You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emlyn Hughes RIP

I too was a big fan of Emlyn as a kid, I was so happy when they recently unveiled the statue of Bob and Emlyn. 

I did the tour of the stadium as a kid, and we had just been in the players lounge. I needed a burst so popped back in. Who should be in there reading a newspaper when I emerged from the toilet but Emlyn. Starstruck I came out with some rubbish comment and rejoined the tour. I also managed to get his autograph from a different trip to the stadium when they used to coach up to Melwood and back for training. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Stickman said:

Nobody ever looked happier than Emlyn with either scoring or picking a trophy nor had as much pain etched in his face when losing ..

Think this is the goal you’re talking about ......

aoA4zJcZfg5w0Uj5.mp4

That's the one.

Another memory is him shouting "Liverpool are magic and Everton are TRAGIC" down the microphone at the civic reception when we won the European Cup in 77.

Think he was pissed.

Amazing that Bill plucked him from Blackpool after what, less than 30 games, and earmarked him for a career at Liverpool. Always used to piss me off that that numpty ramsey used to play our Em as a left back.

I was majorly surprised when Bill started playing him as a CB as he got older but it was a logical decision.

13 minutes ago, skaro said:

Yes, I was being a little facetious.

His father was Welsh and represented Wales at Rugby League, so Wales would have perhaps technically been an option for Emlyn.

Ah right didn't know that  always wondered why he had a very Welsh sounding name 

Brilliant bloke. He lived in digs in Wavertree when he first came to the club. Used to ambush him regularly as he came out of the local bookies, must have got his autograph about 10 times. Always had time for the kids, even though we must have been complete pests.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 1 year later...
On 31/08/2020 at 09:11, Harry's Lad said:

That's the one.

Another memory is him shouting "Liverpool are magic and Everton are TRAGIC" down the microphone at the civic reception when we won the European Cup in 77.

Think he was pissed.

Apparantly he got a hell of bollocking from Bob for doing that. Well funny though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...