You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Working in an office

Sugar Ape

Just now, Vincent Vega said:

I worked for a large well known company from 2004, but we were TUPE’ed to an outsourcer about 7 years ago, and ever since we’ve had below inflation pay rises (we would have had fuck all without the bargaining power of our union), and our contractual performance bonuses have been decimated. It doesn’t need a pandemic for plenty of businesses out there to take the piss. 

I don't dispute that at all. But this pandemic will be an accelerator

11 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I don't dispute that at all. But this pandemic will be an accelerator

I’m sure you’re right mate, all done under the guise of you’re lucky to have a job. You’ve only got to look at both BA and Centrica trying it on with saying they want to lay off their staff and then reemploy them on inferior terms. Using the pandemic as an excuse when it’s something they’ve been desperate to do for years. And we have a system and a government that actively approves of such shenanigans.

• Upvote 3

Our place did a survey and I think only 5% of staff or something didn’t want any home working and the majority wanted to work at home 4-5 days a week.

As a result I think they’re looking at making the office more of a hub that people can go into for meetings and to catch up now and then. 

• Upvote 1

On 23/08/2020 at 00:47, Vincent Vega said:

I’m sure you’re right mate, all done under the guise of you’re lucky to have a job. You’ve only got to look at both BA and Centrica trying it on with saying they want to lay off their staff and then reemploy them on inferior terms. Using the pandemic as an excuse when it’s something they’ve been desperate to do for years. And we have a system and a government that actively approves of such shenanigans.

C'mon now, less of the scaremongering. I'm sure our patriotic, Rule Britannia government would no more allow jobs to be lost or sent abroad from this Land of Hope and Glory than they would allow foreigns to buy our utilities, infrastructure and big chunks of our housing stock.

7 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Our place did a survey and I think only 5% of staff or something didn’t want any home working and the majority wanted to work at home 4-5 days a week.

As a result I think they’re looking at making the office more of a hub that people can go into for meetings and to catch up now and then. 

I'll believe that when I see it. We're back to 5 days a week next week, all in the office.

26 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'll believe that when I see it. We're back to 5 days a week next week, all in the office.

I think it’ll definitely happen eventually. Not sure how they’ll implement it or how often they will say you have to come in, but I think you’ll be able to work from home at least some of the time. 

The problem now is individual managers can decide what they want to do, and some of them just want all their staff back in. If it gets mandated from on high I think that will change. 

I’m still working from home with no end date so far, though I don’t know how long that will last. I’ve been chocker with the amount of work I’ve got lately though. 

4 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I was down the Pier Head/Old Hall Street/Water Street yesterday about 5pm and it was fucking rammed. I've actually never seen it so busy! 

With workers or sightseers/people out for a bevy and food? I had to go to the Capital building on Old Hall St at lunchtime on Monday to get my laptop fixed and I was quite surprised at how dead it was. It’s normally chocker there and it was just empty. 

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

With workers or sightseers/people out for a bevy and food? I had to go to the Capital building on Old Hall St at lunchtime on Monday to get my laptop fixed and I was quite surprised at how dead it was. It’s normally chocker there and it was just empty. 

Cars. Millions of them. It was very stressful I was looking for somewhere to park and there weren't spaces anywhere! 

8 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Cars. Millions of them. It was very stressful I was looking for somewhere to park and there weren't spaces anywhere! 

Yeah it was quite busy driving into town on Monday but the streets were near deserted with no people about. Fuck knows where they were all driving to. 

I’m back in the office two days a week, which is half the week because I work a condensed 4 day week.

I have brought half my team back a day a week, the other half can’t come back yet due to health or other commitments. 

It’s been a pain to sort a rota and seating plan. Proper ballache as every twat has ideas about who and when and where. 

We didn’t need to do it, but there was a certain amount of pressure to get people back due to the employer and it’s role within a modest sized town.

I was glad to get back, to a degree,  for lots of reasons, but mostly so I’m not constantly available for fucking zoom meetings. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, johnsusername said:

I was down the Pier Head/Old Hall Street/Water Street yesterday about 5pm and it was fucking rammed. I've actually never seen it so busy! 

I'd expect it to be busier than normal at 5pm.

I drove out of an underground car park onto OHS on Tuesday to the junction of Water and Tithebarn at about 5:30 and it was pretty much deserted. 

Trying to drive home yesterday along grove Street towards Erskine Stret at 4:30PM and it was just like pre lockdown. Fucking gridlocked.

