You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament ... (Like the Sitcoms)

Bjornebye

This competition has made me realise how little I listen to guitar bands, I've only voted twice so far I think & one of those was for Muse to wind Stig up.

Something to talk about though other than transexuals & anti-semitism so hats off to him.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

This competition has made me realise how little I listen to guitar bands, I've only voted twice so far I think & one of those was for Muse to wind Stig up.

Something to talk about though other than transexuals & anti-semitism so hats off to him.

Why have you voted so few times? Do you not like the bands, or are you not familiar with their music?

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

how little I listen to guitar bands

Probably down to the genre's of the picks.

If say Soft Machine or Brand X or U.K. were included that might be different.

Wondered how McLaughlin could have been left out but looking back he was never in a British band proper.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Why have you voted so few times? Do you not like the bands, or are you not familiar with their music?

I know them all to a certain extent, just indifferent to the majority of them.

I'm not really having a pop at them either, it's just I tend to listen to older jazz, fusion & soul a lot more these days.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mook said:

Yes, likewise.

In a few of these threads I've looked at both bands and realised I'd never have any intention of listening to either of them.

Fair play to Stig for doing this though. Maybe we could have done a smaller comp for each decade and then had semi or quarter finals for the winner of each decade. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

British songwriters could be interesting, too.

What about rest of the world excluding the UK and the States? Combined bands and solo artists. They’d have to be artists that were big or rated highly over here though or no one will vote for them. No use putting in a French band who are big in France but unheard of over here. 

Few off the top of my head if anyone wants to add on. 

U2

Thin Lizzy

Rush
INXS

Rory Gallagher

Neil Young 
Van Morrison

Boomtown Rats
Leonard Cohen
AC/DC

Justin Bieber

The Band

Crowded House

Joni Mitchell

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

What about rest of the world excluding the UK and the States? Combined bands and solo artists. They’d have to be artists that were big or rated highly over here though or no one will vote for them. No use putting in a French band who are big in France but unheard of over here. 

U2

Thin Lizzy

Rush
INXS

Rory Gallagher

Neil Young 
Van Morrison

Boomtown Rats
Leonard Cohen
AC/DC

Justin Bieber

The Band

Crowded House

Joni Mitchell

Rammstein 

Kraftwerk

12 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

U2

Thin Lizzy

Rush
INXS

Rory Gallagher

Neil Young 
Van Morrison

Boomtown Rats
Leonard Cohen
AC/DC

Justin Bieber

The Band

Crowded House

Joni Mitchell

I think you’ve answered your own question as to why that’s not happening. You’d need to start at the semifinals 

14 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

U2

Thin Lizzy

Rush
INXS

Rory Gallagher

Neil Young 
Van Morrison

Boomtown Rats
Leonard Cohen
AC/DC

Justin Bieber

The Band

Crowded House

Joni Mitchell

Catch yourself on

5 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

I think you’ve answered your own question as to why that’s not happening. You’d need to start at the semifinals 

Nah, you can start at the semi finals for this one as well because you know what bands will get through as long as they don’t draw each other. 

Squeeze or The Police were never going to get far for example but it’s still a lively thread over them. 

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Nah, you can start at the semi finals for this one ad well because you know what bands will get through as long as they don’t draw each other. 

Squeeze or The Police were never going to get far for example but it’s still a lively thread over them. 

Good point although tbf I think you can start at the winner. I’ll be surprised and a bit disappointed if the Stones don’t walk this