You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Working in an office

Sugar Ape

10 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

I love it too. I don’t think Mudface is an exception, loads of people would rather work at home and I’d expect the majority would like to work from home at least some of the time. Maybe 2/3 days from home and the same in the office. 

As for it being bad for your mental health, that’s undoubtedly true for a lot people but the exact opposite for a lot of others. The key is giving people the choice and not assuming because you don’t like it and it doesn’t suit you then everyone else is the same. And vice versa. 

I much prefer working from home.

Went back in the office a few weeks ago and initially hated it, got to a point where I'm ok with it now, but would still prefer to work from home.

For me its a number of reasons. The main ones are that I'm not a social/chit chat type of person. If i'm on the phone people have this weird habit of butting in and sometimes even trying to tell me something whilst i'm talking to a customer! 

Also we often have long periods of time in the winter when we aren't busy so I have to sit around for 8 hours dragging out 2-4 hours work over 8 hours. If I was at home I would just get it done and then relax. 

The bad news is my boss has already decided that we need to expand the office rather than offer a work from home option, so I think will start to look for something different in the future.   

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

I much prefer working from home.

Went back in the office a few weeks ago and initially hated it, got to a point where I'm ok with it now, but would still prefer to work from home.

For me its a number of reasons. The main ones are that I'm not a social/chit chat type of person. If i'm on the phone people have this weird habit of butting in and sometimes even trying to tell me something whilst i'm talking to a customer! 

Also we often have long periods of time in the winter when we aren't busy so I have to sit around for 8 hours dragging out 2-4 hours work over 8 hours. If I was at home I would just get it done and then relax. 

The bad news is my boss has already decided that we need to expand the office rather than offer a work from home option, so I think will start to look for something different in the future.   

Yes, this is a big perk for me. We have down periods during days - not every day but regularly - and I'm always sitting there thinking of shit I need to do at home. Now I can just actually do that shit when I have a bit of spare time rather than sit and think about and then have to do it when I get home. Then there's the obvious ones - lack of commute, etc. 

For me personally though, I think I'd prefer a mix - say 2 days at the office and 3 at home. Even though I'm 100% comfortable in my own company, work is basically my main means of speaking to people these days, I don't really have regular social interaction outside work and I live by myself (except when my son is here, which is quite a lot). Plus the vast majority of the people I work with are dead on. I don't think it'd be good for me in the long term to not be going to work ever. 

• Upvote 1

Good thread, interesting to read peoples thoughts on the subject. Its particularly pertinent to me and the missus at the moment as we're both retraining with a view to being able to be based out of home. New Zillund is a beautiful country, and there are nicer parts of it we could live in if we weren't tied to having to be within commuting distance of an office.

7 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

This was what initially stymied working from home at my current company (and the previous one)- a control freak boss who put more store in seeing people in the office than in the quality of their work, i.e. presenteeism. I remember people sitting around pretending to work until she'd left for the day. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Mudface said:

This was what initially stymied working from home at my current company (and the previous one)- a control freak boss who put more store in seeing people in the office than in the quality of their work, i.e. presenteeism. I remember people sitting around pretending to work until she'd left for the day. 

Referenced this in an earlier post. The capability of leaders/managers to operate this way is a barrier but so too is individual desire.

Those in leadership positions often feel the need to impose their preference on others (I suppose this, to an extent, is human nature). If their preference is to work in an office then they’re likely to want those they manage to do so as well. 

This can be cultural if existing leadership continuously promotes people in their own image, or creates a sense that their style is the only path to success, thereby leaving a business full of managers/leaders of the same type (very little diversity of thinking). In an extreme example you end up with a ‘command and control’ culture which really doesn’t lend itself to flexible working or employee choice. 

Any business can end up this way but I see it a lot in sales type environments. There’s also a cultural element to this, in terms of the country the business is based in. Some parts of the world are much further forward in their acceptance and ability to function with flexible working practices than others. 

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

Referenced this in an earlier post. The capability of leaders/managers to operate this way is a barrier but so too is individual desire.

Those in leadership positions often feel the need to impose their preference on others (I suppose this, to an extent, is human nature). If their preference is to work in an office then they’re likely to want those they manage to do so as well. 

