You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lallana: It has been a journey that I have been privileged to be a part of

TLW

A reflective Adam Lallana has discussed his Liverpool journey as he prepares for his final game for the European and Premier League champions against Newcastle on Sunday.

It is common knowledge that the veteran midfielder will depart at the end of this season in his quest for more playing time with Leicester and a reunion with Brendan Rodgers a likely destination.

It has been quite a ride for the Bournemouth academy graduate who went on to captain Southampton and from there sign on with Liverpool in the summer of 2014.

In that time the 32 year-old has made 178 appearances and scored 22 goals and he told the Official site having experienced some hard times, that he couldn’t think of a better time to be leaving with the club in such good shape.

“I think I’ve lost three finals here, they were all one after the other, so to be leaving having won four trophies is somewhat remarkable really, I still can’t believe it. 

“So, I think it’s kind of a fitting time to leave and end my chapter here. 

“There has been plenty of highs but also plenty of lows as well that have been difficult. So, to leave with the trophies and with the amazing memories, with so many friends as well that I’d probably class as family, makes it special and fitting I think.”

The England international discussed that difficult first season which eventually led to a change of management and a steady evolution which has lead to where the club is today.

“We obviously lost Suarez and Sturridge was injured and I think we had seven or eight new signings and everyone found it difficult to settle. I remember the three or four players that were probably the best for us that season where the lads who had been here for three or four years - Henderson, Raheem [Sterling], Coutinho, Gerrard - so it was really tough that first year. But we all had to kind of ride the wave. 

“The last game of the season was that 6-1 defeat away at Stoke City, Stevie’s last game, it was very difficult, but obviously since Jürgen came in… and that’s not forgetting the job that Brendan done because although we had a difficult season, we all had a difficult season and I think the infrastructure he began to create here in his tenure as Liverpool manager was fantastic and gave Jürgen something to build on. 

“But during Jürgen’s five years so far it’s not all been plain sailing, it’s been one step back to move two forward and that was [for] two or three years we faced them difficulties. 

“There were always signs that we were going in the right direction, getting to finals, beating City at the Etihad a couple of times, but then we’d always take that step back I felt. Listen, it’s been a journey but one that I’m privileged and honoured to be a part of.

The bromance between Lallana and Klopp is well known, a
 relationship that blossomed when the veteran played his best and most consistent football in the German’s first season, a fact that the manager has not forgotten.

Klopp recently called Lallana a legend of the club, a tag that he shrugs off instantly referencing the whole squad instead.  

“Maybe he has gone a bit over the top there! 

But we are a group of legends, I can definitely see that. It’s not due to one or two individuals as why we have been so successful - it really is the infrastructure and the manager has created that. 

“He’s recruited, he’s let people go when he’s saw fit or necessary, he’s moulded and created the culture that breeds throughout Melwood now. 

“You only need to look at the young lads who are coming through. Neco Williams, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott, Sepp [Van den Berg], Ki-Jana [Hoever], I’ve trained a lot with them over the last two years, so I know what a good place Liverpool is in at the moment. I know how talented the young crop are that are coming through are going to be and how successful the Academy is going to be the future.

Understandably there will be a great deal of emotion when the final whistle blows at St James’ Park tomorrow afternoon but he is more than ready for the next step and feels he has more to give in the latter stages of his career.

“My six years have gone in a flash. My two kids have grown up in Liverpool, it’s all they know.

"I’ve not just built friends and teammates here, I’ve built friends that I see as family forever and that’s where the sadness comes from. 

"I’m not leaving Liverpool because you know, I [just] want to continue to play here and I’m sad about leaving, because it’s the right time for me to leave. I’m desperate for a new challenge, I’m desperate to play a bit more.

"I still feel like I’ve got two or three years left at the top. It’s more of the relationships that you create and in a week’s time I could be, I will be somewhere else and not seeing these people that I’ve fought for and fought with over the last six years. 

"So that’s where the element of sadness comes, but I’m thoroughly excited by next challenge and what that will bring. Listen, I’m still going to be in communication with the majority of the boys and the boss, Carole and Caroline the sweet dinner ladies that we’ve got here that have looked after me for the past six years.

