You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jul 21-27 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg.c1fbcaffb0090e7b2d3f5068e60210dc.jpg

Tuesday Jul 21:

This trophy lift is gonna be shit. The lightshow and the pyro is a necessary evil as they’re just over-compensating for no fans being there. I get that, as you need to do something to cover up for the fact there’s no atmosphere and it’s all a massive damp squib compared to what it should be. But Coldplay? Getthefuckouttahere.

I’m not thrilled about Kanye West either but if that’s what the players want then fine, they’ve earned the right to choose whatever they like and I’m good with it. Coldplay though? No-one is choosing that, except maybe Hendo. I could see him having lots of Coldplay on his play list and that’s fine because it’s Hendo. Anyone else and I’d be disappointed in them though.

There’s a thing on the BBC website where you can pick your greatest ever LFC XI. I always struggle with these things, mainly because I overthink it. What formation are you meant to choose, because that has a huge bearing on which players you select. If it’s two up front then you’ll go Kenny and Rushy, but if it’s a three that changes things completely. What about the midfield? Wingers or a narrow three? 

There’s also the grey area between ‘greatest’ and ‘best’. For example, Luis Suarez walks into a ‘best’ selection for me but he’s nowhere near a ‘greatest’ one. Similarly, Alisson is undoubtedly ‘best’ but he isn’t yet ‘greatest’.

So, for what it’s worth, here’s my ‘greatest’ eleven…

greatest.jpeg

Emlyn Hughes was probably the unluckiest not to get in considering everything he achieved (Tommy Smith would also be a strong contender). It came down to Emlyn or Carra but recency bias comes into it, plus the fact Carragher is second on the all time appearance list and that in itself is justification enough for selection. Same with Callaghan who gets in on appearances as well as being a great player and all round fucking legendary fella. There may have been greater players than him but no-one played more games for the two greatest managers ever so how could he not go in?

As for the ‘best’ eleven….

best.jpg

This one is much more difficult I think, as medals and longevity don’t really come into it. It’s just about the best players. Right back was the toughest call. I actually think Trent will end up as the best we’ve had by a massive distance but I won’t argue too much with anyone who says that right now Nicol was better, so it’s a toss up there. 

There’s loads of other truly great players who didn’t get in too. Fowler, Owen, Alonso, Mascherano, Molby, Whelan, Carragher, Hyypia, Mané, Salah and loads of others. I could have put some of them in depending on what formation I went with. Plus, the team you pick as the ‘best’ isn’t necessarily the one you’d choose if you needed to win a game. I’d back our current eleven to win a game against any combination of great players from the past because they are a slick unit and not just a load of randomly chosen talented individuals.

That’s why these things are so hard, because they are so arbitrary and there are all manner of different formations to choose from and each one opens up different options in terms of players. Yeah I know, I’m way overthinking this but I can’t just throw a load of names at it and say ‘that’s the best’. It requires more thought than that. 

One thing I would say is that our best eleven would smash the best eleven of anyone else other than maybe United. No-one else comes close.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

From what I saw on twitter the last several days the next one in line now Lovren has gone might be Gini.

I rarely ever read comments on twitter, especially football related posts, but for some reason I did a few times lately and it seems every time he posts anything (including a photo of a note left for him by staff on a KLM flight of all things) the first comment is along the lines of “good, now leave”.

fucking morons

• Upvote 1

Great round up as per usual.

Thought it was just me who loved the Gary episode on OFAH.  We go past Bramley Moore Dock every week and there is a hot food stall over the road called Garys, and I do the ' Gareee' every time and my wife fucking hates it and us threatening to find a new route to Costco.

• Upvote 3

I dont understand how people can pick Suarez ahead of Salah. I would personally pick Salah ahead of Suarez any day of the week.

Salah has had a better season than Suarez best season, and if we look at their three full seasons its even more obvious.

Salah helped us win both the CL and the PL, and he did not bite someone to get himself suspended for several games either.

Salah: 73 PL goals - 28 PL assists

Suarez: 65 PL goals - 20 PL assists

8202D786-F066-4C5F-808C-4E4134244ED3.jpeg

85ADF925-2072-433F-90EE-C67D9D264DD0.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Loved that report - loads of laugh out bits.

ill be front of the line for the posse if there’s any Milner abuse going - hands down our best free transfer signing ever. Up until recently I’d always have gone with Gary Mac but Milner has been brilliant since he arrived and now has a medal collection to top it off. 

• Upvote 2

Agree on Robbo, he’s been so good since he got into the team. He looks like a nice lad, and he’s Scottish.

Didn’t Steve Nicol won the PW award as left Back, or did he play midfield that year ?

With regards to the all time XI, it has to be 4-4-2 which is the best fit for Barnes, Dalglish and Rush. 

• Upvote 2

Fat Frank can fuck off having a pop at Lijnders. Here's a guy who's had to earn his coaching credentials and reputation the hard way, with no profile, no background, no sponsorship - and now he's a vital part of a top-notch coaching staff at the league champions. He's earned his place.

