You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (hAway) Premier League Champions - 26/7/20 - 16:00

Bjornebye

33 minutes ago, deiseach said:

It's telling that I wanted Liverpool to win this dead rubber more than any other potential result today. Klopp has built a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat them.

Another team shirt for the Bloos to add to their weighty collection

• Upvote 1

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyable game in the end today; that refusal to be beaten has really resurfaced both midweek and tonight, after a truly freakish comedy of errors against Arsenal had me thinking that beating last season's points tally would be a stretch.

I suspect Pap will end up being given £250m to spend as a result of an entirely legitimate goal post paint sponsorship deal that will have an even more packed City squad starting as favourites, but I’m feeling good about next season. Yeah, the size of their goal difference advantage would normally be a red flag, but it’s worth noting that ours was better at the point we clinched the title and given that these players have essentially had the league won since January, it’s pretty outstanding that there hasn’t been more of a drop-off. How many times did we watch Ferguson's Man Utd go until the last few games to confirm titles that were never seriously in doubt?

4 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Enjoyable game in the end today; that refusal to be beaten has really resurfaced both midweek and tonight, after a truly freakish comedy of errors against Arsenal had me thinking that beating last season's points tally would be a stretch.

I suspect Pap will end up being given £250m to spend as a result of an entirely legitimate goal post paint sponsorship deal that will have an even more packed City squad starting as favourites, but I’m feeling good about next season. Yeah, the size of their goal difference advantage would normally be a red flag, but it’s worth noting that ours was better at the point we clinched the title. Given that these players have essentially had the league won since January, it’s pretty outstanding that there hasn’t been more of a drop-off. How many times did we watch Ferguson's Man Utd go until the last few games to confirm titles that were never seriously in doubt?

I think Curtis has something about him, and Minamino has started to show flashes.

If Lovren, lallana and Divock go, we should slot Jones into Lallanas position, replace Original with better quality and get in a new CB or bring up Hoever, although he hasn't had a look in so theres question marks over him. Get Thiago in.

Sluggish as fuck to start with. It's noticeable with Gomez in particular that he hasn't looked switched on since the restart, and he's making the sort of errors that just weren't there not so long ago. Far too generous from the team as a collective to give up that goal at that time and in that manner.

However, thereafter we completely dominated Newcastle. We knew we'd have the bulk of possession, but it came down to what we did with it. Taki was busy and had a really good effort saved, but he's not being helped by never being selected alongside 2 of our regulars in attack. Ox and Big Div appeared to be half-arseing it. Ox woke up enough to drive down the inside right and ping over an inch-perfect cross for Big Virg to bury. At that point, at least the scoreline had something resembling a fair reflection of the game.

The second half was just total dominance. Two cracking goals from Big Div and Sadio. Mo hit the post with a snap shot following a corner, but then wasted 2 better opportunities. Bobby put him clear through but he allowed Fernandez to get back and block but taking too long to get a shot away. Then he mis-controlled a pass in a really promising position in the penalty area.

We really should have been out of sight in that second half as Newcastle simply could not get out of their own half. That sentence could apply to many of our league matches this season, because the scorelines haven't reflected our dominance and control.

After clinching the title when City lost at Chelsea, we still had a number of targets to try and achieve, and we missed all of them. We should have blitzed past the 100-point mark. We should have got a 100% record at home. Alisson should have got the Golden Gloves. Mo should have got the Golden Boot again. The reasons we didn't were uncharacteristic slackness at the back, and Mo's shooting boots deserting him these past few weeks.

All that being said, how can I complain about this season?! We finally won the one we've been desperate for for the past 30 years. Now we lay it as a marker and go again next season to try and hold on to it.

• Upvote 2

Only just watched the game, due to a hectic schedule over the weekend. Thought we stepped up well after a very ordinary start. Youngsters looking good, and Nice goal from Origi too.

roll on next season. Lets twat all these upstart clubs that think they might be catching us.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Klopp is the current heartbeat of the club. Its difficult to imagine anybody else who can motivate players as he can. And who said we aren't producing Academy youngsters? Klopp seems to think they are decent.

Exactly. People say we dont produce kids to play in the first team then, just when we have a crop where it looks a couple could do a job even if it is as squad players, coming on as subs, they want us to spunk 50m on just about anyone so it looks like we are spending money just to keep up with chelsea.

You'd think people would see after the van Dijk episode Klopp doesnt sign a player for the sake of it.