You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Jul 18-22 2020)

tlw content

The first game of this round of fixtures saw Norwich lose yet again. This time Burnley were the ones benefitting from the Canaries’ generosity. Norwich had two players sent off in the first half and scored an own goal in the second.

Buendia was a little unfortunate as although he did leave a gentle elbow on Westwood, he was needled into it and the Burnley man made a huge meal of it. And here was me thinking Burnley’s players weren’t allowed to do that because it goes against the moral code of St Sean.

Some other bum then saw red for an over the ball tackle and then Wood opened the scoring with an overhead kick. Godfrey put one in his own net and a season that started so promisingly (remember them beating City?) is ending pathetically.

Bournemouth look like they’ll be joining them in the Championship now after a home loss to Southampton on Tuesday. They started the game really well and had their chances before falling behind to goal number 21 on the season for Ingsy.

Goal number 22 should have followed soon after but he missed a pen after Harry Wilson had handled. Harry just hasn’t got going since the restart has he?

He missed two good chances to equalise as did fellow sub Solanke, but it looked like a third sub, Sam Surridge, had equalised in the fourth minute of stoppage time. VAR ruled it out for offside against Callum Wilson, and Southampton rubbed salt in the wounds when Che Adams made it 2-0 with the last kick of the game. They need a miracle now.

Spurs’ win over Leicester was a weird one. 3-0 suggests they were comfortably the better side but Leicester had 71% possession, 24 shots to 7 and 13 corners versus just four from Spurs. You wonder how that’s possible, then you look at who the two managers are and those numbers all make perfect sense. Will Brendan ever figure out how to beat this negative cunt?

The goals all came from counter attacks against the run of pay, but you get the feeling that’s exactly how Mourinho drew it up. Still, 29% in a home game is not going to fly when fans are back in the stadium. Mourinho must be loving this as he can be as negative as he likes and there’s no-one there to complain.

Son’s off target shot was deflected in by young Leicester full back James Justin and then two brilliantly taken goals by Kane finished them off. Had Leicester managed a goal of their own they may have been able to appeal this result as you could make a strong argument that Kane’s goals shouldn’t count due to this social media post made by him this week.

Honestly, what the fuck?? Surely some sort of points deduction is justified here?

Leicester looked to have it sewn up prior to lockdown but since the restart they’ve found it difficult due to injuries. The lack of squad depth has really hurt them. They’ve really missed Ricardo while recently Chilwell has also been out. Now Soyuncu is suspended and they’ve got some bum who was out of his depth at Norwich playing in a back three with 92 year old Wes Morgan. 

It’s easy to criticise Rodgers but in fairness we wouldn’t be the same without Trent and Robbo. Leicester’s full backs are a huge part of how they play and that’s as big a reason as any why they go into the last game of the season in 5th place and in danger of losing the Champions League spot they had done so well to be in for virtually the whole season.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope they fucking smash the mancs everywhere this Sunday.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Great round-up as ever.

Totally agree on Watford. Any team losing 12-0 on aggregate to City should be dissolved let alone relegated. Didn't watch last week's game but at City, they just didn't try, didn't even attempt to keep the score down. All the more galling when they have the tools to damage City - quick players like Sarr and, earlier on, Deuloufeu who could exploit that wide open defence on the counter.

You're right about refereeing being a seriously tough job and I've no idea why anyone would want to do it. But the current crop (or should I be using word of the year 'cohort'?) make it much harder than it should be and are so crap that slagging them off should be mandatory.

• dave u unpinned this topic

"Palace had gotten themselves..."

Beg pardon? Palace had what?

Now you root'n toot'n gawdarnit son of a gun listen here. Y'all gotta stop using things like that or I'm a gonna have to ride you on out of town so ah am. 

Gotten themselves. I ask you.