This can be cultural if existing leadership continuously promotes people in their own image, or creates a sense that their style is the only path to success, thereby leaving a business full of managers/leaders of the same type (very little diversity of thinking). In an extreme example you end up with a ‘command and control’ culture which really doesn’t lend itself to flexible working or employee choice. 

Any business can end up this way but I see it a lot in sales type environments. There’s also a cultural element to this, in terms of the country the business is based in. Some parts of the world are much further forward in their acceptance and ability to function with flexible working practices than others. 

thats a big difference between sales and technical people.

I’ve been lucky to work in big tech teams over the last 4-5 years, where the emphasis has been get your allocated work done, let us know about blockers, we’re paying you, we trust you know what you are doing. Means days can be 11 hours long or 5 depending on what is coming through. Today was long one as was yesterday. Last week was pretty dead.

it will need a tipping point at smaller tech shops to follow suit. Industrywide trends and changes always follow the lead of what the big co’s are doing eventually, see open plan and hot dealing bollocks in little places with 10 desks.

i get the feeling with sales it is much more competitively driven, so the cultural side of working from home is a loss.

Sales bods tend to be more extroverted, but that can also be needful, requiring approval, needing to be the big swinging dick of the office, not gonna have the same cachet in the home office.

2 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Sales bods tend to be more extroverted, but that can also be needful, requiring approval, needing to be the big swinging dick of the office, not gonna have the same cachet in the home office.

There’s a huge amount of truth in this but I do think that sales organisations often mis a trick by failing to recognise that there’s more than one way to skin a cat. 

Often it’s all short term thinking, this months target, today’s target, even the target for the hour. This drives certain leadership practices and behaviours which can bring short term success but don’t necessarily support a sustainable business environment. I used to work with a Recruitment business who were very good at counting sales but less proficient at balancing the cost of their horrific employee retention figures (burn out a major part of the reason for this). Although many of their sales team were, indeed, the ‘swinging dick’ types there were others who had what it takes to be successful but simply weren’t able to in the environment they had to work in.

If leaders/managers are competent in recruiting the right people and managing performance effectively then how many hours someone works and where they work becomes less important. Objectives are agreed that engage, motivate and will make a contribution to business success. Good, regular conversations take place to measure these and deadlines are clear but, employees are empowered as to how/where to deliver them. 

Some organisations are much better than others at this. Sounds like you work in one (or at least a department) that’s doing this pretty well. 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

There’s a huge amount of truth in this but I do think that sales organisations often mis a trick by failing to recognise that there’s more than one way to skin a cat. 

Often it’s all short term thinking, this months target, today’s target, even the target for the hour. This drives certain leadership practices and behaviours which can bring short term success but don’t necessarily support a sustainable business environment. I used to work with a Recruitment business who were very good at counting sales but less proficient at balancing the cost of their horrific employee retention figures (burn out a major part of the reason for this). Although many of their sales team were, indeed, the ‘swinging dick’ types there were others who had what it takes to be successful but simply weren’t able to in the environment they had to work in.

If leaders/managers are competent in recruiting the right people and managing performance effectively then how many hours someone works and where they work becomes less important. Objectives are agreed that engage, motivate and will make a contribution to business success. Good, regular conversations take place to measure these and deadlines are clear but, employees are empowered as to how/where to deliver them. 

Some organisations are much better than others at this. Sounds like you work in one (or at least a department) that’s doing this pretty well. 

Aye, agree with a lot of that.

I’ve worked as contractor / consultant a lot over the 20 or so years, but last 4 years have been top tier orgs.

Currently working via an agency owned by a woman, and mainly staffed by women - it’s a hell of a difference.

Normally in Aus you get paid weekly or fortnightly, here it’s monthly, but you are paid pretty much the last day of the month for that month, if Thursday is 31st, you submit and you get paid, any issues and they sort it next month.

Much better at looking after the consultant, granted they may be smaller agency, but that makes a big difference when over here so many have been absorbed into the big yards like randstad.

• Upvote 1

I’m starting to find it quite funny the attack lines cunts like Ferrari are using on this subject.