Frank Lampard? Got parachuted into a nice job at Derby after he retired, and a load of PL-standard loanees from his old club's massive fucking stable of footballers. He can't get them promoted in the play-offs (his successor has finished just a few points back without the Chelsea support) but then is rewarded for this nondescript performance with a top 6 job because of his link to the club. Same performance as the hated Sarri last season, but is lavished with praise because he's done the best he can working with such a piss-poor squad, and is subsequently rewarded for this nondescript performance with Ziyech, Havertz, Werner and probably fucking Oblak as well.

He's the prick who's had everything spoon-fed to him on a plate, so he can fuck off calling coaching staff who've achieved ten times what he has with 1% of the patronage. Fucking moon faced cunt.

• Upvote 9

Frank Lampard thinks there is a Code in football to which you can only say, well, you know...

Seriously, plenty of sports have an unwritten code of conduct. You call a foul on yourself in snooker and golf, you don't celebrappeal in cricket, you don't pile on the score in American football, you don't bat-flip after a home run in baseball. But football? The sport where diving is endemic and attitudes towards diving depend entirely on whether your team did it? Who does he think he's kidding?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

From what I saw on twitter the last several days the next one in line now Lovren has gone might be Gini.

I rarely ever read comments on twitter, especially football related posts, but for some reason I did a few times lately and it seems every time he posts anything (including a photo of a note left for him by staff on a KLM flight of all things) the first comment is along the lines of “good, now leave”.

fucking morons

Hope they all die, the fucking shithouses.

2 hours ago, Code said:

I dont understand how people can pick Suarez ahead of Salah. I would personally pick Salah ahead of Suarez any day of the week.

Salah has had a better season than Suarez best season, and if we look at their three full seasons its even more obvious.

Salah helped us win both the CL and the PL, and he did not bite someone to get himself suspended for several games either.

Salah: 73 PL goals - 28 PL assists

Suarez: 65 PL goals - 20 PL assists

8202D786-F066-4C5F-808C-4E4134244ED3.jpeg

85ADF925-2072-433F-90EE-C67D9D264DD0.jpeg

Picked him because he's a miles better player. Simple really.

• Upvote 4

Great read. I also didn’t notice any Coldplay at the trophy presentations, good result for me!

I’m coming down on the side of Lampard being a bad bell though.

Oh and loving your mum and her Lallana quote! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Picked him because he's a miles better player. Simple really.

Better at what? Its obviously not creating chances for others or scoring goals. He’s better at getting suspended though, Ill give him that.

No one defended Suarez more than me when he was here, but Salah is a superior player. He also makes the other players around him better.

Apart from this obvious mistake, I agree with everything else.

13 hours ago, Code said:

Better at what? Its obviously not creating chances for others or scoring goals. He’s better at getting suspended though, Ill give him that.

No one defended Suarez more than me when he was here, but Salah is a superior player. He also makes the other players around him better.

Apart from this obvious mistake, I agree with everything else.

Salah is great. Put him in the category with Owen, Fowler, Torres, Sadio and the rest of the brilliant forwards we've had.

Suarez is miles better. He's the best player I've seen play for us.

I'm not going to waste time arguing the point as I'm not strolling down 'Loris Karius Boulevard' with you again, Frode!

• Upvote 2

"Disrespectful, classless bald, platform heel wearing, short arse, CAS appealing nonce. Fucking hate him and his cunt club".

Now that is, erm, let me think, very good, very good (can't think of anything else) abuse Dave. Very high marks.

Very enjoyable end of season 'Week that was'

Lenny really is forensic, isn't he? That's Lenny Kravitz, as I've always called the one known as Klopp's 'Eye', ever since he arrived with Jurgen, along with the now departed 'Brain' Micky Flanagan. That's probably the only time the name Micky Flanagan has ever been in such close proximity to the word brain, but I digress. It doesn't surprise me at all that he would go through every game with a fine tooth comb to pick up stuff that they can take and improve on for next season.

It's generally acknowledged that Lampard is 'a nice guy' but see what happens when his cage is rattled and his true colours come to the fore. Much like 'Woy' is generally considered as a nice guy. But he also showed his nasty side on more than a few occasions, when faced with some tough but entirely legitimate questions. They're all nice and fwiendly when things are going their way, but see what they're really like when they get it up 'em. Fuck them both.

12 hours ago, dave u said:

Salah is great. Put him in the category with Owen, Fowler, Torres, Sadio and the rest of the brilliant forwards we've had.

Suarez is miles better. He's the best player I've seen play for us.

I'm not going to waste time arguing the point as I'm not strolling down 'Loris Karius Boulevard' with you again, Frode!

Haha imagine if Salah had Gerrard and Coutinho behind him a full season. Between 40-50 league goals would be possible.

Watching a British history documentary from Sky , and it has intersections from random experts and celebrities

( Jeremy Irons, Michael Portillo , Mickey Flanagan etc ). The latest one covered Nelson's tactics at Trafalgar , and who should turn up masturbating over English exceptionalism and how when we put our mind to it we are the best in the world at everything, but a much younger, chubbier Frank Lampard.

• dave u unpinned this topic