You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rudigers body check on Salah

I know I shouldn't be but I'm still raging about this from last night. I mean am I going insane or what?

Every media outlet (Sky, MOTD) put it down to Rudiger "Standing his ground", the guy took a few steps away from the ball to stand directly in Salahs way. WTF?

Why does everybody ignore what they see with their own eyes, it was as blatant a foul as you are likely to see. I'm a bit peeved at our lack of penalties this season and how we don't get many VAR checks either!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I know I shouldn't be but I'm still raging about this from last night. I mean am I going insane or what?

Every media outlet (Sky, MOTD) put it down to Rudiger "Standing his ground", the guy took a few steps away from the ball to stand directly in Salahs way. WTF?

Why does everybody ignore what they see with their own eyes, it was as blatant a foul as you are likely to see. I'm a bit peeved at our lack of penalties this season and how we don't get many VAR checks either!

I'm totally with you on that. It was a blatant and deliberate foul.

I'm a bit more Zen about it though. Trophy presentations have a calming effect on me. 

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why football hasn't formally adopted the standard from basketball, which is incredibly simple to understand and would clear these situations up in an instant.

If the defender is stationary and the attacker runs into him, it's an offensive charge and a foul against the attacker. If the defender moves into the path of the attacker, it's a foul against the defender. Straightforward, fair and logical.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ru diver did move towards Salah, but it wasn’t particularly egregious and those rarely get given unless it’s United who plays to different rules.

I was more bothered by the challenge on Mane which was a blatant barge when he was running through, and could only have been a pen.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I don't understand why football hasn't formally adopted the standard from basketball, which is incredibly simple to understand. If the defender is stationary and the attacker runs into him, it's an offensive charge and a foul against the attacker. If the defender moves into the path of the attacker, it's a foul against the defender. Straightforward, fair and logical.

And when have the football authorities ever been either of these?  

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I would have been fuming if that had been given against us. The Mane barge outlined by Bob Spunk was the clear penno for me.

He deliberately put himself in the way of Salah though. Pen for me

Was a clear body check in my opinion. Watched the replay of the event during the game and you can see it wasnt even a case of rudiger just standing his ground, he deliberately moves into Mo's path. Shocking refing who could maybe excused for not seeing it but VAR?! How the fuck did they miss it?

You kind of get the impression with a lot of decisions against us that refs and VAR have gone they are so far ahead, what does it matter if they dont get the decision? Yeah, Im a cynic and paranoid but when you see the laughable penalty decisions united have got, especially since the re start, I think it's case proven.

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Was a clear body check in my opinion. Watched the replay of the event during the game and you can see it wasnt even a case of rudiger just standing his ground, he deliberately moves into Mo's path. Shocking refing who could maybe excused for not seeing it but VAR?! How the fuck did they miss it?

You kind of get the impression with a lot of decisions against us that refs and VAR have gone they are so far ahead, what does it matter if they dont get the decision? Yeah, Im a cynic and paranoid but when you see the laughable penalty decisions united have got, especially since the re start, I think it's case proven.

I've kind of felt like that too. Issue is it sets a precedent for them not giving us things they should and it show glaring inconsistency with regards to referees as whole. VAR itself has come up with some shocking decisions which, in my opinion anyway, is down to the VAR ref not wanting to upset his colleague(s) by over-ruling him. I think the people looking at the video should be independent of the other match day officials or they to adopt very clear standards that take most of the interpretation out of it.

3 hours ago, Mark M said:

don't remember this happening also Salah was shite last night

This, even if he got through on his feet he would have needed an extra goal to hit. But it was a foul and he should have been awarded a penalty.

If Rüdiger is a split second later for the exact same motion and blocks Mo with the barest of dangled legs, everyone knows it's a foul. Yet an even more blatant block is deemed good defending somehow? Not much logic in that. 

5 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Gif? Ta