57 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I'd expect it to be busier than normal at 5pm.

I drove out of an underground car park onto OHS on Tuesday to the junction of Water and Tithebarn at about 5:30 and it was pretty much deserted. 

Trying to drive home yesterday along grove Street towards Erskine Stret at 4:30PM and it was just like pre lockdown. Fucking gridlocked.

I was speaking to a couple of Highways people over the last week, from separate counties in the south east. 

The localised traffic is back at pre-lockdown levels. I.e all those small trips done by lazy arses, less than a mile are back where they were.

The commuting traffic while having picked up is still somewhat off the peak.

Bascially and as usual we have learned fuck all from all this, and continue to abuse the car and forego exercise for journeys where we could easily change to sustainable means. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

I was speaking to a couple of Highways people over the last week, from separate counties in the south east. 

The localised traffic is back at pre-lockdown levels. I.e all those small trips done by lazy arses, less than a mile are back where they were.

The commuting traffic while having picked up is still somewhat off the peak.

Bascially and as usual we have learned fuck all from all this, and continue to abuse the car and forego exercise for journeys where we could easily change to sustainable means. 

To be fair it was absolutely pissing down - anyone outside was running for cover. 

I've been back in London for a couple of days again. It's certainly been busier in the city and Shoreditch as it was. It's by no means back to normal, but it's not the ghost town of a month ago. I think after next week once the kids are back there'll be another step towards how it used to be. 

On the down side I met one of my suppliers today, he was talking about they furloughed a bunch of their staff through lockdown and have realised how little they do. So he's talking of slimming down his workforce as they've realised how much they can do with less people. 

28 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Fucking pensioners. They want the supermarkets, buses and the post officers to themselves. 

The 18-24 one is interesting though - if I was that age I'd want back in the office, that's the age I did most of my drinking, womanising and general carousing. 

TerribleBadChuckwalla-small.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Still seeing nobody come up with the solution to the millions that would lose their jobs if offices shut.

And thats before they moved all the office workers jobs abroad

I think I’m right in saying you work as security in an office building? So it’s understandable you are worried about any potential changes. However, businesses aren’t going to keep offices they don’t need just so they can keep other people like facility and security staff employed and businesses local to their offices like coffee shops and dry cleaners or whatever. 

Some are going to shut and some will just downsize and others will stay as they were. Other businesses that rely on them are going to have to adapt and change their business plan. They work for the customer, the customer doesn’t work for them. 

With regards to all the jobs going abroad I just don’t buy it for one minute. A hard brexit is a bigger threat to those jobs than a move to home working in my view. Though I’m sure the Tory press would be delighted to paint any job losses due to hard Brexit as being due to home working. 

The other thing is, if your company wanted to save money and all their staff worked in an office then they would just open an office abroad and staff it there at a fraction of the cost. It makes absolutely no sense to me that they’re happy to pay for office rents and staff in the UK but because the staff can work at home they’ll then suddenly offload all the jobs abroad. Like I said, they’d just move the whole office abroad if they wanted to do that. 

• Upvote 1

Its not just me, it is litterally millions that will be affected by this

Looks at the transport industry, what happens with the likes of London Transport, it will end up decimated if London offices stop being occupied just so office workers can work from home. In small towns it will be the same,bus and train companies will not run unprofitable routes and in some out of the way places that will mean next to no transport for anyone. Its all well and good saying it works on a need basis but what happens when the millions that work in the support areas are out of work?

And of course theyll move office jobs, when there is fuck all left for them to save money on it will be the office workers job on the line. Why would they pay you 25-30k a year to do a admin job from your home when they can pay a Indian/Chinese worker half that. If its being done from home then the lower paid office jobs will be moved, why wouldn't they. 

There are far too many people employed in the various jobs that are kept going by people going to work for it just to shut down. 

This idea that everyone has to adapt to suit office workers not wanting to travel to work is nonsense and from what i have read some people saying and not just on here is just full on 'im alright,its good for me so fuck you" 

things will change long term but its going to be a fucking mess of the have and have nots and there is going to be fucking millions left on a scrap heap with the retirement age going up and clogging up jobs for younger people to get on the ladder, more automatisation of jobs and more jobs getting moved abroad so companies can save on employment cost.

Anyone thinking that will get paid the same to work less is fucking nuts as when have company bosses done anthing that won't save them money to give to shareholders

• Upvote 1