You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All time Liverpool XI

Bob

i know there are already best XI threads out there, but there’s a thing on the BBC where you can build your own, with choice of formation, etc, so I thought it good to start from scratch.

the link is here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51628666

i’m swayed by regency, and players from my watching years, with just a couple of older players added in too, including Hughes because as good as Robbo is, I’m loathed to think he’s our best ever and from watching old videos when I was younger it seemed like he could play anywhere to the highest level.

Trent gets in on recency bias, and he’s got a long way to go before he probably has done enough to be “best ever” but honestly he is just so good he gets my vote already.

i considered Hansen at centre back, but I just loved Sami so much he gets the nod, and alongside Virg they would be incredible.

Midfield is scarily good with Souness, Gerrard and Alonso.

I can’t make an all time XI without Barnes. I’ll get stick for not having Rush, but I’m imagining it with our current set up and play style so Kenny gets the nod, and Suarez was probably the best player I’ve ever watched regularly in the flesh, so no place for Rush, Salah, Mane, and so many more.

4AC60273-4E98-4189-B938-64E3CD271EEA.jpeg

On 21/07/2020 at 11:26, Bob Spunkmouse said:

i know there are already best XI threads out there, but there’s a thing on the BBC where you can build your own, with choice of formation, etc, so I thought it good to start from scratch.

the link is here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51628666

i’m swayed by regency, and players from my watching years, with just a couple of older players added in too, including Hughes because as good as Robbo is, I’m loathed to think he’s our best ever and from watching old videos when I was younger it seemed like he could play anywhere to the highest level.

Trent gets in on recency bias, and he’s got a long way to go before he probably has done enough to be “best ever” but honestly he is just so good he gets my vote already.

i considered Hansen at centre back, but I just loved Sami so much he gets the nod, and alongside Virg they would be incredible.

Midfield is scarily good with Souness, Gerrard and Alonso.

I can’t make an all time XI without Barnes. I’ll get stick for not having Rush, but I’m imagining it with our current set up and play style so Kenny gets the nod, and Suarez was probably the best player I’ve ever watched regularly in the flesh, so no place for Rush, Salah, Mane, and so many more.

4AC60273-4E98-4189-B938-64E3CD271EEA.jpeg

No doubting Alonso was a wonderful player especially at Real Madrid, but no chance he gets in a Liverpool team ahead of Terry Mac, Ronnie Whelan or Jan Molby. If you judge him what he was at Real Madrid though, I would say he was one of the best midfielders of his generation.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

No doubting Alonso was a wonderful player especially at Real Madrid, but no chance he gets in a Liverpool team ahead of Terry Mac, Ronnie Whelan or Jan Molby. If you judge him what he was at Real Madrid though, I would say he was one of the best midfielders of his generation.

There’s another thread better placed for your input, but my selection is definitely swayed by who I saw regularly in the flesh.

i grew up loving Molby, and I probably should have chosen him instead. Terry Mc is before my time, and honestly when an was just a little early for me to remember well enough. In his time, my eyes were solely on Barnes and Rush, and latterly McManaman and Fowler.

38 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

There’s another thread better placed for your input, but my selection is definitely swayed by who I saw regularly in the flesh.

i grew up loving Molby, and I probably should have chosen him instead. Terry Mc is before my time, and honestly when an was just a little early for me to remember well enough. In his time, my eyes were solely on Barnes and Rush, and latterly McManaman and Fowler.

Fair enough Bob! Great team though. 

No disputing Xabi was outstanding. I just feel we only saw it in glimpses bar his final year. Quality player.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this although I know it's too late for the BBC team. 

Clemence

Nicol                        Hansen             Hyppia          Hughes

McManaman            Gerrard               Souness        Barnes

Dalglish               Rush 

I've avoided players who were only here for three or four years because I don't think that is enough to be a Liverpool legend. Really you need to have played 300 or more games I think. I played around with the formation but it's hard to look past 4-4-2. Right wing was the hardest spot to choose.             

12 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

Thought I'd bump this although I know it's too late for the BBC team. 

Clemence

Nicol                        Hansen             Hyppia          Hughes

McManaman            Gerrard               Souness        Barnes

Dalglish               Rush 

I've avoided players who were only here for three or four years because I don't think that is enough to be a Liverpool legend. Really you need to have played 300 or more games I think. I played around with the formation but it's hard to look past 4-4-2. Right wing was the hardest spot to choose.             

McDermott instead of McManaman. Callaghan if your criteria is appearances as well as ability. You could also play Heighway on the right.