"There are good and bad sides of being a footballer and moving away, but it’s never nice to say goodbye is it really?

adam-lallana-liverpool-burnley-100319_u3601zochbfn10rcc46rhy1ln.jpg

Every time the name Lallana comes up in a news piece it sparks discussion among the fanbase. 

Some of that has to do with his inability to put consistent performances together due to injury which has in turn led to a lack of confidence.

But as a long standing player who has been through so much at the club, he is going out in the right way as a Premier League champion.

And he has a message for the Reds faithful.

“Thank you so much for accepting me, especially in my first year when we all had quite difficult moments - the players, fans - but I really did feel straight away that the type of player I was – and am - they warmed to me. I always feel that if you show a good attitude and you work hard, they will always give you time and after the first tough season it felt like I improved the more I settled. 

When Jürgen came in we had a couple of great seasons to get us back to the Champions League. 

They’ve obviously stayed patient with me through my injuries and although I wish I could of on a personal note maybe contributed a little bit more, the end goal was always to come here to win medals and be part of a special group. 

“That’s what we’ve done and we’ve achieved that together. It’s going to be unfortunate I won’t get a chance to properly say goodbye but I’m pretty sure I’ll be back at Anfield and hunting for three points against them, but I’m sure they’ll give me a nice welcome and it’ll be nice to say goodbye properly and I’m sure that will happen next season at some point.”

View full article

Always liked Lallana. He’s had some good moments in a Liverpool shirt and seems a decent chap. Injuries have obviously hampered him and I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Klopp loves him though and that’s good enough for me.

Wherever he ends up, I wish him well. 

Unless he ends up at Leeds. If he does that then fuck him, I’ll claim I always disliked him until my dying breath. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

Always seemed like a good pro, nice guy. Was never really good enough for what we needed in any area of the pitch; had some nice flashes though pressing from more central midfield positions before the injuries really took hold of him.

Like many (most?) of our players he spent a significant part of his career at a middling club before moving up. That's probably what makes our performance most remarkable of all for me. Used to denigrate Rodgers, Benitez etc. for so many buys from middling clubs who proved to be middling players; under Klopp, near to every single player taken from relative obscurity has proven to be an immense hit (I know he didn't sign Lallana, but Lallana was a better player under him).

40 minutes ago, halewood pete said:

Best wishes to him wherever he ends up,I would say he is guaranteed a great reception if he returns. I Have advocated him starting the Newcastle game as Captain but not my decision 

Yep, second all of that. Jurgen gave Skrtel the captaincy for his last game so you might be on the button there.

54 minutes ago, halewood pete said:

Best wishes to him wherever he ends up,I would say he is guaranteed a great reception if he returns. I Have advocated him starting the Newcastle game as Captain but not my decision 

He's not gonna be in the squad, saying his goodbyes today. 

I like him.

With all of the injuries since its easy to forget that in Jurgen's early days his pressing was actually being videoed and used by other clubs to educate their own players in the skill. 

Brighton being mentioned for him which I feel would be a good move under Brian Potter.

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I like him.

With all of the injuries since its easy to forget that in Jurgen's early days his pressing was actually being videoed and used by other clubs to educate their own players in the skill. 

Brighton being mentioned for him which I feel would be a good move under Brian Potter.

Sure he’s got a bit more left in him than a role in Phoenix Nights!

• Upvote 3

He was key in setting the pressing game tone during Klopp's first 2 seasons think thats why Klopp loves him so much, seems to be have been great in the dressing room (not just dishing out Nivea Products). Always had high hope for him, he was technically right up there, had some great spells for us, often hampered be injury. One the few genuinely 2 footed players to play for us in recent years. Hendos best friend.

• Upvote 2

Brighton on a 3 year deal according to Pearce and others.

good luck to him. His injuries hampered his time here without doubt, but even with that in mind, we’ve moved on beyond what he can offer us, and it’s right for all parties to move on.

Brighton seems a good fit, he walks in to that team(quickly hobbles out of it mind), probably be around the captaincy and if they do go down he’ll probably stick around a bit. Brighton looks a far nicer place to live than Leicester, think they’ll appreciate his grooming skill more there too.