You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Working in an office

Sugar Ape

19 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I don’t even know what’s real and what’s satire anymore. 

7B998F39-D144-4477-9876-77BF919D5546.jpeg

Jesus. That and the office one are everything I used to hate about commuting, it's like a warning rather than an enticement. 

It kind of reminds me of those dickheads who rebranded their consultancy firm as 'Monday', along with the slogan- "Sharpen your pencil, iron your crispy white shirts, set the alarm clock, relish the challenge, listen, be fulfilled, make an impact, take a risk." As expected, it just reminded everyone of the usual hell of having to go to work after a weekend, so they scrapped it within months after spending over a hundred million - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2035803.stm and https://www.theregister.com/2002/07/31/ibm_kills_monday/

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

So are people here still working from home? I am and on the whole I prefer it but I haven’t heard anything from my manager for about 6 weeks now! Last time I spoke to her she said it would be September at the earliest until we came back. We have a small amount of people in the office every day. In some teams we have one person in each day. In my team there are 4 of us and 3 of us are at home all the time and the same one person goes in every day. Every 2 weeks I get emailed a rota from a supervisor and we’re now up to 2nd October and no change for me!

I spoke to a woman from work the other day (she’s a bit of a twat though) and she reckons it will not be til after Christmas now before we go back but I don’t know if she’s just talking bollocks!

• Upvote 1

Yeah still mostly from home. I was in on Tuesday - there were three of us in and it was terrible. 8 hours with occasional chat, doing work I could have done from home. And I had to grind through the roadworks on the Strand to get there which was horrendous. 

I think we'd earmarked September as some kind of phased return but that must have been kiboshed. Now the talk has gone back to "agile working" - basically, get the work done it doesn't matter where. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I would imagine that with all the talk of second waves and national lockdowns, there won't be any plans  to reverse home working plans for you in the short term, Suzy.

To be honest as I walk 35 mins to get there and start at 8am I’d rather I didn’t start back now when it is dark when I leave home.

13 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah still mostly from home. I was in on Tuesday - there were three of us in and it was terrible. 8 hours with occasional chat, doing work I could have done from home. And I had to grind through the roadworks on the Strand to get there which was horrendous. 

I think we'd earmarked September as some kind of phased return but that must have been kiboshed. Now the talk has gone back to "agile working" - basically, get the work done it doesn't matter where. 

This lady who is a bit of a bullshitter ( she’s not the manager just the same grade as me ) reckoned we might come in one day a week which would be ok with me, but rather be at home with colder weather coming in.

Just now, suzy said:

This lady who is a bit of a bullshitter reckoned we might come in one day a week which would be ok with me, but rather be at home with colder weather coming in.

Definitely.

Oh - and the three of us who were in the office - me and another lad were sat next to each other. We have to sit at our desks we're not allowed to sit elsewhere. The health and safety manager said it would be okay as our back would be turned at each other. Yeah, right!! 

9 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Definitely.

Oh - and the three of us who were in the office - me and another lad were sat next to each other. We have to sit at our desks we're not allowed to sit elsewhere. The health and safety manager said it would be okay as our back would be turned at each other. Yeah, right!! 

It’s a joke! I had to pop into the office to collect a cable about a month after I was last there, it’s a very big office and there was mostly 1 person on each row of 4/5 desks so they are trying.

Went back to the office two weeks ago.

On a two week rotation, with the company essentially split in half. 

I’m doing 4 weeks initially as I’ve got a lot of project work to get on with which is harder with a seven month baby at home and found it ok so far. Enforced social distancing and hand sanitizers for days. 

Back in for the second two weeks Monday then working at home for two weeks. Then back in again after that for another two weeks. 

Our company is good though, we’re allowed to stay at home on any day if we want to.

No pressure to come into the office at any time even if it’s your two week rotation to work there as we’ve always had the infrastructure to work remotely anyway.

How it should be really so I guess I’m quite lucky, despite being furloughed for two months a while back. 

• Upvote 1

I wont be going back to the campuses/my offices until February I reckon. It's continuing to be online delivery until at the very least the end of this term. I can go in if I want but I don't want to. I'm much happier working from home than catching the train into the city. I get the added benefit of taking the dog for a walk when I need a break in the day

• 3 weeks later...

Having to go to the office during this pandemic is honestly ruining my life. Wearing a mask all day, avoiding people, constantly having to be careful, in addition to work tasks when the business is struggling is draining me physically and mentally like nothing else. At my place, people are either on edge or infuriatingly care free. It's absolute shit. Can't imagine school teachers and jobs like that. 

I did a thing for a Client last Monday. First time I’ve been in an office environment since mid March.

As a self employed person I’ve been lucky enough to pick up a few online bits and pieces but, essentially, my income has been a fraction of what it was so I really needed this work and the days it will lead to between now and the end of the year. No furlough, cheap loans etc. have been available to me. 

My mental health at the moment isn’t the best but, despite inner turmoil, I managed to pretend to be a completely different person for the duration. I really feel for those suffering similar who have to do this every day. I’m not so bad that I can’t get through it, but there are consequences. 

This particular Client fits into the ‘key worker’ category so have been mostly running at full capacity for the duration. It’s fair to say that this has led to a slightly blasé approach to social distancing. I had fifteen senior managers in a room that would have been a squeeze in ‘normal times’. Somebody did observe that if one of them showed some of the symptoms in the next few days then, virtually, their whole management team would need to self isolate. Didn’t stop us ‘cracking on’ though. I’d have liked to have said ‘not on your irresponsible nellies’ but I can’t afford to lose this Client so just added a portion of guilt and self loathing to my day rate. 

I'm expected back there for four days later this month. My absolute need for this income trumps my reservations about going anywhere near the place. Again, I really feel for those who are faced with these circumstances every day. 

Lastly, track and trace. I’ll use my own circumstances as an example but I’m sure it applies to many others. Should I use the system as I’m meant to and be contacted in the run up to my days, later in the month, then I’d be expected to isolate and therefore give up this income with very little compensation. There’s a pretty good chance I’d also lose future income with this Client. At the moment, I think I’d still do the ‘right thing’ but there must be loads out there who manipulate/ignore the system because they simply can’t afford to risk losing work. We’re driving people to choose between protecting public health or feeding their families. Maybe that’s a bit extreme but surely that cannot be right!

• Upvote 3

Since I jacked the pub in I had a couple of offers to go back to an office environment. I'm supposed to be launching an online real ale business but it's been getting on top of me a bit. The minefield of licensing, premises, cost reduction. I've fucked it all off til next year, decided well against an office return and I'm currently on my way to Birmingham to collect my van. Start delivering for Amazon tomorrow. Self employed, pick and choose my hours and the money is decent. Fuck da office. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Since I jacked the pub in I had a couple of offers to go back to an office environment. I'm supposed to be launching an online real ale business but it's been getting on top of me a bit. The minefield of licensing, premises, cost reduction. I've fucked it all off til next year, decided well against an office return and I'm currently on my way to Birmingham to collect my van. Start delivering for Amazon tomorrow. Self employed, pick and choose my hours and the money is decent. Fuck da office. 

Good luck mate. If you get that right you'll make an absolute fortune.