They might be right and city centres are dying without office workers but telling people they have to spend a load of time and money commuting, especially when people are rightly worried about Covid, so they can keep Costa Coffee and Greggs open doesn’t seem like a winning strategy. 

• Upvote 2

On 28/07/2020 at 14:38, Sugar Ape said:

I’m starting to find it quite funny the attack lines cunts like Ferrari are using on this subject.

They might be right and city centres are dying without office workers but telling people they have to spend a load of time and money commuting, especially when people are rightly worried about Covid, so they can keep Costa Coffee and Greggs open doesn’t seem like a winning strategy. 

“Enough already” 

What a fucking cunt.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Ho hum. I’m sure all the retired old racists who make up the majority of Mail readers will head straight back the office. 

Haha. God that whole page is horrendous. They've obviously been told what to print by their pay masters in the Conservatives, their mates who own commercial property and high Street sandwhich and coffee chains. What a paper thin economy - reliant on lattes and egg sandwiches.

I'm doing my work, thanks, plenty of it. And I am spending money - it's going to the local independent corner shop, but I guess they dont matter cos the family who own it are the wrong colour. Also, I'm saving some money, but do they fuck want people having savings.

Also, looks like the Royals are coming out of hibernation after bunkering down in their castles during the pandemic. You think they'd want to keep a low profile with the paedo in the ranks.

Arseholes. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Haha. God that whole page is horrendous. They've obviously been told what to print by their pay masters in the Conservatives, their mates who own commercial property and high Street sandwhich and coffee chains. What a paper thin economy - reliant on lattes and egg sandwiches.

I'm doing my work, thanks, plenty of it. And I am spending money - it's going to the local independent corner shop, but I guess they dont matter cos the family who own it are the wrong colour. Also, I'm saving some money, but do they fuck want people having savings.

Also, looks like the Royals are coming out of hibernation after bunkering down in their castles during the pandemic. You think they'd want to keep a low profile with the paedo in the ranks.

Arseholes. 

That’s the thing, this isn’t like Brexit, getting the Daily Mail demographic riled up won’t get people into offices again.

They need to speak directly to the people who work in offices and convince them it’s the right thing to do, that it’s safe and give them a reason to spend the time and money travelling to offices again beyond stopping Costa Coffee going bust. And implying they’re shirkers when most have been working just as much at home isn’t going to get them far. 

9 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

That’s the thing, this isn’t like Brexit, getting the Daily Mail demographic riled up won’t get people into offices again.

They need to speak directly to the people who work in offices and convince them it’s the right thing to do, that it’s safe and give them a reason to spend the time and money travelling to offices again beyond stopping Costa Coffee going bust. And implying they’re shirkers when most have been working just as much at home isn’t going to get them far. 

Costa coffee made £400m a couple of years back and paid no tax on it, fuck ‘em, I’d gladly board the windows up myself.

• Upvote 7

I see a few right wing headbangers are creaming themselves over pound shop Rod Stewart Charlie Mullins telling his office staff to get back to work or he’ll sack them. 

Of course, when he said this on the radio to Julia Hartley-Brewer this morning, he was calling from his holiday home in Marbella. 

2019:

The reason you youngsters can’t afford to buy your own home is that you spend too much money on pre-made sandwiches and takeaway coffees.

2020:

We have to spend more money on pre-made sandwiches and takeaway coffees or the economy will collapse!!!

• Upvote 13

I work from home now and cant wait to go back into the office. There's nowhere I can really work at home apart from my kitchen table and even then it's not that comfortable. My Mrs will do my head in eventually being at home all day with her and one of the things she moans about having given up work is social interaction with people. 

On 28/07/2020 at 14:38, Sugar Ape said:

What an utter utter clueless patronising cunt (Nick Ferrari, not you!)

People like me that have been 'sitting round in their pyjamas not doing anything all day' are the main fucking reason the economy is still going! 

What an out of touch Imbaseal!  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

What’s happening with them woman you hate? 

I forgot to update you on that, sorry. She's been taken off marking my work in future, my boss also had someone from another team assess my calls & my scores went up to the extent that I've gone from failing to passing fairly comfortably.

She's still off looking after her daughter who has some rare type of leukaemia so the matter is closed as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 3