You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia Report

Bjornebye

I’m not comfortable with the referendum being revisited again and again. The focus should really be on the country moving forward. The UK are leaving the European Union. The people democratically voted for that. Let’s try make a success of it, or at the very least, the least damaging possible. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, aRdja said:

I’m not comfortable with the referendum being revisited again and again. The focus should really be on moving forward. The UK are leaving the European Union. The people democratically voted for that. Let’s try make a success of or at the very least, the least damaging possible. 

Hold on, if the Russians interfered with it, then people didn't vote democratically - and given how close it was, it might have been entirely pivotal. You might not feel comfortable with revisiting it, but quite frankly I don't care about your comfort when it comes to international security from tampering in my democratic elections. 

• Upvote 1

There is no evidence of Russia interfering with it at present guys. What’s the end game here? The refusal to accept the result of the referendum from the remainers has contributed to you being in this position, where Hard Brexit is looking likely to happen IMHO. 

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

There is no evidence of Russia interfering with it at present guys. 

ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. 

tenor.gif

What’s the end game here? The refusal to accept the result of the referendum from the remainers has contributed to you being in this position, where Hard Brexit is looking likely to happen IMHO. 

No, the end game is to find out how badly damaged our democracy is, both from external threats and to discover any potential collusion. Brexit is done. Our democracy is hanging on from a thread. Best not to ignore it.

14 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I’m not comfortable with the referendum being revisited again and again. The focus should really be on the country moving forward. The UK are leaving the European Union. The people democratically voted for that. Let’s try make a success of it, or at the very least, the least damaging possible. 

*chortle*

"democratically"

• Upvote 1

There is no evidence of Russia interfering with it at present guys. What’s the end game here? The refusal to accept the result of the referendum from the remainers has contributed to you being in this position, where Hard Brexit is looking likely to happen IMHO. 

Whodyanickyerchattinbollocksov

18 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Oh do fuck off.  There's about as much truth in this post as there was in the Vote Lies (Leave) campaign.

9 minutes ago, Moo said:

Oh do fuck off.  There's about as much truth in this post as there was in the Vote Lies (Leave) campaign.

I voted for remain, but once they decided to put it to the people to decide, then they had to deliver the result. The people voted to leave the EU. There’s an existing template of a prosperous European country outside of the EU e.g., Norway or Switzerland. You would’ve thought surely that should’ve been the aim. I had hoped that Corbyn would recognise that, but unfortunately he decided to go against the result of the referendum by backing “People’s Vote”, and that ultimately killed him IMO (not literally).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Norway exports a shit ton of oil and the Swiss have had their fingers in everyones financial pie for centuries.

The UK is going to struggle on its own.

London is the financial capital of the world, surely that counts for something.

14 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Agreed, but don't look a gift horse - or count your chickens - as they say.

Investment Times:

Brexit and the possible loss of passporting rights of firms in Britain have raised questions about whether the city can keep its position at the heart of international monetary system. 

36 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I voted for remain, but once they decided to put it to the people to decide, then they had to deliver the result. The people voted to leave the EU. There’s an existing template of a prosperous European country outside of the EU e.g., Norway or Switzerland. You would’ve thought surely that should’ve been the aim. I had hoped that Corbyn would recognise that, but unfortunately he decided to go against the result of the referendum by backing “People’s Vote”, and that ultimately killed him IMO (not literally).

Apparently, he had to be persuaded by Sir Keir to go for the confirmatory vote. Personally, I think it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion: you can't even delete an email without being asked whether you really mean it; deleting your citizenship rights and a good chunk of the national prosperity should be treated with at least that much caution.  Unfortunately, it wasn't a vote-winner and the General Election was converted into a second Brexit vote by the people who most loudly shouted their opposition to a second Brexit vote.

40 minutes ago, aRdja said:

They’ve already started moving to Paris and/or Amsterdam.

Unless we fully lift trading restrictions and restrict taxable assets/incomes for foreign nationals, whilst also providing favourable immigration tiers and allowing anonymity through tax avoidance loopholes linked to tax havens then we have no chance of maintaining the status as financial ‘capital of the world’...

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Are you not moving to Australia?

As for democracy, I don't fucking think so.

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

You, an Australian, got to vote whereas I didn't because it was only an advisory referendum.