You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All Time Liverpool XI on BBC Site

an tha

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

A few questions but I will ask just one. Carragher?

Yeah I wanted an aggressive front foot defender to partner Virgil. Not much in it between Sami and Carra IMO in terms of quality; Carra better one on one, Sami the better ‘sweeper’. Probably could’ve picked Hansen.

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Ability wise he’d be up there no?

Each to their own, but for me a 'greatest side' is about more than just raw ability, I'd have been tempted to have Torres in mine for example, but he's a cunt. The appeal of players like Dalglish, Rush, Hyypia etc goes beyond raw footballing ability. 

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Yeah I wanted an aggressive front foot defender to partner Virgil. Not much in it between Sami and Carra IMO in terms of quality; Carra better one on one, Sami the better ‘sweeper’. Probably could’ve picked Hansen.

Probably should have picked Hansen.

McDermott was a fun find for me from playing ‘draft’. First I ever watched his clips would’ve been around a year ago, and was astounded as to how good a player he was... From the clips he looked the better footballer than Souness, but appreciate that there’s a lot more to ability than what highlight clips can show you.

There's a difference between greatest and best.

Greatest would be based on accomplishments, longevity and character. So Phil Neal would be a shoe in for greatest, whereas Suarez wouldn't get near it.

In terms of a best 11 though, there's no way I could ever leave Suarez out. Alisson would get in this one too but to get in the greatest he'd need to be here longer to eclipse Clemence.

15 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Where’s Rob Jones? I can only assume everyone on here is suffering from temporary madness. 

Didn’t win the medals or play the same number of games as Phil Neal but if you’re picking sides in the playground than Jones was the superior player. 

He really wasn’t.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

There's a difference between greatest and best.

Greatest would be based on accomplishments, longevity and character. So Phil Neal would be a shoe in for greatest, whereas Suarez wouldn't get near it.

In terms of a best 11 though, there's no way I could ever leave Suarez out. Alisson would get in this one too but to get in the greatest he'd need to be here longer to eclipse Clemence.

It’s the players I’d pick to beat Manchester United XI. I honestly believe a front line of Salah, Mane and Suarez would be impossible for any team to defend against. Too quick, too powerful and too good.

18 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Where’s Rob Jones? I can only assume everyone on here is suffering from temporary madness. 

Didn’t win the medals or play the same number of games as Phil Neal but if you’re picking sides in the playground than Jones was the superior player. 

Nah, he had a promising start to his career, had the likes of Giggs in his pocket early on but was crocked after that. A 'could have been' but never was, sadly. 

Guest Pistonbroke

This was really hard as we've been blessed with so many good players down the years. It is also an age thing and who got to see who played. The current team is probably the best team we've had but surprising how many you have to leave out of your all time 11. A lot also depends on what formation you want to play to get the best out of the players you choose. I actually only put VVD in the team as although he has only been at the club for a short while he is utter class. Tough on Lawrenson who was great alongside Hansen. Lawrenson wasn't that tall for a CB though, one of the reasons I've gone with VVD. Heartaches for the midfield, so many good players I had to leave out, but with the drive of Gerrard and the fact I've put Heighway and Barnes on the wings the M/F needs a man of steel and they didn't come much better than Souness. 

To make up for a few I felt bad about leaving out I'm choosing a traditional 7 man bench. In fairness you could easily choose two full teams and benches and there wouldn't be a great drop in quality. 

Grobelaar, Lawrenson, Steve Nichol (mr Versatile and could cover various positions), Ray Kennedy, Terry Mc, Keegan, Fowler. 

liverpool-all-time-xi-73e609c714fe377d7f

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Nah, he had a promising start to his career, had the likes of Giggs in his pocket early on but was crocked after that. A 'could have been' but never was, sadly. 

I watched Rob Jones under Evans, and I remember thinking at the time that Babbel was a massive upgrade. 

Just now, The Golden Eel said:

Jim Beglin is one of the defender options. Bizarre 

Riise as well. As if anyone is picking him as our all time best/greatest left back. 

The big miss is Nicol as Dave said. I’d have probably put him at right back if I’d had the option. 

Incidentally did anyone else see Tony Evans a while ago, I’m assuming out of his mind drunk, arguing with everyone that Nicol was better than Maldini on Twitter? 

Take the point about greatest v best. 

Greatest = Phil Neal.

Best = Rob Jones.

Just my opinion but, for the short time his flame flickered, the best right back I’ve seen in a Liverpool shirt (I saw plenty of Phil Neal). Trent may change that one day but, for now, Rob Jones is the best. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Riise as well. As if anyone is picking him as our all time best/greatest left back. 

The big miss is Nicol as Dave said. I’d have probably put him at right back if I’d had the option. 

Incidentally did anyone else see Tony Evans a while ago, I’m assuming out of his mind drunk, arguing with everyone that Nicol was better than Maldini on Twitter? 

Nichol is in the options mate. 

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I agree with you, yeah, but Riise at least played 350 times for Liverpool. Beglin played 98 games in all competitions. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

He’s not there when you try and add a defender to the team. Not for me anyway at least. 

Yeah, weird. Just tried that and they have indeed fucked up. Some of the choices are ridiculous anyway. They've added a forward from 1900 and another from the 30's! Although they may have liaised with Stringy to make things fair.