You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Old school rap..

Elite

I've got a mate who absolutely loves his rap/hip hop. A proper fountain of knowledge of the genre right back from the 80s. he fucking hates me talking to him about it because I used to (and still do) love 2Pac, Dre, Snoop, Warren G, DMX..... 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I've got a mate who absolutely loves his rap/hip hop. A proper fountain of knowledge of the genre right back from the 80s. he fucking hates me talking to him about it because I used to (and still do) love 2Pac, Dre, Snoop, Warren G, DMX..... 

You had me until DMX. What the fuck?

Golden age hip hop (mid '80s to mid '90s) is one of the most creatively fertile periods in music for me. Public Enemy, Eric B & Rakim, KRS One, Ultramagnetic MCs, NWA, De La Soul, Beasties, EPMD, Nas, The Wu, The Pharcyde, Gang Starr all among my favourite acts of all time. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The Game doesn't get enough attention, but the obvious King of the Hill is Eminem. His last two albums have been very, very good - his use of double entendres has always been immense but he's taken it to a whole new level on these albums. Just adding his presence to a record makes the record better (in most cases anyway)

Take That Ft Eminem - Pray

Gary - All I do each night is pray...

Eminem - ...that you'll think of me on your final day

Gary - All I do each night is sing...

Eminem - ...that this shit blew up, you couldn't do a thing.

Bryan Adams Ft. Eminem - Run To You

Bryan AdamsShe says her love for me could never die
But that'd change if she ever found out about you and I

Eminem: And his girlfriends screaming in the trunk 

Bryan Adams: Oh but her love is cold
Wouldn't hurt her if she didn't know, 'cause

Eminem: She slipped, fell on his dick

Bryan Adams: When it gets too much
I need to feel your touch

I'm gonna run to you
I'm gonna run to you

Eminem: Bitch, I'ma kill you! You ain't got the balls to beef
We ain't gon' never stop beefin', I don't squash the beef

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Bryan Adams Ft. Eminem - Run To You

Bryan AdamsShe says her love for me could never die
But that'd change if she ever found out about you and I

Eminem: And his girlfriends screaming in the trunk 

Bryan Adams: Oh but her love is cold
Wouldn't hurt her if she didn't know, 'cause

Eminem: She slipped, fell on his dick

Bryan Adams: When it gets too much
I need to feel your touch

I'm gonna run to you
I'm gonna run to you

Eminem: Bitch, I'ma kill you! You ain't got the balls to beef
We ain't gon' never stop beefin', I don't squash the beef

hahahaha that's brilliant.

5 hours ago, Elite said:

Anyone into the older stuff like Cypress Hill, Mobb Deep, Public Enemy, etc?

Like a lot of the Cypress Hill stuff (the stuff in Training Day is dope). I was never a fan of Mobb Deep, I know there was a lot of hatred between them and Tupac etc. There seemed to be a little bit of a Beatles/Elvis thing with NWA/Public Enemy - you either liked one or the other and if you liked both you just didn't get it. I much preferred NWA and it was a long time after the event that I listened to Public Enemy.