Cup, which I wouldn’t want.

5 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

UEFA would never allow it anyway, but it's a barmy idea. Champions League places should be awarded on the basis of consistent excellence over the season, not fluking your way to a domestic cup final.

They’d have to win it. Which, since 1995 only Wigan & Portsmouth would be surprise winners. Even going as far back as 1988, it’d only include Everton & Wimbledon.

4 hours ago, Lee909 said:

No

Look at City run to the final last year

Rotherham, Burnley, Newport County, Swansea, Brighton and Watford. 

We’ve conquered all of Rotherham, we’re never gonna stop, from Burnley down to Newport County, we’ve won the fucking lot 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Expand please?

Thoughts are -

The prestige came from there being a limited number of European Cup spots, so teams were more likely to push for the FA and league Cup. 

Now it's all about the CL, and with 4 spots it's easier for teams to have a chance at making it in, so they are more likely to bin off the domestics. 

If you're having that many European spots then the FA cup is basically worthless, just a trophy for winning the first qualifying round and the typical top 6 are still going to play the rezzies until the semis.