You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle 1 Liverpool 3 (Jul 26 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

What a nice way to finish. You have to give this team massive credit for being able to dominate a potentially tricky game like this when there was nothing really at stake. 

I’m not saying it was a vintage performance by any means but they completely strangled the life out of Newcastle. Apart from their goal did they even get near our box? I don’t actually remember Alisson having to do anything. Just complete and utter dominance of the ball and the only thing that saved the Geordies from a cricket score was Klopp’s initial team selection.

With the front three all left on the bench it was always going to be difficult for us in the final third. We know how big the drop off is to the replacements so what we saw in the first half was hardly surprising. It was also completely understandable as I don’t think those three have ever played together before, have they? Maybe in the cup.

The task was made a lot tougher by the way we were caught napping in the first minute and fell behind. Schoolboy stuff that.

That’s the last thing you need against a team that only wants to sit in and frustrate. You give them a led to protect and it could be a long day. For a while it looked like it would be but by the end Newcastle were probably relieved to have only lost 3-1.

The opening goal was just daft and I just can’t ever envisage that happening if there was something riding on the game. It goes back to what I’ve been saying ever since the title was won. There’s no lack of effort, *Brendan Rodgers voice* they've just lost that wee bit of focus.

That goal was a perfect example of it. Van Dijk commits a sloppy foul and then throws the ball back towards the direction of where the free-kick would be taken. He didn’t throw it straight to Shelvey though because he wanted to get back into position.

Gini catches the ball, which he shouldn’t have done. Then he gives it straight to Shelvey, which again, he just shouldn’t be doing. Let them get the ball themselves. Don’t be helping them catch us flat footed. You’re not a fucking ballboy, Gini! 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

The dropped points against Burnley actually frustrated me far more than the Arsenal loss. We could easily have been about 5 or 6 goals up before they equalised, and then there was the non-penalty when their defender just completely wiped Robertson out near the end.

But nice to finish with 2 more wins and the performances in both games were decent. I missed the first couple of minutes so didn't see the Newcastle goal, but agree that I can't remember them even having a shot on goal in the rest of the game. They stayed up comfortably enough and Steve Bruce has done a decent job with what he's had to work with, but from what I've seen of them this season they've looked like possibly the most tedious team in the whole league. You could make a case that if they'd tried to play more expansively against a team like Liverpool that they'd have risked a hammering, but they haven't seemed much more adventurous even when I've seen them play other midtable teams or sides battling relegation. It must have been a real chore for their supporters to watch them week in week out.

• Upvote 1

I really get the thing about obsessively wanting to win more points than last season. I think it's in part so nobody could say Liverpool just stayed the same while City got worse/had an off season. Of course, we also scored more points than City did last season too, which feels somehow important. They may have scored more the season before that, but we weren't directly competing with them then. We have been this past two seasons, and we've been the high watermark in that period. Petty, yes. Unimportant when set against the overall goals and achievements now ticked off, yes. But, you want to win all these little head-to-heads and small points when you're battling neck and neck with another great side, and we've done that too.

• Upvote 1

And, the only asterisk which should be placed against this season/our name, is the asterisk that everyone knows it would have been an even better points haul with more records broken without the long break for Covid.

Like asking someone to stop an Olympic event halfway round, wait 3 months then set off again. 

• Upvote 1

I think they did use the lines to assess the Newcastle goal but the camera angle was far from ideal which, perhaps, makes drawing the lines difficult.

Fantastic season. But the Burnley result pisses me off; 19 home wins would have been sooo special and derailed by a bunch of alehousers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barnesey said:

I think they did use the lines to assess the Newcastle goal but the camera angle was far from ideal which, perhaps, makes drawing the lines difficult.

Fantastic season. But the Burnley result pisses me off; 19 home wins would have been sooo special and derailed by a bunch of alehousers.

That's the only one that pisses me off , not arsed about points.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic