You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 5 Chelsea 3 (Jul 22 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Ok so NOW it feels real. We may have won it weeks ago but I wasn’t really completely feeling it until now. I knew we were Champions and I saw how ecstatic people were, but I wasn’t quite there. Not sure why. A few things I suppose.

Partly because this thing had essentially been sewn up since December. Partly because of the enforced break that halted the procession. Partly because we couldn’t be there in person to see it. But on reflection, I think it’s mostly because I’ve forgotten what winning the league is like and how it’s supposed to feel. 

I was a teenager when we last won it and I don’t really remember much about it other than it was business as usual. It’s completely different to winning other trophies though. Unless of course it goes down to the last day and it all hinges on a one off game, in which case it’s basically the same as any other trophy success. 

Over the last 30 years we’ve had plenty of trophies to celebrate but every one of those either involved being at a final in person or watching it in the City Centre with mates. When you win those, celebrating is easy. You know how to feel as you’re swept up in the moment.

This was different. We didn’t even win it on the pitch. It was clinched when City lost at Chelsea and could therefore no longer catch us. That turned out great for the lads because they were able to watch that game together and go nuts afterwards. For us fans though, it was strange. 

We didn’t have that focal point. That one game where it happened and we could all celebrate afterwards. Even without Covid it wouldn’t have been the same as when you actually win a final, but to have this in the middle of a pandemic just killed the party mood. At least for me anyway.

I just wasn’t as ecstatic as I always imagined I would be when it finally happened. Now I feel it though. This is what it needed to become real for me. Seeing them lift the trophy brought it all to life. Obviously I feel robbed of the opportunity to see it happen live but that’s something beyond everybody’s control. For now at least.

In fairness to everyone involved, I thought this went as well as it possibly could without any fans inside the stadium. I’m not even arsed about Coldplay because to tell you the truth I didn’t even notice it. Did they even play it? I suppose that’s the thing with Coldplay, they’re not very noticeable as they’re so fucking bland (apart from Viva La Vida which is the exception that proves the rule).

It felt great seeing the lads with their medals and the trophy and now it’s finally hit home that we are Champions. Champions of England. Champions of Europe (for a few more weeks at least). Champions of the World. We’re currently the Champions of everything and we should savour this because we’ve never done it before and might never do it again. Then again, we might. Who knows?

As for the game itself, it was a cracker. Chelsea are not too dissimilar to what we were a few years ago. Great going forward, some very talented players but defensively vulnerable and with big questions marks over the goalkeeper. The biggest difference is we had Klopp to put that right whereas they have Lampard, who is still very much an unknown quantity. 

Chelsea started the game well and had a couple of good situations they could have made more of. They wasted them and within the blink of an eye they were 3-0 down. It all seemed to happen very quickly but in that spell we played some great stuff.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I actually quite like Lampard and think he will be a good manager in the long run.  But he can cram the "arrogant" comments up his cockney arse.  2014 springs to mind when you think of shite behaviour like he's claiming.

Seeing Henderson finally get to lift that trophy is on of the high spots of my adult life, fucking glorious and simply unforgettable.

• Upvote 2

Totally agree on Coldplay and Viva La Vida, and on Kepa Who was poor on Trent’ free kick.

The lads will be emotionally exhausted with the trophy and the party. Only change to win at Newcastle is a strong rotation. It will be nice for the lads who haven’t played  much and for the kids,  and they should be good enough to win this, lead by Milner. Robbo has to play obviously. 

• Upvote 1

This popped up in my recommended list. Looking back, he's got it pretty spot on. It's fitting too that the final goal scored before getting their hands on the trophy was definitely what Neville meant when referring to identity.

• Upvote 5

"Over the last 30 years we’ve had plenty of trophies to celebrate but every one of those either involved being at a final in person or watching it in the City Centre with mates. When you win those, celebrating is easy. You know how to feel as you’re swept up in the moment.

This was different. We didn’t even win it on the pitch. It was clinched when City lost at Chelsea and could therefore no longer catch us. That turned out great for the lads because they were able to watch that game together and go nuts afterwards. For us fans though, it was strange. "

Just on that point, it's worth mentioning about 90% of those games have been balls to wall nail baiters. Extra time, penalties, last minute and a few smash and grabs.

Makes it easier to celebrate and that kind of thing has gradually become our frame of reference for winning stuff.

• Upvote 1

Will there be a print fanzine special to mark this achievement? You know it makes sense.

The absolute gall of lampard calling anyone arrogant, set Xabi on the fat pig I say, with the " mad look " in his eye. They never liked each other.

• Upvote 1

Terrible Viva La Vida analysis. On the other hand, I’m glad that you pointed out the fact that Alonso stole 20 yards on that throw. What makes it worse is that our player (Robbo I think) got pushed back a yard seconds earlier which is what caused them to win their throw. Tyler was literally still going on about our free kick in the first half as that happened so he didn’t notice. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Arnaud said:

I don’t know how we will deal when these reports dry out. They’re coming thick and fast, enjoyable as ever, I’m actually addicted.

Month off and then back in the saddle. Will use that month to do the fanzine.

3 hours ago, aws said:

Who are Coldplay? 

The English Manic Street Preachers.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, dave u said:

The English Manic Street Preachers.

22 years ago I had a temporary job in a warehouse in Avonmouth (just by the Severn Bridge) and there was a lad that worked there that had dark hair and liked his class A’s. 

One night when pissed up we all had a laugh saying he was Richey Edwards and we should get the Sunday Sport down to do an article on him. 

Unbeknownst to all of us one lad made a call and within a week there was a ‘journalist’ and a photographer at the warehouse reception desk asking to take photos and speak to ‘Richey’. 

The MD went fucking mental when he found out.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aws said:

Who are Coldplay? 

An Echo and the Bunnymen tribute/cabaret act.

Actually, I really like the first two albums. I'm off to watch the video to The Scientist. 

I thought it was a definite foul of Sadio and Mo should have had at least one penalty. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, tlw content said:

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Ok so NOW it feels real. We may have won it weeks ago but I wasn’t really completely feeling it until now. I knew we were Champions and I saw how ecstatic people were, but I wasn’t quite there. Not sure why. A few things I suppose.

Partly because this thing had essentially been sewn up since December. Partly because of the enforced break that halted the procession. Partly because we couldn’t be there in person to see it. But on reflection, I think it’s mostly because I’ve forgotten what winning the league is like and how it’s supposed to feel. 

I was a teenager when we last won it and I don’t really remember much about it other than it was business as usual. It’s completely different to winning other trophies though. Unless of course it goes down to the last day and it all hinges on a one off game, in which case it’s basically the same as any other trophy success. 

Over the last 30 years we’ve had plenty of trophies to celebrate but every one of those either involved being at a final in person or watching it in the City Centre with mates. When you win those, celebrating is easy. You know how to feel as you’re swept up in the moment.

This was different. We didn’t even win it on the pitch. It was clinched when City lost at Chelsea and could therefore no longer catch us. That turned out great for the lads because they were able to watch that game together and go nuts afterwards. For us fans though, it was strange. 

We didn’t have that focal point. That one game where it happened and we could all celebrate afterwards. Even without Covid it wouldn’t have been the same as when you actually win a final, but to have this in the middle of a pandemic just killed the party mood. At least for me anyway.

I just wasn’t as ecstatic as I always imagined I would be when it finally happened. Now I feel it though. This is what it needed to become real for me. Seeing them lift the trophy brought it all to life. Obviously I feel robbed of the opportunity to see it happen live but that’s something beyond everybody’s control. For now at least.

In fairness to everyone involved, I thought this went as well as it possibly could without any fans inside the stadium. I’m not even arsed about Coldplay because to tell you the truth I didn’t even notice it. Did they even play it? I suppose that’s the thing with Coldplay, they’re not very noticeable as they’re so fucking bland (apart from Viva La Vida which is the exception that proves the rule).

It felt great seeing the lads with their medals and the trophy and now it’s finally hit home that we are Champions. Champions of England. Champions of Europe (for a few more weeks at least). Champions of the World. We’re currently the Champions of everything and we should savour this because we’ve never done it before and might never do it again. Then again, we might. Who knows?

As for the game itself, it was a cracker. Chelsea are not too dissimilar to what we were a few years ago. Great going forward, some very talented players but defensively vulnerable and with big questions marks over the goalkeeper. The biggest difference is we had Klopp to put that right whereas they have Lampard, who is still very much an unknown quantity. 

Chelsea started the game well and had a couple of good situations they could have made more of. They wasted them and within the blink of an eye they were 3-0 down. It all seemed to happen very quickly but in that spell we played some great stuff.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

It's kind of strange because not winning the league after such an incredible season last year felt like a huge kick in the teeth that winning it this year sort of undid the hurt of that rather than sending the emotions through the roof. The presentation though was boss.

It reminded a lot of when we last won the league in 1990. The previous year we literally had it stolen with a goal in the final moments that was such a kick in the teeth that winning it the next year just undid the hurt of not winning it the previous year. 

I just assumed we'd try and win it again the next year and that would be boss. That went well.

If we win it again next year it will be an even bigger achievement than this time but I wouldn't take it for granted after 1990. Looking forward to seeing how we go on.

13 hours ago, A_S said:

This popped up in my recommended list. Looking back, he's got it pretty spot on. It's fitting too that the final goal scored before getting their hands on the trophy was definitely what Neville meant when referring to identity.

I’d not seen that before but it’s bob on, and so are you about the last goal.

thing is, so was the first - nicking the ball back high up the pitch and making them pay - and the 4th - killer ball in from deep wide position by the full back.

thats three wildly different goals that are all very obviously linked to our identity and way of playing to me.

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic