You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Working in an office

Sugar Ape

The thing that irritates me about firms starting to push for people to come back to office is that we still have no non essential shops open - indoor hospitality isn't opening until at least mid May at earliest....so you can't sit in a restaurant or a cafe or a pub etc....but you can crowd onto chocker buses, trains, trams and tubes etc to get to an office to do a job you can do just as well at home.

There should IMO be no people going into workplaces who can effectively work from home until all the rest of society is opened up first.

• Upvote 2

Going into the same office day in day out must be dreadful, in close proximity with others you might find irritating to say the least. Looking at screens all day. 

I've always worked in construction, different sites and towns for the most part, and sometimes I've thought how I'd wish to work in an office especially when it's freezing etc but then when it's hot no thanks, but saying that, the shit you have to wear these days, PPI and all that does make it uncomfortable. 

Plus there's a certain amount of freedom especially in scaffolding. There's the plant pots too but at least you can avoid them to a certain extent on the outside. 

The office speak would do my head in too, like when you work for an agency say, and you have to go into the office, how you doing, good good and all that. 

The downside of working outside is the wear and tear on your body in later life like arthritis amongst other ghastly complaints. I suppose working in an office has its own downsides though. 

On the whole I'd rather have a few bob and do fuck all. 

I’m self employed which, particularly financially, can be a challenge at times. However, while there’s any possibility that a full time employment position might lead to having to spend time in an office I’ll be remaining my own boss. I still have to frequent the places on occasion now, but the knowledge that it’s an ‘in, do whatever, out’ situation makes it tolerable. 

I’ve worked in many offices down the years. Some a bit shit, some with all the mod cons that supposedly drive employee engagement. Whatever shape they’re in, in my experience, it’s not the offices themselves that make them hell holes, it’s the people that ‘want’ to work in them, particularly when they don’t have to.

They assume their penchants for; team building, novelty items on desks, signs asking everyone to clean up in the kitchen, unnecessary meetings, office gossip and ‘catch ups’ are shared by everyone. In their selfish desire to have their needs met, they fail to notice those around them who are dying a death by a thousand cuts. These are the people who are slowly but surely going to force others back in the office. They need to be stopped, before it’s too late. 

• Upvote 2

I miss the commute and some fresh air more than I miss the actual office. I still speak with my workmates all day but now its pointless zoom meetings and a whats-app group that doesn't shut up. Ideally I'd do 2/3 days in the office a week but agree with points above, rushing to have packed offices when its unnecessary at least for the rest of the year is pretty pointless/dangerous. 

My job role is changing soon to dealing with online jobseeker's claims (the whole online claims applications in Ireland went from something like 5% pre covid to 40% and climbing during Covid and lockdown, so the department had to get up to speed quickly and move staff over to this) so I'll be able to work from home for the foreseeable future. I have an option to work from the office one day a week or fortnight so I'll probably do one day a fortnight. 

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure I'm turning into a weirdo due to working at home on my bill. 

Went to Sainsbury's last week for a walk and bought some choc ices, on the way home I was fully intending to hand some out to strangers but didn't encounter anyone. 

Today I had to go the walk in, even as I was leaving I wouldn't stop yapping and you could see the nurse thinking 'wish he'd fuck off, I'm busy'. Then headed to the pharmacy and handed my prescription in to a woman, then another woman came out and said 'are you being served?' but all I could think of was 'wow, I can't believe they can fit two members of staff back there - it seems really small', but while I was thinking this I was staring into space, past her shoulder, for about 20 seconds. You could see her thinking 'what the fuck?' I said I was being served thanks (eventually) and she just kind of looked at another customer as if to say 'holy shit'. 

I warned you young people  this working from home business is some bad shit. 

• Upvote 1

I had a weird experience at work today.  Went into the office expecting to be the only one there, got there and there was someone else there. She was a new starter who joined a week before lockdown so I’d never met her before.   She made me get dressed too.

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I had a weird experience at work today.  Went into the office expecting to be the only one there, got there and there was someone else there. She was a new starter who joined a week before lockdown so I’d never met her before.   She made me get dressed too.

"How you finding it here so far?"

YNHSBxe.gif

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Pretty sure I'm turning into a weirdo due to working at home on my bill. 

Went to Sainsbury's last week for a walk and bought some choc ices, on the way home I was fully intending to hand some out to strangers but didn't encounter anyone. 

Today I had to go the walk in, even as I was leaving I wouldn't stop yapping and you could see the nurse thinking 'wish he'd fuck off, I'm busy'. Then headed to the pharmacy and handed my prescription in to a woman, then another woman came out and said 'are you being served?' but all I could think of was 'wow, I can't believe they can fit two members of staff back there - it seems really small', but while I was thinking this I was staring into space, past her shoulder, for about 20 seconds. You could see her thinking 'what the fuck?' I said I was being served thanks (eventually) and she just kind of looked at another customer as if to say 'holy shit'. 

I warned you young people  this working from home business is some bad shit. 

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

You wanted to hand out choc ices to strangers!

Even Jeffrey Dahmer would find that weird. 

Got to agree with this. It sounds less like the problem is working from home and more that we’re going to be referring to you as the choc ice slasher in the future. 

I’m loving working from home and I’ll never be going back to the office full time. Mental health is the best it’s been for over a decade, never been healthier and have the time to go for 6-8k walks every day in the nature reserve round the corner from my house (I appreciate that also sounds Ted Bundy-esque) and I’m saving at least £200 a month not being in the office. 

I’m happy with my own company though. I’d much rather be sitting on my own listening to podcasts and music than sat with a bunch of middle aged blerts chatting shit about Love Island and the Royal Family. 

• Upvote 1

I read an article the other week and can’t find it now, think it was just a link I seen on Twitter. Anyway, it was from some journalist who had access to the staff survey results from two or three medium sized US firms who had moved to remote working. 

All these firms gave staff the choice whether to go in the office full time, work from home full time or do a hybrid model. Before the scheme came in the staff surveys indicated circa 30% of staff wanted to work in the office full time. 

When they checked back after three months only about 5-10% of staff had been going into the office full time so they contacted the 30% who said they’d be going in full time and asked them what had changed. 

Turns out they meant they wanted everyone to go back in the office full time not just themselves, mainly for the social aspect, and when they were coming in and the offices were mostly empty they stopped going in as well. 

Anecdotally that chimes with a lot of the people I know who say they want to go back the office. They also want everyone else going back in and if/when that doesn’t happen I wonder how many will persist in going in themselves. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I read an article the other week and can’t find it now, think it was just a link I seen on Twitter. Anyway, it was from some journalist who had access to the staff survey results from two or three medium sized US firms who had moved to remote working. 

All these firms gave staff the choice whether to go in the office full time, work from home full time or do a hybrid model. Before the scheme came in the staff surveys indicated circa 30% of staff wanted to work in the office full time. 

When they checked back after three months only about 5-10% of staff had been going into the office full time so they contacted the 30% who said they’d be going in full time and asked them what had changed. 

Turns out they meant they wanted everyone to go back in the office full time not just themselves, mainly for the social aspect, and when they were coming in and the offices were mostly empty they stopped going in as well. 

Anecdotally that chimes with a lot of the people I know who say they want to go back the office. They also want everyone else going back in and if/when that doesn’t happen I wonder how many will persist in going in themselves. 

I'd prefer the choice. A couple of days in a week is fine but the option to work from home whenever. Its been boring the shit out of me but I'd miss it.