You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

British Band Tournament ... (Like the Sitcoms)

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Not easy making a list like this but The Courteeners, The Vaccines and The Cribs have all got a lot more quality and quantity of tunes than a load of the bands mentioned in the list on page 12.  They all go under the radar generally for different reasons.

The Courteeners, The Vaccines and The Cribs shouldn’t be anywhere near a top 64 British bands of all time, especially when the like of Buzzcocks, Elvis Costello and the Attractions and Deep Purple, didn’t make the list.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

The Courteeners are fucking terrible. I can't understand how they are anywhere near the size they are. 

They’re genuinely not.  I was not remotely into them and caught them at Glastonbury in the John Peel tent one time About 10 years ago.  I thought they were brilliant despite not knowing a single song which is usually the sign of a good band.  I’ve listened to them since and been to see them live 4/5 times.  The first 3 albums are packed full of great songs.  Anyone who says they’re terrible clearly hasn’t listened to them or is making a judgement call on not nineteen forever or their recent stuff which is drab.  They’ve barely had any radio play either over the years.

Quite similar to the Maccabees who also aren’t on the list but are fantastic live as well as on their studio albums.

People get up the arse of bands like Pulp or Ocean Colour Scene and they’ve barely got 3 decent songs to rub together.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, The Guest said:

They’re genuinely not.  I was not remotely into them and caught them at Glastonbury in the John Peel tent one time About 10 years ago.  I thought they were brilliant despite not knowing a single song which is usually the sign of a good band.  I’ve listened to them since and been to see them live 4/5 times.  The first 3 albums are packed full of great songs.  Anyone who says they’re terrible clearly hasn’t listened to them or is making a judgement call on not nineteen forever or their recent stuff which is drab.  They’ve barely had any radio play either over the years.

Quite similar to the Maccabees who also aren’t on the list but are fantastic live as well as on their studio albums.

People get up the arse of bands like Pulp or Ocean Colour Scene and they’ve barely got 3 decent songs to rub together.

I've never seen anyone write so much shite about music. I've seen them live on the main stage at the Isle of Wight and they were shite. Pulp have barely 3 decent songs to rub together? You are chatting whallop. The Courteeners are garbage. 

I know its all about opinions but fucking hell. 

I make it these bands we are still waiting on for a matchup. 

Led Zeppelin

Queen

Depeche Mode

Dire Straits

Iron Maiden

Pet Shop Boys

The Who

Black Sabbath

Def Leppard
T-Rex

The Verve

Stereophonics

Manic Street Preachers

Sex Pistols

Kasabian

The Smiths

Motorhead

Cream

The Animals

Travis

Happy Mondays

The Coral

New Order

Primal Scream

The Fall

Dexys Midnight Runners 

The Pogues

Simple Minds

Tears For Fears

Deacon Blue

Madness

Coldplay

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I'd post the randomiser list mate but wouldn't most rather wait for the ties to appear rather than start discussing them earlier? 

Yeah just keep the draws quiet until you post the thread. Get more fume out of people that way and spread it out. 

Would it not be prudent after the first round proper to add the ones that really should be in there? Seeing bands like ELO, Deep Purple and Elvis Costello not in the competition seems a little odd. 

Make the first round like a qualifying round? 

16 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Would it not be prudent after the first round proper to add the ones that really should be in there? Seeing bands like ELO, Deep Purple and Elvis Costello not in the competition seems a little odd. 

Make the first round like a qualifying round? 

Think it's best to stick with the originals, there's already been some 'big name' bands going out due to the luck of the draw.

On 28/07/2020 at 19:26, Bjornebye said:

The Stone Roses

The Smiths

Yardbirds

The Small Faces

Motorhead

Muse

Biffy Clyro

Cream

The Animals

The The

The Damned (For Redderz) 

Echo and the Bunnymen

Slade

Need 19 more. 

On 29/07/2020 at 00:02, Bjornebye said:

The final 64. First round starts tomorrow. 

Led Zeppelin

Queen

Pink Floyd

Rolling Stones

Depeche Mode

Dire Straits

Genesis

Iron Maiden

Pet Shop Boys

The Who

Black Sabbath

Def Leppard

Oasis

The Police

T-Rex

Radiohead

The Clash 

The Jam

The Verve

Stereophonics

Manic Street Preachers

Sex Pistols

Blur

The Kinks

The Cure

Arctic Monkeys

Pulp

The Small Faces

The Libertines

Kasabian

The Stone Roses

The Smiths

Yardbirds

Motorhead

Muse

Biffy Clyro

Cream

The Animals

The The

Echo and the Bunnymen

The Damned (For Redderz) 

Roxy Music

Travis

Happy Mondays

Suede

The Lightning Seeds

The Coral 

Joy Division

New Order

Primal Scream

The Fall

Dexys Midnight Runners

Ocean Colour Scene 

The Pogues

Simple Minds

Tears For Fears

Duran Duran

Deacon Blue

10cc

Madness 

Squeeze

The Specials

Coldplay

The Human League

What happened to Slade?

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I've never seen anyone write so much shite about music. I've seen them live on the main stage at the Isle of Wight and they were shite. Pulp have barely 3 decent songs to rub together? You are chatting whallop. The Courteeners are garbage. 

I know its all about opinions but fucking hell. 

They’re really not honestly.  They seem like an easy one to abuse because they’re overtly manc and are no no for hipsters because of the “lad bantz” fans they attract.  As I said the first 3 albums are full of tunes.

What about the cribs and the Maccabees?  Fucking Travis are in there for fuck sake?

7 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The Guest is right. Courteeners have got some boss tunes. They’ve got business being in this tournament but he’s making a valid point. 

Loads better than some of the other shit Damo’s posted on here like that Cinnamon divvy and Blossoms. 

They are shite.